Author Topic: CFSVA WorkCover Rally  (Read 27101 times)

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
CFSVA WorkCover Rally
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:33:51 PM »
19-07-13 11:54:32   MEMBERS WANTING TO ATTEND PR EXERCISE AT PARLIAMENT HOUSE WED 24 AT 12.30 CONTACT G/O 0417886068 THANKS MATT - CFS Barossa Group Info

Any ideas??

Offline vsteve01

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
CFSVA WorkCover Rally
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 12:41:53 PM »
19-07-13 11:54:32   MEMBERS WANTING TO ATTEND PR EXERCISE AT PARLIAMENT HOUSE WED 24 AT 12.30 CONTACT G/O 0417886068 THANKS MATT - CFS Barossa Group Info

Any ideas??

The rally against the government not including Volunteers in cancer compo thing.

Offline FFS

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
CFSVA WorkCover Rally
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »

Any ideas??

The rally against the government not including Volunteers in cancer compo thing.

A rally to highlight how we attend the same type of incidents as the MFS and are exposed to the same hazards, yet the CFSVA want us to wear YELLOWS! Surely wearing PBI (for those that have it) would be a more appropriate dress code to demonstrate our similarities to MFS and why we deserve the same legislated compensation should the unfortunate happen.
Insert witty, amusing or profound quote here...

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
CFSVA WorkCover Rally
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »

Any ideas??

A rally to highlight how we attend the same type of incidents as the MFS and are exposed to the same hazards, yet the CFSVA want us to wear YELLOWS! Surely wearing PBI (for those that have it) would be a more appropriate dress code to demonstrate our similarities to MFS and why we deserve the same legislated compensation should the unfortunate happen.

The general public recognises our yellow PPE, joe public wouldn't have any idea we have PBI gold...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:45:10 PM by CFS_Firey »

Offline FFS

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
CFSVA WorkCover Rally
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:13:03 PM »

Any ideas??

The general public recognises our yellow PPE, joe public wouldn't have any idea we have PBI gold...

That's kind of my point B donkey. We are not just a bush wacker service and this public perception (and that of some within the service) needs to be changed. More and more CFS is called upon to attend 'urban' type incidents, and not just in the urban areas.
Insert witty, amusing or profound quote here...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CFSVA WorkCover Rally
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 10:48:58 PM »
Any ideas??

That's kind of my point B donkey. We are not just a bush wacker service and this public perception (and that of some within the service) needs to be changed. More and more CFS is called upon to attend 'urban' type incidents, and not just in the urban areas.

I love the forum's "correction" of BaggyAss there!

Also, why do we need Joe public to recognise us as CFS?  Isn't the rally supposed to be for parliamentarians?

flyonthewall

CFSVA WorkCover Rally
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »

So what you are saying is that all those fireys at the Coober Peedy structure fire that weren't wearing BA, which appeared to be all of them, either chose not to wear it, weren't qualified to wear it or it wasn't on the trucks that attended the fire?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CFSVA WorkCover Rally
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »

So what you are saying is that all those fireys at the Coober Peedy structure fire that weren't wearing BA, which appeared to be all of them, either chose not to wear it, weren't qualified to wear it or it wasn't on the trucks that attended the fire?

What other options are there?

flyonthewall

Re: CFSVA WorkCover Rally
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:56:31 PM »
You apparantly don't have any other options so if someone says someone is reported inside, you cannot do anything.

My point was that 'YES' you do attend the same type of incidents as the MFS guys, but have unwilling, untrained or inadequate resources to do the job?

One look at the footage and average joe will think you are doing a great job - which for the record, I think you do with what you've got - but as an observer, the first thing I thought was "what are these blokes doing at a structure fire without BA" and for what you are trying to achieve with the legislation, it does not look good if you are not seen to be adequately protecting yourselves.

How was the rally anyway?  :-)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:59:53 PM by flyonthewall »

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »
You apparantly don't have any other options so if someone says someone is reported inside, you cannot do anything.

