Author Topic: More on Private Providers  (Read 26341 times)

Offline kellyp

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
More on Private Providers
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:41:53 AM »
A new licensed private provider will be looking for experienced ambo's and amb nurses with uni quals with on road exp.

Apparently, they will be seeking to appoint co-director/partners experienced in amb ops to operate the service in SA.

Will keep an eye out for this one for sure.

Kellyp

misterteddy

Re: More on Private Providers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »
and who might that be this time?

Offline FlameTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
and who might that be this time?

Fly By Night Patient Services??  :-D
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

Offline kellyp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »
Fly By Night Patient Services??  :-D
[/quote]

Hello Shoes 1970,

It appears you have no faith in anything that could possibly a service you cannot undertake. There are many an old 1970 'Jacks' crew members and quasi members who distrust anything new.
Have a look at IMS, they are doing it right, so what did you want to say about them 'Flybynighters Perhaps'. Get a life sunshine or just grow up.

Regards
Kellyp

Offline FlameTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
And for the one success of IMS, how many others have tried and failed? Not only in SA but other states as well?

Yes, I am a former St John volunteer. Note former. I have no vested interest in whether a new PTS service succeeds or fails. I do not work in the emergency service sector at all, so it doesnt affect my job security.

If it works, good luck to them.

History suggests they wont.
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

misterteddy

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 01:53:33 PM »
IMS is a success?....

So Kelly.....instead of attacking someone who really didnt have a shot at your company....maybe you could answer my query???...

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »
Yeh who?

I hear Alan Joyce is looking for new business opportunities.

Offline FlameTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »
IMS is a success?....

Well.....they're still operating....so far......

Offline kellyp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:06:02 AM »
Hello Mister Teddy,

My apologies to Shoes1970 and the forum as I was not meaning to demeans any member with any perceived vitriol. I just stated the obvious, that being there are knockers out there who make comment without first enquiring.You asked and perhaps others should have also.
Anyway in answer to you original question; I cannot give any direct answer as I was informed in passing from a Sth Australian Ambo.

My business is not of any consequence but for you readers I am simply a removalist.

Regards

Kellyp
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:49:08 PM by kellyp »

Offline kellyp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »
Hello Mister Teddy,

My apologies to Shoes1970 and the forum as I was not meaning to demeans any member with any perceived vitriol. I just stated the obvious, that being there are knockers out there who make comment without first enquiring.You asked and perhaps others should have also.
Anyway in answer to you original question; I cannot give any direct answer as I was informed in passing from a Sth Australian Ambo.

My business is not of any consequence but for you readers I am simply a removalist.

Regards

Kellyp

Hello fellow Forum Users,

Further to the above reply I would like to add the following items.

My business occurs at the very end of life. I work in the funeral industry and many professionals would have passed  by me many times with not a blink of the eye. I do my job as professionally as do ambo's and firies and was a former Jack (SJA) 4 years (not in SA). I also hold the necessary and appropriate qualifications in ambulance studies.

Regards
Kellyp

Offline Baboon145

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 09:41:14 PM »
As I'm new to this site I'll try not to ruffle to many feathers in one go. Tell me boys and girls. When your time ends in the ambulance service where will you go?
What are your quolls worth in the big wide world?
Very few end up retiring from the service from age!

Think before you answer........

misterteddy

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:25:13 PM »
As I'm new to this site I'll try not to ruffle to many feathers in one go.

well you're just not going to fit in around here then......  :evil:

Offline Numpty2012

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 06:59:09 AM »
As I'm new to this site I'll try not to ruffle to many feathers in one go. Tell me boys and girls. When your time ends in the ambulance service where will you go?
What are your quolls worth in the big wide world?
Very few end up retiring from the service from age!

Think before you answer........

Your language, 'spelling' and tone is very similar to our medicated friend once active on the topic of privates  :roll:

Jobs for conversion and degree paramedics:
Mining and Exploration Sector $100k
Offshore Gas Platforms $100k +
Ships - name your price
Rehabilitation Consultant (degree qualifies) $80k

Jobs for exSJA ambulance or CertIII PTO
Ice cream truck driver
Taxi
Funeral home pick up service & forum trolling  :-D

Offline kellyp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »
Baboon 145 has made a good point.

If you feed bananas you get monkeys....

