Author Topic: Budget Capers  (Read 3041 times)

misterteddy

Budget Capers
« on: June 01, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
so the usual smoke and mirrors, fishes and loaves, media releases and bullshit promises was evidenced again in the Budget.

A much needed (/sarcasm) $8mil plus investment in our Emergency Services I note the media release says....but what does it mean for the CFS -

1. At some stage we are going to get lightweight BA Sets and/or Cylinders. The maths says that maybe not all 1200 sets could replaced together with a full complement of 300Bar cylinders for the money offered - so who's going to get the old crappy stuff?

2. Yay! We get to share 6 new training officers with the SES as part of in increase in training money. CFS is already over-represented in training positions verses training provided (26 Training related roles - Not including the 17 Community Training people, in the latest Org Chart on the website) so what on earth are the new 3 or 4 going to do? If you look at the $2.6mil offered (over 4 years), and take into account the new staff salaries and on costs (super etc), then theres around $150k a year extra to address the current backlog of training, let alone look at new stuff.

3. Apparantly the CFS do Water Search and Rescue - where do I sign up for that course?

Chief - I know you read the forum. Hows about we start again and look at a fundamental restructure of the Service and put the meagre resources  in the right places, rather than continuing to feather one particular untouchable sacred cow.

CVSVA - wheres your response? Why wasnt it in the paper today?  It's not meeting what you put to the chief and Minister as "must be addressed", why havent you said something? Why arent you reflecting what your members want? Why is it when i look on your website to check I havent missed a media relase in response to the budget, and look at the list of Current Issues from the Feb meeting, is there no mention of training or access to training, but Will Kits and extending the Expiry Date of National Parks passes do.  Why do you exist?

pumprescue

Re: Budget Capers
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »
The issue I have is none of this is long term funding, its just a 1 off for air sets, which is WELL overdue, with a few dollars to put into training is like adding a home brand band aid.

The house fire at Oakbank was a classic example of how bad the training and staff leadership has become. How about we look at these jobs and help the poor vols. But at least we will have 18 BA sets that can collect dust in the lockers whilst we call another 7 brigades to scrape together 8 operators, remembering that 4 of them came on 1 truck. That is just one example of what is going wrong out there.

Please look at this Chief, I wouldn't want to be in charge of the CFS, good luck to you mate.

misterteddy

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »
The issue I have is none of this is long term funding, its just a 1 off

I quite agree with you pump (makes a nice change hey). One off trinkets to keep the natives sated

Even worse is the message from the Chief that says that the CFS doesnt even have a plan on how/what BAs to purchase or how it will be implemented....how the hell did you put up the business case for it then?? Did the funding just drop from the sky? I would have thought the particular Ops type looking after that area should have had all the broad equipment price info and the implementation plan sorted out ready to go.....yet another committee. Surely a comparison between types should have been done already.... apparantly being in front of the game isnt a priority

As for the Chief@ pump.... he held his hand up for the job....doesnt need our sympathy

pumprescue

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »
What, no case plan, no thoughts of inter service compatibility....come on, how freakin hard is it, if this was a business we would be bankrupt a million times over.

Come on staff, really, come on!!