Author Topic: fire extinguisher service  (Read 6110 times)

rescue5271

fire extinguisher service
« on: September 24, 2005, 09:07:25 PM »
How many brigade's/group's get there portable fire extinguishers serviced every 6 months?? I am really amazed at the number of groups that dont and that they did not know they should be done and who should do this. MMMMMMMMMMMMM what would happen if you got to a small job and it did not work??? or it was full of rust and when you went to use it the gauge said full but was empty?? I have seen this of late and may be its about time CFS sent out information about getting these serviced....

corocfs

Re: fire extinguisher service
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 11:10:22 PM »
serviced regularly...

strikeathird

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 06:03:43 PM »
^ Same.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 06:10:08 PM »
I think we get ours done annually... does that count? ;)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 09:57:34 AM »
Maybe we could add that to the service sheet - for all stations:
CABA, Appliances, Extinguishers, Electrical tagging, safety switches, generators, chainsaws, rescue pumps, fire fighting pumps, emergency station lighting, exit signs, comms equipment (Hazmat brigades), ropes, ladders the list goes on and on.

But you have a good point - there is allot of equipment that industry have checked annually or part there of as part of the OH&S requirements - however we seam to overlook them in out maintenance, testing and checking!

Would be a good project for tech services to look at  :-D
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 08:27:20 PM »
Crikey I'm suprised that the extinguisher service people haven't tapped your market!!!

We had a tribe of them here competing for business and cutting each others lunches to the point they were overserviced.

Now done 12 montlhy.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

rescue5271

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 01:50:05 PM »
I am always willing to offer a good service price to CFS and you can  have a yearly service, as that is what most groups are doing. the aust stands say every six months but lets face it some brigades do more work than others.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 01:56:38 PM »
What's Brigade workload got to do with how often the extinguishers are serviced? If they're used of course they are immediately recharged but as a first aid type fire measure I've very, very rarely used one at an incident.

Interesting that AS says every six months, it was Region who advised that 12 months was more than adequate.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 07:32:05 AM »
Kat,some brigades use them all the time on small things rather than get the hose line,its funny that a region would say once a year is good enough for a service but the AUST STANDS 1851 state's every six months for a service for level one service and every 12 months for a level 2 if you are getting it done once a year I would hope its a level two service as foam has to be replaced every year on 9lt foam's Then there are pressure testing and so on...

Offline junior

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 10:16:27 PM »
although groups vary in service periods, they do not have an exemption for not complying with the standards 1851.
group funding takes into account servicing of portable equipment as this is why groups are allocated funds. too many groups decide to by non  standard stowage and other items which is fine but only once all the operational equipment is brought up to CFS standards. As for 12 monthly servicing of equipment this also goes against the work cover regulations in which the CFS gets covered by the government,i believe the CFS brigades need to keep in mind the legal responsibility it has each time they roll out on a job.
also how many brigades check there first aid kits ??? you would be surprised.

This is my view only and not a criticism of any person or brigade

Wagon 1

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 08:27:42 AM »
But shouldn't CFS HQ or the Region be keeping tabs on things like this, because at the end of the day they are going to wear it if things go wrong.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 03:43:08 PM »
Fire Extinguishers = 12 Months
First Aid Kits = 12 Months ( arranged with local SAAS/St Johns)

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 07:08:34 AM »
I recently did a service on a dry chem 9kg that had not been serviced in 7 years,it was over due on a pressure test and when done a pin hole was found in the body. I spoke to the person in the group and he said he did not feel that they should be serviced twice a year?? When i showed him a copy of AUST STAND 1851 he changed his mind and asked me to give a quote to do the whole group. May be someone up the ladder needs to make sure they get done..

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 09:06:47 AM »
We get ours done once a year as the GO thinks any more than that we are wasting money. But he has said if we can prove it needs to be done more than that it will change so I will have a look to where it written and give them a copy.

Offline junior

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 12:39:56 AM »
Fire Extinguishers = 12 Months
First Aid Kits = 12 Months ( arranged with local SAAS/St Johns)

fire extinguisher are covered by Australian standard 1851 which states extinguishers are to be serviced at 6 monthly intervals and fireblankets on an annual basis , this is a Federal agency and is the only standard used 12 monthly checks are only valid if you are defense or airports, commercial fishing are 12month survey.
just check with the service contractor on the validity of the certificate as i issue 6 months cover from day of service as i am sure they do, well if they are complying with the AS1851

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 07:58:23 PM »
There has just been a update to AS1851-

1) fire blankets every 6 months
 2) no more level 3 service on air water's but here in SA
    you can still have it done due to our hard water.

all other extinguishers are 6 monthly and remember that
   foam extinguishers need to be have there contents changed
   yearly.

anything