Author Topic: SAMFS Retained firefighter  (Read 23092 times)

Offline liamkeenanaCFSSES

• Forum Firefighter
  • Helping others CFS, SES, AAFC instructor
    • View Profile
SAMFS Retained firefighter
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:51:55 PM »
hello all first post on this forum just have some quick questions.

As mentioned in the topic I would like to ask how to go about being a Retained Firefighter and what prerequisite requirements I might need and if you think I stand a fair chance as it is a competitive process I gather.

I'm a volunteer firefighter for the country fire service with my BFF1 and Senior St Johns first aid

I'm also a member of the State Emergence Service with my SES basic rescue along with a few other courses.

I have CERT II in community studies if that also helps I'm a pretty good member of my community always trying to contribute as much as I can.

I am 18 years of age and in outstanding physical condition

And finally I am an adult instructor for the Australian Airforce Cadets at the rank of AC.

I DO NOT posses my medium ridged drivers license sadly

If possible I would like to join Tanunda or Kupunda stations in the Barossa area where I reside at the present time.

sorry for such a large post but again any help would be fantastic thanks everyone.

Helping others and my community

-=LIAM KEEANAN=-
CFS, SES, AAFC instructor

Monger

Re: SAMFS Retained firefighter
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:39:48 AM »
hello all first post on this forum just have some quick questions.

As mentioned in the topic I would like to ask how to go about being a Retained Firefighter and what prerequisite requirements I might need and if you think I stand a fair chance as it is a competitive process I gather.

I'm a volunteer firefighter for the country fire service with my BFF1 and Senior St Johns first aid

I'm also a member of the State Emergence Service with my SES basic rescue along with a few other courses.

I have CERT II in community studies if that also helps I'm a pretty good member of my community always trying to contribute as much as I can.

I am 18 years of age and in outstanding physical condition

And finally I am an adult instructor for the Australian Airforce Cadets at the rank of AC.

I DO NOT posses my medium ridged drivers license sadly

If possible I would like to join Tanunda or Kupunda stations in the Barossa area where I reside at the present time.

sorry for such a large post but again any help would be fantastic thanks everyone.

Go to the SAMFS website and under the heading "join us" click on retained and there is a position information document which outlines all the requirements. I dont think it is as competetive as you may think.

Monger

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:56:53 AM »
Entry Criteria

License

Must possess a current car license valid in SA however, a MR drivers license must be obtained at the member's expense.

Health

Applicants must be in a good state of physical fitness and be prepared to undergo a medical examination prior to being accepted.

Police
 Check

A Police Check will be carried out with the consent of the applicant. An offence will not necessarily deny entry into the MFS. Each case is considered on its merits.

References

Provide the names and contact phone numbers of two (2) referees.

Birth Certificate

Produce a birth certificate as proof of age.

Eyesight

Vision less than 6/12 in worst eye unaided, achieving 6/6 binocularly;  colour vision - normal on Ishihara plates or trade test on console with no errors.

First Aid Certificate

Firefighters may be required to apply first aid to a work colleague, Legislation requires employees who administer first aid in a workplace to possess Apply First Aid (HLTFA 301B) from one of the approved providers listed by SafeWork SA within the first six months of a probation period.  SafeWork SA's website is www.safework.sa.gov.au.

Please be aware that on 10 December 2010, the new Approved Code of Practice for First Aid in the Workplace will be introduced.  Potential applicants will therefore need to possess Apply First Aid (HLTFA 301B) on or after this date.

Proximity to Station

Must reside and work within a reasonable proximity (nominal ten minutes) from the MFS Station for efficient response to incidents. Note: any costs associated with fulfilling this criteria must be met by the applicant.

Availability

All rostered staff must attend the station in response to an emergency call within 10 minutes of being notified and they must be available to attend at least 50% of calls. In an effort to maintain adequate standards of fire cover and to equally distribute the work load, staff available to respond to incidents must attend the station at least for 50% of the calls and must attend the incident by riding the appliance at least 50% of attendances at the MFS Station. For example, if a station averages 20 calls per month, then all staff will attend the station at least 50% of those calls, i.e. 10, and of those 10 calls, staff must attend the actual incident on at least 5 occasions. You will also be required to attend a minimum of 80% of the weekly training sessions.

Offline fire8029

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:55:10 AM »
Just go to one of the stations on the nights they do training and say g'day.

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 08:13:41 AM »
Thanks allot guys I'll be sure to look into it :) anyone know how the pay system works? And how much not that it's important just wondering

-=LIAM KEEANAN=-

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »
Any SAMFS members have any advice or directions I should take?

-=LIAM KEEANAN=-

Offline fire8029

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »
You get a retainer, cant remember how much, its about 30 bucks an hour and you get paid 2 hours min for a call out and paid in 15 min blocks after the 2 hours and get paid for training which is 3 hours a week. Also now get paid fortnightly instead of monthly.

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
ahh thanks so its kinda like a firefighters version of the Australian Defense Force Reserves. That sounds great I mean I would do it for free just to be with the MFS great bunch of people. Do you need to do the aptitude, physical and interview like the fulltimers or is it kinda like jumping into CFS

-=LIAM KEEANAN=-

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »
more like a paid version of cfs.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »
so it isnt as competitive as I thought, do you guys think I fit the bill for a retained fire fighter for the MFS

and finally what steps should I take eg send them my resume or stop in the station on a training night

-=LIAM KEEANAN=-

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 09:40:40 AM »
Probably best to follow the instructions on the SAMFS website!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »
thanks for all your help everyone :) but Tanunda was full :( ohh well I'll just have to wait until they need more numbers

Thanks again you guys, allot better people on SAfirefighter.com then on Ausmilitary forums lol I tried to ask the Army lads a question and lets just say the people where not as nice :P

-=LIAM KEEANAN=-

Offline Hazmat206

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Adelaide 206 respond to reduced Hazmat...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 07:32:35 AM »
Try Kapunda, they seem to struggle to get crews, Gawler 359 have been responding to calls in Kapunda due to lack of crews, although that seems to of died down a bit
206 to Adelaide fire,Incident #59,situation found 440, action taken 41,K45, over

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 09:08:03 AM »
I would love to but I I'm to far away from Kaunda I live in lyndoch

I heard they need numbers but I can't :( thanks anyway

-=LIAM KEEANAN=-

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »
I just sent my resume off to Regional Commander John Foody for the tanunda station. Fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:59:02 PM by liamkeenanaCFSSES »

-=LIAM KEEANAN=-

pumprescue

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »
Unless you currently live within 10 mins of the fire station you are applying for they will reject your application.

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »
And I do live within 10 minutes :) any more advice and info would be cool

Any retained on this forum
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:00:45 PM by liamkeenanaCFSSES »

-=LIAM KEEANAN=-