Offline Baboon145

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
Point taken all.
I'm in the mining industry and work for a number of providers.
So rubbishing me and my spelling is just juvenile and hair splitting.
The point is.
What will you do when you've had enough, when the politics fry you, because the job won't.
I'm all for national and state licensing of paramedics so  that, like nurses there is a register of qualifications and a license to practice, so  that the title of paramedic is again recognized.
Currently any first aider can call himself a paramedic.
I've worked hard for my quolls and find that, repugnant.
Having stated my thoughts. I have in the past worked for paramedical services and I will state to you all that my memorie of them back in the early 2000's is interesting. Let's say we were slave labour with no protection. I used to call it paraledical circus.
At that time if you wanted to stay a paramedic after state service, it was ether them or work care, and that was
it. No mining ,no private providers and quals that were not recognized outside of the state service.
Today there are a number of health dept ment approved providers out their, the choice also means the hacks will fall by the way side. As more competition come on line the various state governments will be be forced to regulate the industry.this will take time and patients and hopefully som real court prosecutions.
Maybe then via privat industry, paramedics will finally be recognized as a profession and be paid accordingly.
At present the quolls are not degrees they are advanced diplomas in paramedic science. You are not payed graduate salaries (start at 60,000/y). You are paid wages . I can't see state services suddenly pay an ICP From 55000 base to 150000 salary grade ten which is where it should be if  it was classified as a profession.
In terms of mining jobs. Try get one.
There is currently a flood of ex military, uk and us medics and the pay for FIFO is starting to go down. The last job I was offered was 500/day on site, for a 12h shift and on call during the night.
You talk about evill.
Rubbishing private services is nuts.
Patient care is the number one component of every protocol. If it's only eliteism that's the problem, then patient care is compromised.
As a private provider I assist state services with appropriate treatment and good hangovers. Good out comes all round.
I am accountable totally and personally for every pt I touch if I stuff up I loose my house and go to jail and that's what working outside the state service ultimately means.
You guys can stuff up all you want, the service will be prosecuted not you. That's your protection in the Act.
Thank god you cull your own.
Accountability....

This I think wil be a really god debate.
Let's go.....

Offline Baboon145

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 08:32:28 PM »
I ment to say Hand over not hangover. #!&?@# IPAD..
Sorry guys.

Offline amboman69

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 11:22:48 PM »
Baboon should not find it repugnant that any first aider can call themselves a paramedic - it is just a name that sounds cool and has been claimed by the industry as a mark of professionalism.  When I started with SAAS "ALS" was the standard for the multitudes and "Paramedics" were the elite.  Then one day at the stroke of a pen, every Diploma graduate became a "Paramedic", and the old Paramedics became "Intensive Care Paramedics".

Registration is a different matter.  Paramedicine or pre hospital care needs people with many different levels of skill, and any national push for registration should encompass all in the industry, not just those with a degree. - This includes the career (emergency) professional, the non emergency sector - and even volunteers.  Maybe then it wouldn't matter whether you worked for metro SAAS, the privates or on a country vollee station - you would still be a professional.

Offline Blackfoot

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »
Check out this private provider.

Offline Numpty2012

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 06:41:38 PM »
So it looks like anyone with $1,500-$2000 to buy a 1980's Ford Ambulance can set up without an Ambulance licence or regulation. Who looks after clinical governance? Who authorises controlled substances (if they use any at all)? What level of professional indemnity insurance or qualifications are in place?

How did this Ford Ambulance gain SA registered plates (pictured) to allow it to be driven on road when the fitting of a red light that flashes is a breach of Road Traffic Act in SA and by virtue of fitting these lights automatically renders the vehicle as non-compliant with registration, Act and regs. (or were they fitted after registration?).

When is the government going to start addressing first aid & event providers "holding out" as something they are not. If it looks like an Ambulance then it darn well is an Ambulance and therefore needs to be treated as such including all the oversight and regulation.

Gillman Speedway is extremely high risk stuff.  Only a matter of time before the preverbial hits the fan. Unfortunately someone's kid is going to be the test subject.

Rumour is St Johns are moving away from the higher risk events due to whole of organisation risk. Could just be rumour (happy for SJA to correct that statement if not correct).

But what type of services are popping up?  bearing in mind event organisers want St Johns type rates (volunteer services small $$ charged). SAAS are correctly overpriced as part of cost recovery for having a professional Emerg service on standby.

