Author Topic: emergency command  (Read 86579 times)

Offline riptide

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
emergency command
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
well looks like our old mate that 'assisted' us at mva.s and the like with his old vp commodore wagon badged up as 'emergency command' and the names of each emergency services agency is back....in a all new blue vt commodore already badged up as emergency command and a nice big aerial!!! No orange light yet though!!! ....   
When he came into work i quizzed him on it and he told me that its is own buisness and he gets called upon to help us, the mfs and saas with there radio work and that he used to drive euan around in 1 of his 6 cars that were stored around the place ...region 1 and 4 , one at -+ and 3 at 6

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: emergency command
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:55:10 AM »
Do we have a rego / photo ?

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 06:35:50 AM »
I hate cars that are made to look like police or fire cars, just Wannabes.

Offline straps

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »
Is he a member of any of the emergency services as well, by chance..???

Offline riptide

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »
pip- not correct place to be putting up rego but yes i have it::
Shane- not that im aware of, hes not a member of cfs or even st john

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
Depending upon what he is claiming, it may well be illegal, as opposed to just being a wannabe

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »
PIP what is the law on this? Lots of vehicles that try the emergency services look. Does it apply for security companies as well?

Offline straps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »
I would think that it's not so much what the vehicle looks like (although that would be part of it), it's more what he is purporting or holding himself out to be something that he isn't that is the greater problem...!!!

Offline FlameTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »
If he "helps out with radio"...how has he got a GRN, and where is his GRN accreditation to even be using the GRN?????
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »
Not if he helps out at all, what eso would associate themselves with a try hard like that. Perhaps someone should confront this idiot.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 07:07:49 PM by Alan (Big Al) »
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:12:24 PM »
I would think that it's not so much what the vehicle looks like (although that would be part of it), it's more what he is purporting or holding himself out to be something that he isn't that is the greater problem...!!!

You got it in one straps!!

It is illegal to hold yourself out to be a member of CFS / SES / MFS if you are not such.

While I haven't read the case law on this, I would expect that you wouldn't have to actually say "I am a member of the XXXX service"  in order for it to be illegal.  You could have to look at what impression people get by your behaviour - that may be enough in court for you to be found guilty of impersonation.

As for badging on your private vehicle - I haven't looked at the specifics of that under the Regs, but the issue of the impression it gives to members of the public as to who you are / what you do, could contribute to the impersonation issue above.

As for the issue of a GRN...... I wouldn't think it is illegal for you to have a GRN radio in your vehicle, if you were not an member of the emergency service (after all, for a while, they were installed in vehicles belonging to Council fire prevention Officers) - but you would have to be officially sanctioned by a specific service to have one.

Pip

Offline sapolpd

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »

Its definitely about what perception he gives. Unless he has an ID of SAAS, SES, CFS, MFS or SAPOL he is hindering. I would suggest perhaps pass the details up your food chain and they can raise with whoever they liaise with from SAPOL about local issues. Or contact me off group.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 08:16:01 AM »
This guy went quiet for about 12 months, obviously he is back now in a different vehicle.

We know who he is and where he lives and SAPOL are well aware of him as well.

Given the frequency at which he used to self respond to our incidents previously it will be interesting to see if he starts turning up again.

Yes he is a menace, and a wannabee but lets leave it to the correct people to deal with.

Offline riptide

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 12:20:07 PM »
yeah thats how ive left it, he did seem to favour our group a bit... being a local... just think u could have a really EXCITED guy for that new pumper lol

anything