Author Topic: TOP CFS BRIGADES BYE BYE  (Read 25353 times)

helpme

Re: TOP CFS BRIGADES BYE BYE
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 06:29:23 PM »
J Squared, im not responding to 500 stops a year just saying those who attend calls withto MFS could are a getting shafted by the gov and CFS. I am from a brigade doesnt have MFS as neighbours, but if i did i would be handing them all the bullshit calls,  bin fires, car fires, alarms, fender benders, smoke in areas, the list goes on. Only the guys who are in it for the rush of it all enjoy going to these with all the bells and whistles (glory seeking).

By the way im as dedicated as you can get.  But can see people getting used up we get the shitty calls too but are usually able to filter the majority of them out before they reach the pagers (via alerts).

Ive also got a lot of respect for the urban fringe brigades as they usually do know there stuff and have all the training.

helpme

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 06:32:30 PM »
Couple of typos in that last one but you get the idea.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »
  But can see people getting used up we get the shitty calls too but are usually able to filter the majority of them out before they reach the pagers (via alerts).

Just curious how u filter "those" calls out that other fire brigades respond to through alerts??? Of course the calls come in for burnoffs that are known in the area etc that dont need a truck turned out to, is that what you meant by that statement?
Lt. Goolwa CFS

misterteddy

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »
the old someone else can do it and I'm ok syndrome...... Only want to be turned out for those jobs that are so called " good jobs"? JJ has it right....don't want to do the job as it is....don't join.

helpme

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 07:32:10 PM »
Thats it Big AL probably are able to filter between 10 -15 calls that dont need fire service attendance.

helpme

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »
I joined about 18 years ago Mr Ted plenty of experience with real jobs i attend about 75 % of the brigades total also go to all the crap jobs that come through the pagers when im around. If there is an emergency (real emergency) i have no issues at all. Will be there quick smart for the community. Just dont agree with the waist of vollys time if its not required.

helpme

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »
Also Big Al we seem to get called to lots of rubbish fires called in by passing motorist that are actually bon fires outside of fire season.  Tend to take the aproach if the owner of the property doesnt call then no response is realy needed, however if multiple 000 calls are taken we will go for a look. Rural areas mainly. No rules against burning here. Wouldnt not respond if we had any doubt.

Offline J Squared

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 08:02:56 PM »
I guess you can call me a 'glory seeker' responding to these 'shitty' calls then, but I can honestly say that every small job I have been to or been stopped en route to, no one has said that it was a complete waste of time or 'we shouldn't have been called to this'.

From my understanding of fire alarms too, the CFS is able to charge attendance fee's and part of the fee paid filters back into the brigades group. So claiming that this is a bullshit call reflects poorly on the service, and we all know how ignoring alarm calls can end up! (http://www.safirefighter.com/boards/index.php?topic=836.0)

Finally I can safely say that a few of these urban brigades were well established before any MFS presence, so sacrificing more of our area sounds ridiculous. Hypothetical, if we lose a stretch of road and nine out of ten MVA's located on this strip are only minor (apparent BS calls), what about the tenth job called in? could be something more serious...

Remember not to believe everything you see on your pager, it comes through as second and third hand information sometimes and a Vehicle Accident may have a lot more to it than spill only.

helpme

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2011, 08:37:14 PM »
Yes i agree with the pager not being correct alot of the time. The old alerts system was probably the best still had SOC on line to type in the details and send the page but we were able to speak direct to the caller and ask for more info on the job before responding. Now adelaide fire receive a call and send somone quiet often on a wild goose chase.

Offline John

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »
Help Me, your suggestion regarding closing the metro interface CFS brigades makes sound business sense, however you have been unfairly attacked because many volunteers only look at issues through "emotion".

In the last 20 years the city has encroached into the country and brigades like Salisbury, Dalkeith, Tea Tree Gully, Athelstone, Burnside, Happy Valley, Morphett Vale and Seaford are now located in "the city".

Their response areas have dramatically reduced and in most cases are surrounded by MFS fire stations. Then they complain when they respond with MFS only to arrive when the job is over...Hello....isn't this telling the CFS something, that paid fire fighters located at the fire station will always respond faster than volunteers who have to leave their jobs etc and drive to their fire station?

Then CFS members complain they are responded to "crap" jobs !!! In any fire service there are never any "crap" jobs because all jobs have the potential to be life threats..People who complain about "crap" jobs need to consider if they should belong in a fire service.

Finally these urban brigades were orginally left in place to protect the urban interface...conservation parks etc. However DENR and SA Water now have highly trained, more experienced, paid firefighters that perform this role today.

The fire fighting world has changed in South Australia yet no one is willing to "bite the bullet" and close these urban brigades.. in the meantime they take large amounts of the CFS budget away from the other 350 or so other "Country" Fire Service brigades.

Yes Help Me you are on the money with your view point.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 12:30:12 AM »
John, DENR & SA WATER dont have crews on 24/7 so the fires in the middle of the night might be a problem! at least until a recall is undertaken.

SAMFS need to sink a standpipe....Good luck with that through a lot of the urban interface, as there is no reticulated water!

I pity the C.O or political party that tries to close one of these long standing volunteer stations, they might just as well shoot Bambi!

Help Me, some of what you say has some truth to it, but closing volunteers stations would give volunteers a rally point and a cause, thereby uniting the service and all politicians understand that is not desirable, we are best kept fractured and unempowered!

So go on C.O or Politicians, I dare you.....in fact,  I double dare you!!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

misterteddy

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 01:10:17 AM »
is it just me or is there a rash (the collective noun) of new trolls suddenly infesting us?..... whats with the new guys with 2 or 3 posts all bagging the Service?....finally get to the SDF Module that shows u how to use a computer?

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 07:54:32 AM »
Or a person that has always been on here trying to stir a bit of crap by using different names. I'm sure the mod's would be looking at those IP address's to see if we are being had here.

It does seem odd that within a couple of days two new members with identical views pop up to bag everyone, just saying...

helpme

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 08:11:28 AM »
Cheers John good to see a bit of suport.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 08:54:51 AM »
Sorry been away last week, might end this now