Author Topic: Adelaide Now Survey  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Skippy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Adelaide Now Survey
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »
For those who are interested, Adelaide Now has set up a survey after the commencement of fire danger season in the Mid North, Murraylands, Riverland, Upper South East and Yorke Peninsula

The survey asks questions such as; should it be compulsory for homeowners to clean up before fire danger season and, another question which may raise some debate, should CFS firefighters be paid? I presume based on the MFS retain model.

So I thought I throw this survey out into the open and allow for you guys and gals to raise some debate about some of the questions - especially the paid question

For those interested in completing the survey, here it is below

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CJ9KPRF

Cheers,

Skip

Offline crossy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Now Survey
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:35:35 PM »
As much as getting paid sounds good imagine how much extra s&@t would be included... Not to mention how impractical it would be with the number of volunteers and stations... A tax deduction as an incentive or something along those lines would be a better option.. But then you would have to weed out the freeloaders that would no doubt join aswell....
cant prove it?? then i didnt do it......

bizfro

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:05:24 AM »
I think a similar model to the QFRS would work in adelaide. We have auxiliary stations in the regional towns and fringe city areas. And that is supported by the Rural Fire Service which is completely volley who just respond to grass fires, having smaller stations (usually one appliance, sometimes a QRV) spread in-between all the auxillary stations. Auxiliaries have a minimum two week block of training to get on the truck, followed by another week for hazmat, road crash rescue. All paid. Although the bushfires up here are really nothing compared to adelaide, But ofcourse no one does it for the money (it's quite dismal after tax) but it does help if you need to miss work, family events, sleep.

Naturally with the CFS and Adelaide itself there'd be a million and one problems to get that started and I don't ever see it happening, especially with such an established organisation.

But where I am it is effective in retaining the experienced staff and encouraging younger headstrong people to join and stick around.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:50:56 AM »
I think it's good that the media are picking up on the landholder responsibility side of bushfires (rather than always painting them as the victim, or lucky escapee) but I get the impression the survey is a little biased (they want cleanups to be compulsory and want a survey to support that it's public opinion).

I'd like to see data on why people don't clean up around their homes or have plans - that kind of survey would be far more productive IMO.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing the results!