Author Topic: Building Impact Training?  (Read 7055 times)

Offline Raven

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Building Impact Training?
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »
A friend of mine (Who is a member at Noarlunga SES) and I were talking about the Firey's getting basic Building Impact training. Just so that we know what to actually look for, and so we can make educated decisions on whether to stop call SES on Building Impact calls or allow them to get there.

Our talking about this started from this, last night:

22:53:54 26-01-13 MFS: *CFSRES INC0012 26/01/13 22:53 RESPOND BUILDING IMPACT P1 26 HAMLEY CRES MANSFIELD PARK MAP:ADL 93 D15,CALLER: ==CAR THRU FENCE, THEN CARPORT, THEN HOUSE, MAJOR STRUCTURAL SUPORT DAMAGED :PPT20 V SNOTIFY C SNOTIF SDO : SES RO, SES Prospect Response

23:04:27 26-01-13 MFS: STOP FOR CALL NOT REQUIRED SES RO, SES Prospect Response 

23:11:33 26-01-13 MFS: *CFSRES: PROSPECT SES ARE NOW REQUIRED TO ATTEND 26 HAMLEY CRES, MANSFIELD PARK. APOLIGIES FOR THE MESS AROUND SES RO, SES Prospect Response

This is just a personal idea of my friend and I, but it does seem like something that could be used somewhere for CFS/MFS.
F/F Sellicks Beach, Kyeema Group.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Building Impact Training?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:48:59 PM »
If in doubt with safety of the scene & public, just let the other crews keep responding. Yes, SES Units are further away & take longer. But still quicker than a builder.

I doubt if anyone can have experience in all of the types of emergencies that volunteers respond to. I would not be able to assess a fire scene.

Sometimes people might not see the cracks in walls or beams. Full damage might not be assessed until the car or debris begins to be moved. Might not be a case of wrong stop call, situation just change during cleanup.

I believe the SES courses are 'Shoring' & 'Advanced Rescue Tools and Equipment' which all feedin to USAR type roles. I am not absolutely sure of the courses names though.

I think it is great for any emergency service to be on scene quickly for potential entrapment & life threats. I assume CFS have enough advanced training to get someone out of a car embedded in a house without moving the car & de-stabilising the building.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything