Author Topic: Swiftwater Rescue.  (Read 8656 times)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Swiftwater Rescue.
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:03:52 PM »
After a few swiftwater rescues on the south coast is it time for SES or CFS to look at setting up a swiftwater rescue team in the Area?  The risk in the Mundoo and Strathalbyn CFS group areas for this incident is quite considerable is it an oversight that it seems only swiftwater teams are setup in the metro areas??

To be honest i find it a bit poor that the closest team is Noarlunga SES some 50 mins drive (not including response time) away.

Its a pretty tough ask to tell rescuers on scence that they are not to enter the water under any circumstances when someone is literally hanging on for their life knowing that the rescue team is 30 plus minutes away.

What are peoples opinion?
Lt. Goolwa CFS

misterteddy

Re: Swiftwater Rescue.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:49:36 AM »
Makes more sense than Noarlunga having a boat at the airport in the Superman Shed still ;)

Al, like everything, sometimes it just takes someone pushing the case. If you've had a number of them recently, then research it, cost it and pitch it....and when that fails, go public :)

One of your problems will be the SES in the area.....they are struggling in their current roles now....more heaped on them will only make it worse.....and you know that someone will trot out the old ..."it's not a CFS task" don't you?

Good luck

Offline Benji

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »
My understanding is that swiftwater training is being rolled out to all SES units that will give them to gear & knowledge to do throwbag work from dry ground. Im not sure of the status of the units in that area, but members of Onka & Sturt are doing their final bits of throwbag training tomorrow.

Noarlunga are the only unit at this stage AFAIK that have the next level of training to actually enter the water after people, as this course is run interstate.

Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 11:17:20 PM »
Some members of metro south did some swift water recently, not sure of the level of competency achieved but there was assessment of activities in water involved.
I just want to help

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 01:03:40 AM »
I think its time for the training that Noarlunga has to become more available to other Units/Brigades out there, yes cost is obviously an issue but to be very honest it is pretty useless to have Noarlunga with all their training a long distance away when someone is in fast flowing water holding onto a branch for dear life and unable to wait for an extended period in the water and a throw bag is not an option causing more drastic measures to be taken by rescuers on scene to effect a rescue in a life threat situation.

Bit like having only one BA brigade per 200sq km area.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 06:24:47 AM »
I believe money stopped some of the development .... the 'Superman Shed' is not full anymore. Training is ongoing to Units.

I think Strath SES were on scene to help both people out with CFS weren't they ? They and South Coast must be struggling   =;)
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:27:07 AM »
Like any cross-training (eg RCR, vertical, use of facility at Noarlunga, etc) I am sure if CFS asked then SES would provide instructors.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »
From the sounds of it strath did a great job of getting to all the people of the other nights incident, and yes strath and south coast are both struggling at the moment.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Andrew K

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »
Personally as a team leader the safety of my crew comes first, if they aren't trained to enter the water and they are going to put themselves at risk or being another casualty by trying to enter the water they the person on the car will wait - no point in losing them and the rescuer, we will set catch lines down stream but i would not risk my crew to rescue someone who has tried to cross a fast running stream like that. Any team leader that does risk their crew should be chucked off the trucks straight away - we have enough risks in what we do without taking any more.

that being said most units now have the capability for working form the banks of a river etc. and many units carry boat hooks etc which gives you another 5 - 6m of reach. More in water training should be happening but the cost and maintenance of the skills will always be an issue for volunteers. Also there are many units that need it so the capability will take a while to develop

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:42:13 PM by Andrew K »

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »
I believe the buttons have now been well and truly pushed and training is heading very fast in the direction of the Fleurieu SES units.

Improvisation is the mother of rescue and the guys and girls (from both services) did a fantastic job of overcoming the limitations put in place.

Big Al: Day time crew is always an issue, but Strath are not as bad off as you may think.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 11:28:07 PM »
I believe the buttons have now been well and truly pushed and training is heading very fast in the direction of the Fleurieu SES units.

Improvisation is the mother of rescue and the guys and girls (from both services) did a fantastic job of overcoming the limitations put in place.

Big Al: Day time crew is always an issue, but Strath are not as bad off as you may think.

That is fantastic to hear Mike regarding strath crewing, good to see them heading in the right direction.

I think both major jobs were pulled off well, the one our brigade attended had a great outcome, and yes untrained people effected the rescue at the winery road job but they werent left with much option with the circumstances as another few minutes would have probably seen a almost fatal outcome.  Good job to all crews for the rescues and good to hear better training is now being rolled out.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »
Obviously something in the pipeline...

21-08-12 13:53:19   STR: Please check Email. Offer of Swiftwater training. Need confirmed responses ASAP. Cheers, UM. - SES Strathalbyn

Offline CFS_fire32

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 11:42:52 PM »

That is fantastic to hear Mike regarding strath crewing, good to see them heading in the right direction.

Strath SES is also being backed up very well for RCR by Strath CFS.