Special Interest Image Posting > Emergency Vehicles

New 24 prototype

<< < (9/9)

Pipster:
or fits better into some existing stations...... ?

Pip

BundyBear:
I think the CFS needs to have a standardised fleet, brigades going out and doing their own thing should be pulled in. What CFS brigades respond to if you looked at the frequency and severity are not unique or special incidents in the main, if you sat down put a decent case study together and risk assessed their claims I feel most would fall over.

You could simply achieve a good fleet by building the appliances listed below or similar and have solid review systems in place before each build contract is put into place to ensure continuous improvement.

• QAV - 4wd ute
• Light Rural - 1000L 4wd crew deck
• Heavy Rural - 3000L 4wd crew deck 2 x CABA
• Urban/Rural - 2000L 4wd no crew deck larger pump, 4 x CABA and RCR if required.
• Pumper - 2wd larger pump again, longer hose reels, 4 x CABA, and RCR if required and strategically placed at large rural centres and the urban fringe.

Then you could look at strategically placing purpose built HAZMAT and Heavy Rescue tenders across the state to provide coverage to country SA.
Just an idea!

Pipster:
And how about adding a 44 to that mix... lots of water, bugger all equipment - which is all a large number of single appliances stations across the state could do with...

Add to that a number of smaller stations in the Adelaide Hills (like mine!) that need something small enough to get around the area, but large enough to carry say 2 BA (currently rural - urban classification, as opposed to urban - rural!)

And again, many areas need Bulk Water carriers,

The list you have there BundyBear is pretty close to the fleet that CFS builds now (although one could argue the numbers of each type being allocated could be changed!)

Pip

BundyBear:
Yeah agree with a 44 would be benefical to remote brigades and agree the types are close to what we see but I'd look at alterations to locker layout,pump sizes, engine sizes, the overall quality of the fleet being built considering fire appliances stay in service for some time. Also dont get into that whole rural/urban - urban/rural thing kind of like CFS SFEC's a very old joke!

Tankers or BWC sorry left them off the list but pretty much required without saying.

An example is the 34P, most I've seen are located on the urban fringe and larger rural centres (probably could have pumpers, but I'll leave that alone). On those you could question the crew deck, the locker layout is apalling, pumps could be bigger and soon as they need to climb a decent hill they're embarrassing. Plus look at the build quality some are put together badly!

Also definately agree with your statement of overhaulling the system into where, what and why appliances are located. Plus a better fllet roation system, does a new appliance need to go to a brigade that turns out bugger all?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version