Author Topic: New MFS station for Salisbury  (Read 84496 times)

Offline FlameTrees

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: New MFS station for Salisbury
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »
But Region 2 HQ are forced to stay in a building for another 3 years that they have totally outgrown and is now barely functional.

Try getting in there on a busy day when you have SAPOL, SAAS, Council, MFS all in there as well!

Not to mention poor storage facilities for the vehicles they have and no vehicle security.
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »
But Region 2 HQ are forced to stay in a building for another 3 years that they have totally outgrown and is now barely functional.

Try getting in there on a busy day when you have SAPOL, SAAS, Council, MFS all in there as well!

Not to mention poor storage facilities for the vehicles they have and no vehicle security.

R2 HQ are not alone on the lack of space!

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »
I think the thing that's hard to swallow for volunteers is the enormity and over the top look of new MFS stations 7 million is a lot of coin for something. Not that I don't agree it's justified my opinion is some of the "nice" things are just not warranted. And I Agree Big Al what a narrow minded statement!! "Those who don't ask don't learn"

pumprescue

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »
Has anyone bothered to find out what the actual breakdown of costs are ? There might be a reason, Seaford was no where near as expensive, neither was Glen Osmond, maybe that was a strange figure plucked out to make it sound like they were pouring money into it. Even a CFS shed these days is insanely expensive for what you get, a shed.

Monger

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
Has anyone bothered to find out what the actual breakdown of costs are ? There might be a reason, Seaford was no where near as expensive, neither was Glen Osmond, maybe that was a strange figure plucked out to make it sound like they were pouring money into it. Even a CFS shed these days is insanely expensive for what you get, a shed.
I heard it may include an SES station too. The "us versus them" whining on here is starting to get embarassing.

flyonthewall

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 11:59:20 AM »
Also, I think it's pretty sad that some go knocking on fire station doors (both here and in other countries), to have a look inside and to have a chat with the firefighters .......  .

My opinion only.

I say it again....

Having a bleet over a $7million MFS station that needs to be completely relocated and built from the ground up that is also in a rather busy metropolitan/urban fringe area, and is also being built with the future in mind so that there dosen't need to be any add-ons down the track is a joke in my eyes. The community gets a service that they can rely on to turn up in their time of need 100% of the time because they are ready to respond from their $7million fire station 24/7 365 days a year......

Obviously, others may think that its just a fancy overpriced building but people 'live' in it, not just turn up and open the doors when their pager tells them to.

flyonthewall

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 12:19:34 PM »
I forgot....Alan.......

uote from: flyonthewall on Today at 02:50:25 AM

Also, I think it's pretty sad that some go knocking on fire station doors (both here and in other countries), to have a look inside and to have a chat with the firefighters .......  .

You have got to be kidding right??
That is possibly the most stupid and narrow minded comments of late?

Why not do it?

When i was in Germany last year i went and visited the local volunteer station for a look, had a great chat to one of their firies there, and it was good to learn the differences between the services for both of us..

So i am guessing if you were given the chance to go on the truck to a few jobs with another service elswhere in the world you would knock it back because it was "pretty sad"

Obviously for someone as narrow minded as yourself you have no interest to learn anything outside of what u already know so i guess it wouldnt be for you.

You did mention it was a volunteer station. I'm not sure about their security protocol but you being a firefighter and all that would know, wouldn't you?

And by the way, I don't mind learning a thing or two and just to let you know, when I'm on holiday, the fire service is the furthest thing from my mind, thats probably why I've gone on the holiday in the first place!

Offline fire8029

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 02:00:21 PM »

I was looking at the Glen Osmond report the other day and the total on that was still $5.05M

misterteddy

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »
ahhhh boys.....  :lol:

I have no issue at all with the MFS, after all I used to work for them :) I quite like the people, I quite like the organisation, hell I even quite liked the perks.... but at some stage, you guys will be called on what you get - and the public who pay the bill, will want a better deal. It is a fat, wasteful and overpriced service.....one day, the Gov't will tell you (because the people told them). Oh and if you read my posts....I'm quite happy to bag CFS as well when they warrant it (which is often )so I'm an equal opportunity critic  :mrgreen:

So all those career guys who do shifts in New York so they get a NYFD photo and shirt are all losers too?......lol...half your shift will have done that. You have no idea why I visited them, nor what I was doing when I did. Me, I'm a fireman, doesnt matter if I'm on the clock being paid, sitting at home or in a cafe in Paris on holidays, whatever....I notice fire service things. For some its just a job (and sometimes a second job at that).

I'd like to see the 40 year SAFECOM plan for fire services that this requirement came from. It will be a comprehensive review of fire and emergency services resources based on population growth that the Gov't cant forecast (they only do 20 year predictions), contain the future of CFS/MFS boundaries, contain  the list of CFS areas set to be gazetted MFS, the introduction of new technology to augment fire service attendance, all the big issues. It exists right??.... I might even put in an FOI request to see it  :wink:

If Glen Osmond is $5mil, then we got a bargin at $7mil for Salisbury, case (and comment) closed

Monger

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 06:34:01 AM »
ahhhh boys.....  :lol:

I have no issue at all with the MFS, after all I used to work for them :) I quite like the people, I quite like the organisation, hell I even quite liked the perks.... but at some stage, you guys will be called on what you get - and the public who pay the bill, will want a better deal. It is a fat, wasteful and overpriced service.....one day, the Gov't will tell you (because the people told them). Oh and if you read my posts....I'm quite happy to bag CFS as well when they warrant it (which is often )so I'm an equal opportunity critic  :mrgreen:

So all those career guys who do shifts in New York so they get a NYFD photo and shirt are all losers too?......lol...half your shift will have done that. You have no idea why I visited them, nor what I was doing when I did. Me, I'm a fireman, doesnt matter if I'm on the clock being paid, sitting at home or in a cafe in Paris on holidays, whatever....I notice fire service things. For some its just a job (and sometimes a second job at that).

