Author Topic: DENR  (Read 7869 times)

Offline FlameTrees

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
DENR
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »
Heard a big piece of news this morning that DENR staff were advised there would be staff cuts of 25% in 2 weeks.

All seasonal contracts will be cancelled, and redundancies done for permanent staff.

Could have some big implications for the CFS.
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

misterteddy

Re: DENR
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »

less campaign fires  :lol:

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »
Less call outs to burn offs gone wrong  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 07:00:14 PM »
Heard a big piece of news this morning that DENR staff were advised there would be staff cuts of 25% in 2 weeks.

All seasonal contracts will be cancelled, and redundancies done for permanent staff.

What implications would they be ?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »
Any word on why the cuts were suddenly necessary? Have they had budget cuts, or has the money just run out?

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »
Didnt they recently get all this money to employ more people?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline FlameTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »
Something to do with the Government slash and burn scorched earth policy.

Implications for CFS could be the fact that due to not hiring seasonal casuals now, the PB schedule would probably be significantly reduced meaning more growth in the parks, and more liklihood of fires that DENR wont be able to deal with on their own.

"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

bizfro

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »
Hmmm well theres no word of this in the Mount Lofty Region yet. This would be a great way to find out I'm losing my job. Perhaps this relates to next season because as far as the ops officers attitudes are, they're in full swing to get 80 burns done in the autumn season. Without revealing too much, where did you hear this Flametrees?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 07:50:41 PM »
Something to do with the Government slash and burn scorched earth policy.

Implications for CFS could be the fact that due to not hiring seasonal casuals now, the PB schedule would probably be significantly reduced meaning more growth in the parks, and more liklihood of fires that DENR wont be able to deal with on their own.

How many fires do DENR actually deal with on their own that they havent started themseleves?
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:34:24 PM »
Good question Al DENR do respond to fires they havent started themselves if they are requested to respond or a fire is in one of their national parks or native vegetation corridors 
Kalangadoo Brigade

bizfro

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 10:42:31 PM »
A crew is supposed to be responded to any fire within 2kms of Parks. And as Robert said, if requested by CFS a crew will respond. Whether this happens all the time is another matter.

I would be surprised if this rumour were true as there has been quite a sum of money invested into new HC bwc's and work trucks with fire capabilities. And the amount of money invested into preparation of burnoffs for the following year is stupidly large to just cut off funding. But we'll see, crazier things have happened and we are all public servants after all. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Offline FlameTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
I heard this though a colleague, who's spouse is fairly senior within DENR.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
interesting i was told DENR have kept seasonal crew on longer to complete the large number and large sized burns this autumn.

Offline FlameTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 12:41:34 PM »
It's possible the information I was given was not 100% accurate, or the timings may be incorrect.

Just like anything SA Government related, only beleive it when it's happened, and been in place for 20 years.

Offline Jackthehound

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »
I can not get an honest answer from anyone in DENR about the seasonal contracts.Everytime someone tells me something in regards to them it is different everytime.
After talking to upper management, we are not good enough to employ fulltime,as we may become a workcover liability.
On top of that,apparently "work contracts" are a way of managing an "aging work force".

anything