Equipment > All Equipment discussion

Dead reels

(1/2) > >>

CFS_Firey:
What are peoples opinions on dead reels?  The CFS seems to be putting them on all the new trucks, but I'm not convinced they're any more useful than rolled hoses.  Has anyone had experience with them?

vsteve01:
They're good if you use a lot of layflat.  on the old 24 reels you can get about 100-150m of hose. 

misterteddy:
CFS Firey, I think they have gained popularity based on peoples experience in the Black Saturday campaign fires in Victoria. I know we used them quite a lot and found them very useful (compared to using the CFA standard rural hosereels - which were dogs to use).

We fashioned a dead reel for our appliance for the KI fires and it was excellent for the repetative 50m blackout along a road, worked quite well.

What we don't want to see, is dead reels, taking the place of live reels and our front line appliances only left with one live reel, that would be a backwards step. As vsteve said, they are excellent for layflat and packing up and moving somewhere else quickly (and allowing practices like Figure 8s to be consigned to the same place canvas beaters are living) - but thats all.....they arent a replacement for a live hose reel

Bagyassfirey:
Isn't the next build of 34's coming with 1 live and 2 dead reels?? 1 dead having 25mm and other 38mm???

Shiner:
That's what the prototype doing the rounds has, yes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version