Author Topic: Strathalbyn Hook Truck  (Read 11586 times)

Offline kiwifirefighter

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Strathalbyn Hook Truck
« on: December 21, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone knew what pods were supplied with the trucks, i persume that a hazmat pod and perhaps a bulk water carrier pod would be supplied

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Strathalbyn Hook Truck
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »
Strath currently have a Hazmat pod, and there are plans for a Bulk Water Carrier pod to come at some stage

Pip

PS Lots of info about this appliance on ozfire.org
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

misterteddy

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 04:11:23 PM »
so theres a Hook at Brukunga, and I think still one at Swanport Group, and now one at Strath......lets hope theres another 12 on the books spread around the State somewhere

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »
Then add other services (SES & MFS) hook trucks that might also be used if 'everything went to hell'
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 05:54:56 PM »
Plus State Hazmat at Burnside, not quite sure why a Hazmat Pod is needed there when Burnside isnt that far away?

Good idea, but just alot of resources in such a small area.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

misterteddy

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 11:17:14 AM »
i guess its all about what looks sexy.....I reckon you could get 2 or close to 3 pantecs that are less than 4 years old, for the (overpriced) cost of the hooker. Come to think of it you could get 4 or 5 long wheelbase Iveco vans (1.5 times the size of the Merc Sprinters) that might actually be really useable

Still......I'm sure the V&E team did a cost benefit analysis as well as a business case looking at alternatives..... :wink:

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »
I'd like to see a long wheelbase Iveco van carry 9 ton of water! :lol:

Not just about purchase cost, what about lifetime costs of service, tyres etc etc

What is the problem with multi-functional vehicles that get more use than having 5 vehicles sitting doing nothing for 99% of the time.

Hook pod system is used world wide and even though not perfect for every task what is really wrong with it?
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

anything