Author Topic: Fire service emptying swimming pools  (Read 12930 times)

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Fire service emptying swimming pools
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »
I often get queries from members of the public, wanting to know if the CFS will assist in emptying their swimming pool - and some wanting to know if CFS will then fill it up again!

So, I pose the question (out of curiosity, rather than necessity) would your brigade assist in emptying a swimming pool - not an emergency pump out, nor utilising it for a water supply at a fire, but just because the owners want to empty the pool to conduct maintenance.

If your brigade would assist, would you want a donation for it?

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline HeavyRescue

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Fire service emptying swimming pools
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »
My parents got our local brigade to do this to our pool about 15 years ago. the brigade would have been Willunga, or one of the surrounding brigades as we lived in that area at the time...
They did provide a donation to the CFS, was like $100 or something. I was pretty young to remember the excact amount.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with emptying pools, but as for filling them up, I am not opposed to it, just not so sure about a few things;
e.g the water costs, and the overall image it portrays to the public who have no idea that the homeowner may have donated to the CFS, and that the CFS are not just doing it because they are mates with the home owner...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »
yes would empty it for a donation, but no i wouldnt refill it, everyone else has to pay for water to fill their pools, so should they.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline straps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »
You would want to be very careful from a liability POV in case some damage occurred during the emptying or filling process.. A homeowners insurance may not pay out and they may look to CFS to repair / make good any damage etc and this could be especially costly if it involved pool liners / actual integrity of the pool itself etc.

Offline Shiner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:25:27 PM »
And what about the environmental impact of sending chlorinated water down a storm drain or into a paddock?  You could end up with an issue much bigger than the slab of beer you took for it!
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 09:41:33 AM »
Interesting about requesting assistance to empty it, not heard of that before.  Am trying to think when I was a kid we had a pool and I'm sure you just opened the right series of valves and the pool pump pumped it out into the street.  Surely everyone in CFS areas has their own pumps anyway!  Re filling up again, we have once mostly filled a small pool for a brigade member but generally no.

Offline HeavyRescue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:21:25 PM »
Disregard
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:53:50 PM by adizz131 »

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »
I have been approached during the last few years & the local Unit said no. Owner needed to repair some cracks which resulted in a very slow leak.
Unit did not wish to risk pump seals on a salt water pool, if one person hears/sees it then multiple people could ask, where was the water to go to, council approval, EPA considerations, etc, etc.
Also, taking money away from a small business owner.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline BundyBear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »
The couple of brigades I've been at won't fill pools anymore for the reason listed below:

You spend more time doing the task than the donation is generally worth.

Grey area in regards to filling the pool with non metered water.

Liability on the brigade if any damage is caused.

Owners can go hire a portable pump and hose from a hire place!

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 06:02:14 PM »
Used to be that once upon a time we used to do things for people in our community because that was the community minded thing to do. There was no mention of liability and no form of payment other than a carton of beer. What the hell has happened to us as a community? filtered poor if you ask me.
I just want to help

Offline BundyBear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 10:50:02 PM »
Used to be that once upon a time we used to do things for people in our community because that was the community minded thing to do. There was no mention of liability and no form of payment other than a carton of beer. What the hell has happened to us as a community? filtered poor if you ask me.

Things change, plus the role of a volunteer firefighter has altered and become more in depth i.e. more compentencies to maintain, so how much time do they dedicate?

Between incident response, training, equipment maintenance, P/R jobs and hazard reduction burns during summer. I'm pretty sure the average CFS firefighter has provided their bit to the community over their years of service!

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 12:45:27 AM »
I agree with you Bundybear, dont get me wrong. It seems to me though that we are ever increasingly being threatened with liability which in turn scares people off of doing something as a favour. As for volunteers giving up their time, we all give up our time to help the community because we want to not because we have to.
I just want to help

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »
I'd be happy to empty a pool for someone (for a donation) but I definitely wouldn't refill it.

Bundy, you're right about the expectations on firefighters being high these days, but I wouldn't consider that a good reason to prevent people from doing these services if they're happy to! (Fair enough if people don't volunteer extra time for it though)

anything