Author Topic: It's All in the Language  (Read 14933 times)

misterteddy

It's All in the Language
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »
On Adelaide Now website this afternoon

THE Metropolitan Fire Service has issued a warning to check airconditioners before high temperatures hit later this week.

Adelaide is facing a predicted five days of temperatures in the mid-to-high 30s, beginning with a top of 36C forecast for tomorrow.

MFS Commander of Community Safety Allan Foster said if electrical air-cooling equipment is used continuously throughout prolonged heat events, there is a danger of the equipment overheating and causing a fire.

"In previous heat events, MFS firefighters and CFS volunteers have responded to multiple house and business fires caused by malfunctioning or poorly maintained air cooling equipment," he said.

Mr Foster said equipment should be regularly serviced by a licensed tradesperson, should not be left on unattended when no one is home and allowed time to cool if overheating.

I thought we had moved past the "them and us" with our blue brothers. Either the statement should read "MFS Career staff and CFS Volunteers...", or more correctly it should say "MFS and CFS Firefighters ..."

CFS Chief, CFSVA, CFS Media.....anyone?....anyone?.... Bueller?....Bueller?

It's not a slag at Mr Foster, nor even the MFS (I know....who would have thought hey), but just a reminder on how language, particularly when given to idiot media outlets, is very important. It would be nice if we could take steps to reduce the "Just a Volunteer" attitude out there

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: It's All in the Language
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »
And there i was thinking this would be about the wide, varied and filtered up range of terminology being used on the GRN...

MrTed, I dont even bother reading these sort of things. No matter who produces them [service, employment status, etc] they always seem to miss someone out, fail to give credit to all partiers, use poor terminology and cause offence to someone, etc. Its very hard to keep everyone happy.

Id have to say though my favourite is always the mis-matched photos that the news outlets put with any MFS/CFS/SES media story.

misterteddy

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 07:43:15 PM »
And there i was thinking this would be about the wide, varied and filtered up range of terminology being used on the GRN...

MrTed, I dont even bother reading these sort of things. No matter who produces them [service, employment status, etc] they always seem to miss someone out, fail to give credit to all partiers, use poor terminology and cause offence to someone, etc. Its very hard to keep everyone happy.

Id have to say though my favourite is always the mis-matched photos that the news outlets put with any MFS/CFS/SES media story.

OMG....don't even start me on GRN procedures....dear god

I kinda have a sneaking suspiscion this might have come out of MFS Media, so I'm not sure in this instance that we can blame the Tiser cadet journos

Offline FlameTrees

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »

I kinda have a sneaking suspiscion this might have come out of MFS Media, so I'm not sure in this instance that we can blame the Tiser cadet journos

The Tiser is now employing qualified journos (albeit cadets)....when did they start that? Cant say I have noticed an improvement in quality
"is that negative as in yes, or negative as in no" - actual radio transmission from the field.......

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
I can confirm that the Media Release came from MFS Media.
Images are copyright

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »

OMG....don't even start me on GRN procedures....dear god

Tell me about it... i thought we had some standard terms, perhaps it's not written anywhere though...

Incident Number plus;
Acknowledge
Mobile
Clear of Call

Not that hard... too many using 'responding'. What does that mean? Are you responding to the page? Responding to the station? Responding to the incident in the truck?

**My personal opinion only.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »
I don't believe it's ever been clearly explained by CFS, in the form of a SOP, or even a memo or similar communication, what the terminology to AF should be, particularly "clear of call" or "completed" or <insert all the other variants>.

muscleandpluck

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 07:04:31 AM »

"In previous heat events, MFS firefighters and CFS volunteers have responded to multiple house and business fires caused by malfunctioning or poorly maintained air cooling equipment," he said.

About time. A Spade is a spade, not an implement for digging.
Firefighting is a profession.
Hence the difference between the services.
The difference in levels of service, equipment, training, response times and professionalism reflect this.
Vollies will howl, SAMFS firies will know just what im sayin! Ask the FCI guys!

misterteddy

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:33:58 AM »
ahh yes, the inevitable has eventually surfaced......wish I could be as sure of winning lotto as seeing the "we get paid therefore we are professional"

Good luck to you Muscle, its a job most of us would take if offered,....I hope you enjoyed your all night in, while the non-professional types were protecting 95% of the state.

pumprescue

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
Old mate muscle is right, how could you argue the CFS is equal, not even close.

flyonthewall

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 07:46:10 PM »
Good luck to you Muscle, its a job most of us would take if offered,....I hope you enjoyed your all night in, while the non-professional types were protecting 95% of the state.

Yeah OK........., while those enjoying the night in were protecting 95% of the population.

I agree, maybe "volunteer firefighters" should have been used instead.

Here's a snippet from another post under another topic.......

16:31:40 13-02-13 SEAF: JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER WE ARE A FIRE BRIGADE AND U DO HAVE TO RESPOND TO GET A TRUCK OUT WELL DONE GUYS AND GIRLS CFS Seaford Info

This really doesn't help keep members.

And I suppose this wouldn't help either...
21:08:16 14-02-13 BURN INFO: ANYONE KNOW WHERE 24 AND BWC ARE? NOTHING ON BOARD, NOTHING IN OCCURANCE BOOK, NO PAGE AND NOT IN STATION... HAVE THEY BEEN STOLEN? CFS Burnside Info

21:23:32 14-02-13 BURN INFO: HI GUYS ANY F#####G CHANCE YOU COULD LET YOUR GROUP OFFICERS KNOW THAT YOU'VE SELF DEPLOYED TO A FIRE CFS Burnside Info

So tell me what it was that the difference is between the MFS and CFS again?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:07:42 PM by flyonthewall »

misterteddy

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »

I can't fault your questioning, not the smartest thing ever written. I'm sure the appropriate pineapple was delivered - or is going to be.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 10:05:43 AM »

I can't fault your questioning, not the smartest thing ever written. I'm sure the appropriate pineapple was delivered - or is going to be.

I doubt whether any pineapples will be delivered. It is the CFS. Anyways are'nt at least 2 of the groupies there MFS officers??
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

flyonthewall

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 10:57:18 AM »

Posted on: Today at 04:35:43 AMPosted by: safireservice 
Insert Quote
Quote from: misterteddy on Today at 02:08:54 AM
Quote from: flyonthewall on Yesterday at 02:16:10 PM

I doubt whether any pineapples will be delivered. It is the CFS. Anyways are'nt at least 2 of the groupies there MFS officers??

This is a bit off topic but.....

....maybe this is where the issue is? No pineapples for any breach?
MFS officers used to working with procedures and protocol in one service while the other apparently does what it wants and how it wants (at a brigade level)?

anything