I'd like to see the 40 year SAFECOM plan for fire services that this requirement came from. It will be a comprehensive review of fire and emergency services resources based on population growth that the Gov't cant forecast (they only do 20 year predictions), contain the future of CFS/MFS boundaries, contain  the list of CFS areas set to be gazetted MFS, the introduction of new technology to augment fire service attendance, all the big issues. It exists right??.... I might even put in an FOI request to see it  :wink:

If Glen Osmond is $5mil, then we got a bargin at $7mil for Salisbury, case (and comment) closed

So you weren't a firefighter in the samfs then ??

flyonthewall

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 07:59:12 AM »
misterteddy

I can respect your opinions and your experience but we are not living in NYC, nor do we have the same culture as the US. I have been there also and seen their run down dirty old 'fire houses' and how they are jammed between buildings and backstreets and truth be told, this is what makes the NYFD the NYFD. I did't get any NYFD photos but I did buy a shirt!

We don't live in the 1970's/80's or even 00's anymore. The job has moved on with the times and believe it or not, there are even females in the job hence some of the reason to have separate bedrooms and ammneties for their privacy. I assume that after working for the SAMFS, you would have some understanding of the SAMFS culture....., although I can understand that unless you have been in a fire service, it's hard to make sense of it looking in from the outside.

Mate, I'm a fireman too and I notice fire service things but I also know why they are spending $7million on a completely new, relocated, self sufficient, female friendly, environmentally friendly, 24/7, future envisaged, 365 day a year operational fire station.

By the way, Pies and Pasties don't cost 60c anymore and you cant even but a lolly for 5c either.

End of my comments also.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 08:14:04 AM »
Can I ask someone in the know, how does a MFS shift work? Is it 12 hours 2 shifts a day or different??

Offline JJD

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 08:20:19 AM »
Shift System

On successful completion of the Recruit Course, you will be posted to a shift and station subject to staffing requirements.  It is possible that you may be posted to Port Pirie or Mount Gambier.

Full-time Firefighters are employed on a shift system to provide for 24 hour cover on every day of the year.

In the Adelaide metropolitan area, each shift works two 10 hour DAY shifts (each from 0800hours to 1800hours), followed on the next two days by two 14 hour NIGHT shifts (from 1800hours to 0800hours the following morning). The Firefighter then has four days off before starting the cycle again.

In Port Pirie, each shift works 24 hours, commencing 0800 hours, followed by three (3) days off before starting the cycle again.

In Mount Gambier, the full-time crew work during the day, Monday to Friday an average of 40 hours per week.

http://www.mfs.sa.gov.au/site/join_us/fulltime_firefighters.jsp
Hmmm, a large unused document that is extremely important, but knowone knows what is in it or what it does.

Must be related to some sort of government department... - Footy

Judge me on the service....not my payslip - misterteddy

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
10/14s 4 on 4 off

Offline Yossarian

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
With my earlier post, I was not begrudging the MFS boys and girls of a top notch facility, I more inclined to believe the govt are being ripped off.  Does it really cost this amount of money to build it, is all I'm saying.  While were on the history trip, my father used to work for the PBD in ages past, pity theres not something like this still around, then Salisbury can have there new station and region 2 HQ could be repaired.
But then maybe I'm just ignorant to the price of things.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 07:44:14 AM »
Does that price include the land? I went past the site yesterday on the way to the Barossa and it seem quite a large parcel of land, thats if it is going to take up the whole site.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Fire000

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM »

Any word if the new MFS station will have any impact on CFS in the area?

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 12:06:53 AM »

Any word if the new MFS station will have any impact on CFS in the area?

Salisbury CFS station is already well inside the MFS boundary so i would doubt it.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 07:26:19 AM »
Does anyone know why the lettering on the front of the station reads "Salisbury Command Fire Station"?

I heard a few years ago that MFS Command structure will split Northern & Southern Adelaide rather than run from CBD. I understand they have been running Command cars that way for a few years now from the CBD.

Given the title of 'command' rather than just fire station, is this another step forward in that split command structure for MFS in the future ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Yossarian

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »
After seeing the price of $1.3m for our new SA state logo, I take everything I said about the new station back, at only $7m what a bargain. :evil:

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2014, 06:11:47 PM »
I haven't been down Nain North Rd for a little while, have they started any work on the new site yet?

Monger

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2014, 07:11:52 PM »
I haven't been down Nain North Rd for a little while, have they started any work on the new site yet?

Yeah its nearly finished.  :-D

Offline BT085

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:13 PM »
So technically Ferret new station means they will need new recruits like me to fill it?  Or it doesn't work  that way ?

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »
I doubt it BT085 - this station is a replacement for the existing Salisbury MFS station, not an addition

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Monger

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
So technically Ferret new station means they will need new recruits like me to fill it?  Or it doesn't work  that way ?

Nah mate, its just replacing the old Salisbury station. If Mawson lakes eventuates they will need recruits to fill it