Author Topic: Duty officer acknowledging page  (Read 10005 times)

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Duty officer acknowledging page
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »
03-10-12 20:54:18   Page acknowledged to Adelaide Fire by LT2. LT2 unavailable to attend incident. - CFS Forreston Info

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »
03-10-12 20:54:18   Page acknowledged to Adelaide Fire by LT2. LT2 unavailable to attend incident. - CFS Forreston Info

Annnd  :?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
Dispatch= Timer 1 begins.
Acknowledgement= first arriving member/officer at station. Timer 2 begins.
Mobile= Vehicle has a crew and has left the station. Timer 1/2 ceases.

Exceeding timer= Either Default, RadioCall/PagerMsg sent, or Alerts call.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »

No point acknowledging a response if your not attending the incident/station. The person acknowledging page is taking responsibility that the appliance will go mobile.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »

No point acknowledging a response if your not attending the incident/station. The person acknowledging page is taking responsibility that the appliance will go mobile.

Errrr how does acknowledging a page with A fire deem you responsible for getting the appliance out of station?  Seems to me he was obviously performing his roles roles set out to him!

Storm in a tea cup! No biggy really! "Play on"

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:22:40 AM by CFS_Firey »

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »
You should also not ack if you are not in the brigades primary response area (not saying this was the case here) in case there are issues with the paging system.....
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »

Errrr how does acknowledging a page with A fire deem you responsible for getting the appliance out of station?  Seems to me he was obviously performing his roles roles set out to him!

Baggy, time for you to go back to school. If not to confirm the truck will respond what do you think the purpose of acknowledging is? And yes. That person is taking responsibility, somethin the CFS is very poor at recognizing.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »

Baggy, time for you to go back to school. If not to confirm the truck will respond what do you think the purpose of acknowledging is? And yes. That person is taking responsibility, somethin the CFS is very poor at recognizing.

I must be mis guided...I thought we were to acknowledge receipt of page with A Fire than book mobile when responding in appliance.. Is that incorrect?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »

I must be mis guided...I thought we were to acknowledge receipt of page with A Fire than book mobile when responding in appliance.. Is that incorrect?

I thought under SACAD it was just an acknowledgement that the page had been received and if an appliance didn't get mobile they would default anyway?  Maybe I'm misguided too.  (Although I think it's good practice for someone who's actually responding to acknowledge so they can relay further details if there are any).

Offline FlameTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »
Maybe LT2 was the duty officer for the brigade, so ack'ed the page (which makes sense). Maybe something came up in his family life (remember that thing), which meant he was unable to respond to the actual job.

I really dont know why we are even talking about it!
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:32:37 PM »

Adelaide Fire takes the call and has the responsibility to respond resources, once they ack the responsibility lies on them to get out the door. There is a second timer that starts when a resource acks, but this is another ten minutes, and let's be honest. 6 to ack, plus 10 to mobile is way too long and a brigade/unit should have defaulted themselves well before that point.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
I really dont know why we are even talking about it!

Probably because there are such varied understandings of the system?

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »

I thought under SACAD it was just an acknowledgement that the page had been received and if an appliance didn't get mobile they would default anyway?  Maybe I'm misguided too.  (Although I think it's good practice for someone who's actually responding to acknowledge so they can relay further details if there are any).

Hey mate, ack within 6, mobile within another 10, so possibly 16 all up to get a truck on the road. IMO this is too long and a brigade should default before this point unless they are extremely remote. The default after that sixteen though still does not automatically happen as CFS wants ALERTS used to query status of resources first.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 07:15:18 PM »

Adelaide Fire takes the call and has the responsibility to respond resources, once they ack the responsibility lies on them to get out the door. There is a second timer that starts when a resource acks, but this is another ten minutes, and let's be honest. 6 to ack, plus 10 to mobile is way too long and a brigade/unit should have defaulted themselves well before that point.

So we do acknowledge the page? Than acknowledge we are mobile? Just as I thought! And if u think 16 min from drop of page to the truck leaving the shed is to long and should default brigades  across the state would never get out the shed! Not every brigade can be mobile in 6 min! Anyway we could debate for ever! Ur right though there are toooo many variations out there!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
I dont have a problem with this. Provided they meet their obligation to ensure an appropriate response.

Personally, I have performed the roll of duty officer remotely. Sometimes it has worked well, sometimes not. On the times that haven't, the truck still rolled even though a default had been requested. So, more trucks than less. Not perfect, but not an innapropriate response.
These defaults have happened anywhere from approx. 8 minutes, to a maximum of 15 dependent on the type of response.

All comes down to the process put in place at the local level.

Cheers,

Offline BundyBear

• View Profile
Re: Duty officer acknowledging page
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 09:18:54 PM »
Damn people how hard is it, I can't believe some of you are banging on about this.

1. Pager goes off

2. Duty officer - acknowledges message was received from Adelaide Fire and possibly gains further information, usually has a duty officer mobile phone and CFS GRN portable radio.

3. Duty Officer - If not making his/her way to station has two forms of comms with Station and or appliance.

4. Fire appliance leaves station in an exceptable time makes call on GRN to Adelaide Fire and primary GRN channel for your group, or duty officer can default brigade, job right!

I've seen appliances leave my station in 5 to 10 mins with out any dramas or the process having holes!

Seriously some of you need to take up a hobby or self medicate if that helps!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Duty officer acknowledging page
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 09:56:10 PM »
Wow, the brigade duty officer gets a duty phone ?!!!  Where do I get one of those from?   :evil:

It might work that way in your brigade BundyBear, but it is different in mine.

However the process is simple - pager goes off, someone acknowledges the page, appliance goes mobile in acceptable time.  If no crew / not enough, you request a default.  Simple.

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

anything