Author Topic: Firefighter Response System  (Read 28356 times)

Offline bert

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Firefighter Response System
« on: September 07, 2011, 09:47:45 AM »
Thought I would let you all know about the firefighter response system, we have just installed at the Mt Barker fire station, it’s an excellent system, the member simply presses a button on their phone, it’s a toll free number, don't have to talk to anyone and it logs your name on the computer at the station as responding (takes all of 5 seconds to do). Has already helped with managing the staffing on our trucks. Instead of wondering if 2 drivers are coming, or BA or RCR crew or in fact enough to actually send 2 trucks.
The developer has worked with us for some time now, adapting it to the Australian network/fire service. The website is http://www.advancedfrs.com/.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Firefighter Response System
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »
how much does it cost?
their website says $65 per month but implies that's flexible (I suspect it's way out of my brigade's budget though)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »
It depends on how many job your Brigade does per year and the amount of vollies you have using the system. I contacted FFRS and they said they are finalising costs for Australia.  Funny since they have already sold a system here!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »
Nice idea.... although I can see a problem with needing 24 hour internet access...

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

pumprescue

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:20:12 PM »
What a great idea, no more standing out the front wondering if anyone is actually coming or not !!

What a great sense of initiative from the Mt Barker crew.

I would think the reason for not being able to give a fixed price is that the Mt Barker one is the first one in the system. But still $65 is only $780 for the year, not a major expense really.

Regarding the internet, yes it might not work for everyone, but I can see it being a major advantage for a lot of brigades, and the busier they are the more cost effective, if you only did say a dozen calls a year you probably wouldn't bother as it would be costing you $65 a call!

flyonthewall

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:09:01 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong but.......

Has the Mt Barker crew implemented an operational system that only they seem to have?

Offline OldOne

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Long time SES member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:06:59 AM »
Interesting setup,  the only problem at this stage, from the web site,  is that the server is setup in the USA and all data must travel to/from the US including the phone call ACK's.    If overseas internet lines are down or congested you are OFF LINE in real time with your system.

The other day I sat in on a presentation of WebEOC,  at totally web based emergency operational software package that is used by a number of interstate agencies and throughout the USA including the military and is one that is being looked at for SA emergency agencies use.    The System would be a totally local server setup with all input/output data being web based you can even access it with your smart phones or Ipads.

OldOne.

SES Communications trainer

Offline fire8029

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 01:28:24 PM »
Its ok if you want to waste money, our brigade we always know whos around and whos not and are normally rolling in 5-6 minutes. dont see the point for us. some brigades it may be useful.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 03:10:09 PM »
I can see it not being a particularly useful for brigades like my own - small number of firefighters, and fairly low call rate.  I know generally who is around and who isn't.

But for a larger & busier brigade, I can see advantages in knowing who is responding to any given call.

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »
I could definatly see the benefit for our brigade with this system,, Reasonable callout rate to justify it and the fact a number of members live within 2 mins of the station and a larger number living 5-8 mins away,, usually being one of the first there it would be great to know who is coming and if we have enough for second truck.
The cost however may be the issue, it could stretch funds for other things we have or may need.

Well done Barker for finding a system that works for them
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 10:51:37 PM »
Any brigade could benefit from the tool.

Whether or not it would be financially viable for brigades is another thing.

Offline OldOne

• Long time SES member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 11:13:31 PM »
Remember the ongoing costs is in US dollars so any change in exchange rates and you could be looking at up to $1000 per year if the dollar goes below 90c in the future.

Then multiply that by 100+ brigades and you could have a 100K a year budget costing.  With that sort of money you could contract a custom package run locally with no real ongoing running cost in a year at most two.

For an offshore remote access system with an unknown monthly/yearly running costs due to the dollar exchange I think it would never be approved for wide scale local usage.   Also it would never interface with SACAD etc.
SES Communications trainer

flyonthewall

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 11:15:52 PM »
So is it right to think that this "service" that is being provided to the community has each brigade/station/crew? doing its own thing?

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 09:35:44 AM »
So is it right to think that this "service" that is being provided to the community has each brigade/station/crew? doing its own thing?

I would call it an "In house service" rather than a direct service to the community. No impact to the community, only a logistical in house tool for the Brigade.  Was TIMS a Brigade doing it's own thing? Look how that turned out...absolutely brilliant, with more than several stations adopting the system, not just of the CFS variety either.  :wink:

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 10:44:35 AM »
brigades or groups using their own initative and doing stuff themselves is the only way any new stuff like this finds it's way into the CFS.  If a brigade can come up with a system that they find beneficial to use then good on them.

you seem to have some sort of objection or concern Mr Flyonthewall?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:49:00 AM by Darius »

pumprescue

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
It has a massive impact on the service to the community !!

