Author Topic: Deductible Gift Recipient tax status cancelled  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
Deductible Gift Recipient tax status cancelled
« on: October 21, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
I see in a memo that CFS groups' Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) tax status
is being cancelled / abandoned, with unanimous agreement of the Groups.
CFS is writing to the ATO on behalf of the groups to cancel as from, IIRC,
01-December.

Hasn't been any comment about this on-line, and I haven't asked my Groupies
"why" yet.  But I thought I'd chuck it out there for comment anyway.
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

misterteddy

Re: Deductible Gift Recipient tax status cancelled
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »
cool, no more writing receipts when we beg for money at elections to cover the outrageous cost of being a (very) basically outfitted fire service......life will be simpler now because the Government provides :)

Be interesting to see why Groups agreed to this - must have been profound for it to be unanimous

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:01:51 AM »
As I understand it, changes in rules relating to tax deductability, by the tax office, would mean a lot more work by brigades / groups to comply.

With only a small number of brigades actually taking advantage of tax deductability status, a decision was made to remove it, hence saving headaches etc for the finance people

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »
What Pip said.

All RVMC's signed off on it.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »
With only a small number of brigades actually taking advantage of tax deductability status, a decision was made to remove it, hence saving headaches etc for the finance people

Are there some figures available on the number of brigades 'taking advantage' of the DGR status?  I may be from one of those brigades, but I always thought the CFS relied heavily upon donations to run, and being tax deductible makes us more attractive.  I can appreciate the reasons for dropping our DGR status, but I know it will have an impact on at least my brigade's income.

Timbo

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »

Are there some figures available on the number of brigades 'taking advantage' of the DGR status?  I may be from one of those brigades, but I always thought the CFS relied heavily upon donations to run, and being tax deductible makes us more attractive.  I can appreciate the reasons for dropping our DGR status, but I know it will have an impact on at least my brigade's income.

I'm told that of all donations recieved, less than 5% had DGR reciepts written last Fin Yr, and most of them were after the fact when the person recieving the $'s then offered a reciept. So yes it may effect some brigades, but the $'s involved was negligible. But yes, it may hurt some brigades, but based on reported figures it will be bugger all.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »

My Brigade is quite the opposite. Most of the income is from fundraising -"Here's some money for xxxx". Not donations where it is a case of "Gee you people are good, here's some money". The 'for' word is the difference between a donation and fundraising.

misterteddy

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:45:21 PM »
asking a few questions reveals it wasnt really much of a choice.....no support to keep it for those that use it, with HQ bailing out of the process it was left to those Brigades or Groups that wanted it to go it alone with the ATO paperwork if they wanted to......thanks again CFS :)