Author Topic: Wirrabara - Maps and Vols  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Skillsy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Wirrabara - Maps and Vols
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:55:48 PM »
Hi,
  I am interested in obtaining the latest line scan map available to the public of the Wirrabara burn area. Does anyone know where I can get one please?

Secondly how the vols coping with the requirements of long shifts during the "non-fire" season and have strike teams been easily filled? It must be hard telling the boss you need to duck off for a day or two.

Skillsy

pumprescue

Re: Wirrabara - Maps and Vols
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
They are struggling to fill strike teams because of the time commitment and the fact the fire was a stuffed up burnoff which people are paid to undertake.

Offline FlameTrees

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »
Actually it was not a "stuffed up" burn off. The actual story is that the burn off did spot ahead. There were 2 QAV's and a Fireking there. When the spot happened, the Fireking broke down, and the QAV's couldnt get to the spot, and then it just got away.

There was also minimal wind at the location of the burn, which is why it went ahead.
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

pumprescue

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:18:42 PM »
Errrrm how is that not a stuff up then? Oh that's right your a CFS staff member....

Offline FlameTrees

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
No, I'm not a staff member. I am a vollie.

So...a vehicle breaks down at a critical moment......you really think that falls into the "stuff up" category and not "one of those things" categories.

Well we better start counting the amount of times we actually "stuff up" then....it will be a lot more, and a lot more public.

I agree DENR have a high fail rate, but this really should not be put in the fail category. It was just one of those unfortunate things, were a few factors went against the situation at the same, wrong time.
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

pumprescue

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »
We fail everyday, just pure luck no one notices....

misterteddy

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »
Actually it was not a "stuffed up" burn off. The actual story is that the burn off did spot ahead. There were 2 QAV's and a Fireking there. When the spot happened, the Fireking broke down, and the QAV's couldnt get to the spot, and then it just got away.

There was also minimal wind at the location of the burn, which is why it went ahead.

I'm sorry, what firefighting school did you go to???....a spotting burnoff = fail in most firefighters minds that I know.

DNR burnoffs these days are just small, and sometimes contained  bushfires, NOT the cool burns that clear undergrowth and dont adversely affect wildlife and flora. I'm a fan of using burns as a tool in bushfire management.....but DNR are currently either incapable, untrained or negilgent in their conduct.

Start billing them like we do private citizens for alarm calls - oh thats right, we're the Castrated Fire Service. No balls!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »
So...a vehicle breaks down at a critical moment......you really think that falls into the "stuff up" category and not "one of those things" categories.

If you're reliant on a single vehicle to keep a burnoff under control, and the failure of that vehicle means you lose the burn, shouldn't you have a backup plan that doesn't involve calling in the airforce and half the CFS?

Offline Jackthehound

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »
FlameTrees, it is a pity you have not got all the facts straight.