If this provider pictured is licensed and ticks all the governance boxes then I will eat my hat (liabilty/indemnity insurance alone is more than the cost of the Ford Ambulance pictured).

misterteddy

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »
Numpty....firstly, I agree with the general thrust of your sentiments. I suspect that our charity friends at EMT provide this service as that vehicle looks like their old one (with a paint job and new lights) and the first aid attendants leaning on the vehicle look like they are dressed like EMT uniforms. Community ambulance service must have a different definition out west  :lol:

However a few of your comments are worthy of reply;
a)If the vehicle is not driven on the road and remains on private property (ie the speedway), you can call it what you want and put whatever coloured lights on it you like.
b)It could be argued that the vehicle is a industrial rescue vehicle, and is therefore able to legally display Red lights under the Australian Road Traffic Act, including on public roads. The legality of actually turning them on and using them as emergency lights is a different matter and the SAPOL advice is that this will be dealt with on a case by case basis. Park in the Westfield Marion carpark with them on impressing your mates, you'll probably be impounded and fined. Turn them on at an MVA you come across whilst you provide assistance, thereby protecting yourself and the patient - probably ok.
The use of the term Ambulance.....that one is pretty dodgy without an exemption, but then again the EMT brethren have an exemption still don't they?

Sadly, I'm sure that Gillman don't understand the implications (other than they are getting a dubious service no doubt very cheap). All the more reason that Paramedic Australia's moves to legally protect the term Paramedic, and the national registration of Paramedics should be supported to weed out the pretenders.

Offline straps

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »
Rumour is St Johns are moving away from the higher risk events due to whole of organisation risk. Could just be rumour (happy for SJA to correct that statement if not correct).

St John are not 'moving' away from higher risk events per se... They are seeking to work with the various regulatory sporting competition bodies of the higher risk events that are covered to ensure that the event medical service provided meets the minimum requirements of the regulatory body. Examples of such bodies include CAMS, MASA, NASR and ANDRA...

The organisation is keen to ensure that a sound match is achieved between what a regulatory body requires, its own clinical skillsets and capabilities and the expectations and requirements of the end user - competitors / patrons etc.

St John certainly seeks event organiser risk assessments to utilise as part of determining event acceptance and coverage. Whilst it is still in somewhat of an immature stage, the use of risk management methodologies regarding events is evolving internally and is maturing across the organisation.

With a more robust risk management framework around its event work, it then seeks to create opportunities for the organisation...

I am aware that there will always be sceptics and critics but change has to start with the smallest step and I am confident that the last 18 months - 2 years has seen some positive change...

As for the Gillman event medical provider, along with any other private provider - I suggest that people explore what Professional Indemnity and public liability insurances are held along with the integrity of the providers equipment, clinical governance framework and pharmacological scheduling / licensing and management... (just to list a few considerations)... St John recently (4 - 6 months ago) published an internal memo regarding private providers to its membership regarding its existing members whom might wish to work for them... It wasn't creating a negative slant but rather attempting to assist members to make an informed choice / decision...

Cheers
Shane

Offline Blackfoot

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 06:39:33 AM »
Sorry guys - EMT Ambulance has nothing to do with the Gillman Speedway service. Might be one of our old vehicles and uniforms look same. Perhaps look at some disaffected ex Johnnies who might be running this outfit.

Offline FlameTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
I would like to challenge Numpty's insinuation (and apologies if I have mis-ead it) that only a SAAS (or equivalent) paid crew is a "professional" crew.

Professionalism isnt judged by a pay packet. It is judged by an attitude, by a skill level and by a general holistic way of looking at things.

I would love to see a 2nd year student paramedic rock up to a job, with someone akin to Dr Bill Griggs wearing at St John volly uniform, and the paramedic student telling the Dr Griggs type person that they were a professional and to move out of the way.

Get sick and tired of the attitude of "if I get paid, I am a professional". Met plenty of paid emergency service workers who are anything but that not just medically based).

Offline Numpty2012

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »
Flametrees. I was playing the ball not the man.

The ball being the provider organisation (legal entity or ma n' pa self employed partnership).

The ball being appropriate licensing, holding out, professional indemnity and public liability insurance for medical services, ambulance equipment/specifications, vehicle ADR compliance,  qualifications/training, clinical governance, medical director oversight, controlled substances approvals and pharmacology guidelines and the list goes on.

Didn't play the man .. Although I did very much like the "medical advisor" label on the high vis vest. Unless that is a doctor pictured I would suggest that the general public could be left with an incorrect impression as to what that person is.

Fact remains that even the most skilled and qualified Paramedic is not covered to provide pre-hospital care and treatment if they are out working (self employed or otherwise) without the employing entity having in place all the clinical governance, systems and appropriate approvals.

Offline FlameTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »
Oh totally agree, and I think I misinterpreted your comments.

Having just come back from Tasmania, I must say how suprised I was at the prolific presence of alternative providers, with red and blues,even with things like "first response" and "rapid intervention" on them. Yet also seemed to be TAS Ambulance sprint / TL type vehicles in abundance as well.