Author Topic: Current fires February 2013  (Read 5538 times)

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Current fires February 2013
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:45:22 PM »
Hi all been a lot of activity across a lot of the Tate in past 4-5 days thought I'd start a topic to discuss what's been or is going! Obviously had the largish fire at monarto, a couple going in he south east!

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Current fires February 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »
Seems like the Tilley Swamp Fire is a goer with strike teams being requested right through R1 and R2...As normal short notice and struggling to crew!

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »
18-02-13 13:47:49 Strike team for SE no longer required by Region 5 John Hutchins thanks everyone for there time. GAC - CFS Light Group Info

18-02-13 14:05:19 ONCE AGAIN STRIKE TEAM HAS BEEN CANCELLED SORRY FOR INCONVENIENCE, CAPTAIN - CFS Salisbury Info

No wonder the service struggles for crews for strike teams when an out of region strike team is organised and cancelled shortly after.

Think this could be the second lot cancelled today???

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »
R2 cancelled though and then R1 asked later? Not sure which resources have actually gone but seems odd. Would be interested to know the full story.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
R2 cancelled though and then R1 asked later? Not sure which resources have actually gone but seems odd. Would be interested to know the full story.

Normally if you request a inter region strike team to leave ASAP it doesnt get cancelled within the hour...a bit more planning than that goes in to it.

I see they are now responding local resources back to the job.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »

I see they are now responding local resources back to the job.
Yeah good stuff, flog the guts out of the local crews, by wednesday theyll be looking for strike teams cause the locals willl have had enough.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
Info only.6 Jervois crew at Monarto fireground tonight in Monartos truck. Jervois 34 still in station. - CFS Jervois Info

Still interested in this job. Still with resources on scene but no mention about it? Anyone with any info?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »
Unsure if related but I rang few guys and asked around a little bit and rumour is CFA have or are considering a request for assistance and with R5 flat out crews will come from further up the line. Probably unrelated but ho knows!  Seems odd I agree te monarto fire has had little coverage or info on size... I did see a thank you posted by CFS Facebook from the monarto brigade.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 03:15:58 PM »
Emergency warning message issued for a fire at cygnet river KI.....round up that spam HQ!!

Offline vsteve01

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »
Info only.6 Jervois crew at Monarto fireground tonight in Monartos truck. Jervois 34 still in station. - CFS Jervois Info

Still interested in this job. Still with resources on scene but no mention about it? Anyone with any info?

Wasn't that big in size (maybe 50-100Acres).  Just lots of mopping up.  Plenty of trees burning in hard to get areas.

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 07:57:27 AM »
Some info on Preamimma fire (Monarto/Rockleigh area) in this weeks local Murray Bridge rag, see below:

http://www.murrayvalleystandard.com.au/story/1309483/murraylands-heats-up/?cs=1275

Main issue was the country (sheep country!), fire on both sides of deep and steep gully with the eastern side having blue stone/granite rock (razor sharp) making access really difficult.  Lots of old trees and wood which continued to burn over the weekend with several break outs with the mossy type ground cover on the south-western facing ground also giving issues where the wind would re-ignite areas that had been drowned hours before.

The gully winds made it more interesting also!

Everyone worked really hard including crews that came in from out of the area to assist (specifically mention our friends from Woodchester! and other crews from Lofty, Onka, Ridley and apols if I missed anyone).

Overall I think we did the right thing keeping crews there with the repeated breakouts and it took much consideration before we finally handed back to the landowner approx 21:00 last night.

Sad to hear about the fire near Cygnet River on KI which if the radio report this morning was corect was a flare up from a lightning strike from Friday which yesterday claimed a couple of sheds, a car and the local Telstra Exchange.
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

pumprescue

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:39:50 PM »
I understand region 2 strike team was cancelled due to lack of numbers, fair enough too, primary area comes first, and your job.

anything