Author Topic: RSDP?  (Read 17919 times)

Offline CountryKid

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
RSDP?
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:37:08 AM »
Hi guys....I'm hoping someone can educate me a little with regards to the RSDP program? Has anyone been through the process and what are your thoughts?

I'm currently a Vollie with SAAS, and heard about this program a while ago but recently heard some negative feedback and was told it's not worth pursuing?!

Appreciate any comments, positive and negative!  :-D

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: RSDP?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
One of my best mates is 4 years into his RSDP and loves it.
I know it wasnt easy to get into and you have to be prepared to go anywhere to do it.

My own opinion how could it not be worth it? On the job training, getting paid to learn and a garunteed job at the end of it.
Surely better than doing the degree with little on road experience and no garunteed job after graduation.

What was the negative feedback you heard?
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline CountryKid

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:25:47 AM »
Thanks for the comment Big Al....and I'm glad your mate is enjoying it!
I agree...on the job/on road is a fantastic way to learn - especially for someone like me who has been out of school for 10 years already, I think I would find it difficult to go to uni full time :-s

The negative feedback was related to the shortlisting of applicants process (pretty much how and who gets into the course). I was told it's very difficult to get in?!
Do you know the criteria for applying for the RSDP?
I have no problem with moving anywhere in the state, afterall it's paid training for a highly qualified profession and I think you need to come into these kinds of opportunites with an open mind.

Offline crossy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »
Minnium 2 years as a cert4... It sounds like it won't be around for much longer though..
cant prove it?? then i didnt do it......

Offline CountryKid

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:10:52 AM »
Thanks Crossy...I thought it was a minimum if 2 years. Why do you think it won't be around for much longer? Have past recruits not been successful?

Offline crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 01:10:21 PM »
I was told it costs so much in study for saas and theres that many paramedics coming out of uni compared to positions available that they can just tell them if they want a job they have to go regional.

Offline CountryKid

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »
That probably wouldn't be a bad idea as I know there are some regional areas that are really struggling for numbers eg. Whyalla.
My only concern with that is weather those interns will stay in the country?! I think the idea behind the RSDP was to get country people signed up and committed to a town for 5 years then hopefully they will stay there, which is not a bad idea providing they do hang around.

Offline crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:39:36 PM »
Probably end up like the mfs with a 5 year appointment? But yes I would love to see it keep going as well.. Wouldn't mind giving it a crack myself  :wink:

Offline CountryKid

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 03:56:05 PM »
...yer you and me both mate! Well you never know I guess, if they keep it going long enough we both might have the balls to give it a try :wink:

Offline CountryKid

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »
Does anyone have anything else they would like to share re. RSDP??
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been through the process..?

Offline CountryKid

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »
Does anybody know if the RSDP is still going? It's not on the SAAS website anymore...assuming it may have been axed?!
Also would like to speak to anyone who has been through the RSDP.

Offline crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »
I've been told they will be doing another the start of next year

Offline CopULater

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
from what I understand no formal RSDP recruitments anymore, all ad-hoc recruitment ( the just recruited about 5, 1 volunteer AO the other 4 PTS/ESS paid Ambulance Officers got positions). When recruited the join paramedic internship groups.

I wouldn't hold my breath on any future positions. Why would they pay AO's to upgrade to a degree when 200 graduates are available per year from Flinders Uni alone to employee)