IT HELPS THEM MANAGE THEIR RESOURCES SO THEY CAN GET HELP TO THE COMMUNITY QUICKER WITH THE APPROPRIATE CREWS....

As for the impact on the CFS, who cares, it doesn't impact them, its a terrific management tool, and for a large town with almost every type of risk there is they need to be proactive in managing their resources.

Others could benefit to, I think those that think its a waste of time and money are looking at it the wrong way.

Anyway, how did this turn from passing on an idea to

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 12:50:44 PM »
What a great sense of initiative from the Mt Barker crew.

I would think the reason for not being able to give a fixed price is that the Mt Barker one is the first one in the system. But still $65 is only $780 for the year, not a major expense really.

You should probably give some credit to Morphette Vale for investigating this some time ago as part of the TIM system... ;)

http://www.safirefighter.com/boards/index.php?topic=1754.25

The idea of integrating it with TIM was also free for people already using it.

Having said that, the FRS looks pretty good (especially taking into account the rostering stuff).  I look forward to seeing the final cost they come up with.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 01:26:21 PM »
What are the major differences between TIMS and FRS, other than offshore processing ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
What are the major differences between TIMS and FRS, other than offshore processing ?

FRS is a remotely hosted online solution, so anyone can access it from anywhere, (with the right password).  This is a big advantage because it means duty officers (or even CRD) can check the system from anywhere.  Of course, it also means there are more points of failure, as it relies on multiple networks to operate.  The RFS system also allows for rostering (I believe) and the ability to call in and mark yourself as unavailable (so a duty officer can easily see who's in area).

The TIM system on the other hand is fully based at the local fire station. It attaches to a scanner or fire station interface to identify local responses and display them.  It cannot be accessed from outside, and is dependent on a single computer.  The ability to call in as responding is done by using caller ID on a phone line attached to a modem on that computer, so the system is essentially free.

The two are coming from different directions though, and fullfill different roles - the FRS is directed towards personnel management (who is available and who is responding) and TIMS is more about turnout management (what you're responding to and where it is).

flyonthewall

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 12:35:08 AM »
No problem here, I think it is a great idea, as has been mentioned, the trucks will roll quicker - this can only be a good thing.

I just find that it is not right to have one brigade using this system when it is clear that it would benefit all brigades regardless of callout stats and funds. In my opinion this would be an 'operational' modification to part of CFS turnout procedure, a suggestion for the better which I would have thought would be passing through a chain of command prior to being implemented............not just one brigade doing it because they can.

pumprescue

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 08:11:07 AM »
I understand but someone has to try it and get the notice to others that it exists, the very fact it's on here amongst other areas is a sign that they want to get it out there?!
I dont understand how you think it's a modification to the turnout system ? Nothing has changed, pager still goes, page still gets acknowledged and they still book mobile on 124, they just know who is coming and manage their crewing rather than hope for the best. Also, how do you know it hasn't gone through region? Maybe they weren't interested ?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:16:52 AM by pumprescue »

flyonthewall

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
pager still goes, page still gets acknowledged and they still book mobile on 124,

Do you mean 'they' as in the MT Barker crew or 'they' being a general term for all firefighters getting and responding to a call? -  I am an outsider looking in obviously!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:40:18 AM by flyonthewall »

Offline bert

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
No problem here, I think it is a great idea, as has been mentioned, the trucks will roll quicker - this can only be a good thing.

I just find that it is not right to have one brigade using this system when it is clear that it would benefit all brigades regardless of callout stats and funds. In my opinion this would be an 'operational' modification to part of CFS turnout procedure, a suggestion for the better which I would have thought would be passing through a chain of command prior to being implemented............not just one brigade doing it because they can.

FYI Our Group officer did involve region, prior to the trial of the system....

misterteddy

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 02:17:20 PM »
as a tool it offers some benefits I think, especially I guess for some where members have a bit of a distance to travel to the Station, although to be honest I'd much rather be sorting out directions/pre-plans or Comms in the truck, than being in the station looking at a computer waiting to update. Sort out a blue tooth feed to the Appliance Tablet PC and I'd be more interested.

Someone will ask I'm sure, in these times of fiscal economising, if you have $800ish a year to spend on such stuff, whether or not you need that $800 in your operating budget for the year to start with. If you want to fundraise for it.....I guess theres no real objection (apart from the whole subsidising a state Emergency service thing).

Well done on the initiative however....shame it couldnt come from those paid to show it

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »
For info the TIM version of this is just about ready for CFS use.

Although it doesn't look as fancy or have remote access capabilities, the basic function is the same - it will let you know who is responding.

Also, the infrastucture for TIM is currently being rolled out through the MFS metro stations in preparation for SACAD, soon all metro stations will be using it and there will be no more dispatching on VHF.

anything