Author Topic: Firefighter Response System  (Read 28359 times)

flyonthewall

Re: Firefighter Response System
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 04:23:30 PM »
Clear as mud!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:06:35 PM by flyonthewall »

Offline JJD

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 12:45:11 PM »
Clear as mud!

Good to see people explaining things when clarification has been sought!!!

99.9% (-ish this isn't an official statistic!) of the time, a CFS brigade will receive a response via a page from adelaide fire.

That page has to be acknowledged by each responding brigade within 6 mins or they will default. This can be done via phone or radio.

Once a crew has assembled and the appliance is ready to/leaving the station that appliance is to "book mobile" that is advise adelaide fire on that appliances response on their regional talkgroup. 124 for R1, 093 for R2, etc.

The FRS theoretically fits in between the turnout page and the appliance leaving the station but only at a local level. What it allows is the first 1 or 2 members or officers arriving at the station to have an idea of who else is responding and a general idea of how long they might be (assume they're responding from home or work and you may know how long that takes.).

Neither the FRS or TIMS should affect the way a brigade responds, just provide information on crewing and personnel...

Hope this helps!!
Hmmm, a large unused document that is extremely important, but knowone knows what is in it or what it does.

Must be related to some sort of government department... - Footy

Judge me on the service....not my payslip - misterteddy

pumprescue

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 06:14:50 PM »
It also allows for correct crewing, so for example you might take the first 4or 5 and go out the door, and have no idea who else is coming, but that first truck might have 2 drivers, so the second truck can't go - seen it and heard it on the radio many times "blah blah 24, we can't respond as we don't have a driver for the second truck"

Be interesting to hear how the trial goes after a few weeks.

flyonthewall

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 07:28:04 PM »
Thankyou JJD, your clarification helps me understand - as I had mentioned, I am an outsider looking in.  :-)

I have also noticed that this is a trial, which was not mentioned in the original post. I assume that the system will be given a timeframe before it is implemented, this is of course only if it works. What I find strange is that it appears to me that if one brigade cannot afford it or don't think they need it because of a low call rate then why have it! I realise that this is a money thing that induvidual brigades may or may not have to spend, so will the CFS management fund this or will it still be up to the induvidual brigades?

Aren't the CFS always saying that they want to be accepted as a more professional service?

I have worked alongside CFS crews that are lacking the correct personnel for the required job (eg. non BA qualified at domestic fire incidents, entry control managed by new CFS personnel - with MFS supervising) and I can definately see where this system will help get the right crew for the incident.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:21:21 PM by flyonthewall »

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 09:59:07 AM »
It's not a trial. If Brigades want the system they purchase it and use it.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »

What I find strange is that it appears to me that if one brigade cannot afford it or don't think they need it because of a low call rate then why have it!

I come from a small brigade, with a low call rate (only about 40 calls a year, and not many of them during week day)s

As the Captain, I generally know who is around during week days - a few members work locally, one is retired, and there are a few shift workers and students - so I really only need to keep a track of around 7 people (which is also made easier because two of them live in my household!).

My members tell me when they are going away on holidays, or when they are on AL and around during the day.

So on any given weekday, I have a pretty good idea of who is around, and their skill levels.

At $60 per month, plus the internet connection that we don't currently have, the system is a very expensive way of telling me what I pretty much know already.

For busy brigades, with higher membership levels, higher calls rates and additional skill responsibilities (eg RCR, Hazmat etc) it is much harder to keep track of who is available, and what skill levels those responding have.  A system that can quickly provide that information to the OIC can be useful.

This type of system, like may things in CFS, is not, and should not be, a one size fits all.

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline fire8029

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 02:34:53 PM »
I can see how it may benifit some CFS crews but for reginal MFS it would niot be required, you know when four people rock up at the station you can go because everyone has rcr, ba, hazmat, CFS should do the same, not qualified, dont ride.

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »
I can see how it may benifit some CFS crews but for reginal MFS it would niot be required, you know when four people rock up at the station you can go because everyone has rcr, ba, hazmat, CFS should do the same, not qualified, dont ride.

Amen to that, I can't get any training I want because I am a part of a very dedicated well trained brigade, great for the community but not so much for Johnny come lately's like me, and by that I mean not having 10 years under by belt. But that's all a topic for another thread.

pumprescue

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 09:05:37 PM »
It would be extremely useful for regional MFS, 99% of them struggle to get more than 1 truck out the door in a reasonable time, so this will let you know what if any are crew are coming, if a senior or officer is coming, and might mean a correct response is sent rather than 1 truck with a crew of 3 or having to wait 20 mins for a senior to come so you can respond. Also might mean you have to default....Also with the high turnover of retained staff you might have several crew that aren't full trained eg have only done the basic hose and ladders course so might only be allowed to ride as a 5th crew member.

Yes it does happen!

Offline PALE ALE

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »
My brigade has mobile phone at the station on permanently when we get a call if your responding you ring the number and a hang up first person at the station checks for missed calls and knows who's coming. Cost $0.00 to run simple fail safe system.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
Excellent if you have mobile phone coverage...... bad luck in my Group where more than half the brigades have no mobile phone coverage, or where the members are there is no coverage, so they can't ring!!

As I mentioned before, these systems cannot be one size fits all - but if something works for your brigade, then go with it!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline FlameTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 07:24:05 AM »
My brigade has mobile phone at the station on permanently when we get a call if your responding you ring the number and a hang up first person at the station checks for missed calls and knows who's coming. Cost $0.00 to run simple fail safe system.

Fail safe till the first major incident where everyone else in your area is on a mobile and the tower is congested. Or there is no tower because it fell over during all the shaking of a big earthquake. Mobile technology is great, but a long, LONG way from fail safe!
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

Offline PALE ALE

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 11:25:56 PM »
Flametree  if we were to have such an event the paging system would be up the creek as well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 05:58:12 PM by bittenyakka »

Offline FFS

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 08:24:56 PM »
Flametree  if we were to have such an event the paging system would be up the creek as well.
If such an event were to happen many of us would be heading to the station, page or no page. (ensuring the family is safe first of course)
Insert witty, amusing or profound quote here...

Offline CFS_fire32

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
Bert or anyone else from Mt Barker...

Interested to hear how the FFRS is working now that it has been in use for over 12 months? I believe that Nairne and/or Littlehampton have also adopted it?

What are the actual operating costs of the system?

anything