My point was that 'YES' you do attend the same type of incidents as the MFS guys, but have unwilling, untrained or inadequate resources to do the job?

One look at the footage and average joe will think you are doing a great job - which for the record, I think you do with what you've got - but as an observer, the first thing I thought was "what are these blokes doing at a structure fire without BA" and for what you are trying to achieve with the legislation, it does not look good if you are not seen to be adequately protecting yourselves.

The rally was "postponed" because of an undertaking from the minister to possibly look into investigating opportunities to include volunteers in the scope of the legislation.

Now, as you say, I hope the CFSVA throw all their effort into preventing us from getting cancer by getting BA sets on every truck, more training places and better PPE, and better laundering services! 

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »

Just for interest sake all the BA was committed behind the shops at the job mentioned...

muscleandpluck

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »
So u think that the Roxby CFS are the same as the SAMFS firies??
Attending one structure fire in how many years???
Maybe you should try comparing apples with apples and not sour grapes! LOL
 :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »
There has been some research done, which indicates that bushfire smoke is dangerous to your health as well, due to the various combustion products.

If both MFS & CFS members followed their respective SOP's, then MFS firefighters should have less exposure to smoke than CFS, as they should be wearing BA to the bulk of their jobs, while CFS members, who might only attend the occasional structure / car fire, but several bushfires, are not wearing respiratory protection, the bulk of the time, and hence have large exposure to smoke......

So are CFS Volunteers not facing the same risks as paid firefighters?

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

flyonthewall

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 04:50:44 PM »
Unfortunately it is not as easy as saying 'I'm a firefighter so I deserve something'

There has been some research done, which indicates that bushfire smoke is dangerous to your health as well, due to the various combustion products.

If both MFS & CFS members followed their respective SOP's, then MFS firefighters should have less exposure to smoke than CFS, as they should be wearing BA to the bulk of their jobs, while CFS members, who might only attend the occasional structure / car fire, but several bushfires, are not wearing respiratory protection, the bulk of the time, and hence have large exposure to smoke......

Pip

.....then your own organisation should be doing something about having its members subject to these exposures.

muscleandpluck

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 07:14:16 PM »

Pip

Basic Firefighting 101
Place yourself UPWIND so as not to be in the smoke???
Risk Vs Reward, unless there is something of value, why place yourself in harms way?

Perhaps you should try to attend a Compartment firefighting course, and then you will appreciate that you do not face the same risks as paid firies.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »

Pip

Basic Firefighting 101
Place yourself UPWIND so as not to be in the smoke???
Risk Vs Reward, unless there is something of value, why place yourself in harms way?

Perhaps you should try to attend a Compartment firefighting course, and then you will appreciate that you do not face the same risks as paid firies.

I reckon you might be right mr muscle, a house burning in a Paid firefighters response area has far more risks associated with it than a house burning in a volunteers response area...

Than again I was up early this morning and could quite possibly be disorientated at this point!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:58:54 PM by Bagyassfirey »

Offline crossy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 07:55:52 PM »
The CFS does a compartment course muscleandpluck.... Which I'm sure quite a few of the Cfs members on here have attended.. And have you ever tried to stay out of the smoke at a bushfire? It tends to blow in the same direction as the wind which funnily enough is usually the same direction as the fires heading!  :-o hard to believe I know...
cant prove it?? then i didnt do it......

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 10:51:37 PM »
I love how this thread has turned into another MFS v CFS debate. Anyway did anyone catch the news re the house fire at Nailsworth? Just a few MFS firies standing in quite heavy smoke, BA masks dangling around their necks, no helmets? Looks like you're your own worst enemy, but it doesnt matter cause if you get cancer you're covered hey?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

flyonthewall

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
I love how this thread has turned into another MFS v CFS debate. Anyway did anyone catch the news re the house fire at Nailsworth? Just a few MFS firies standing in quite heavy smoke, BA masks dangling around their necks, no helmets? Looks like you're your own worst enemy, but it doesnt matter cause if you get cancer you're covered hey?

Ironically, I find your last comment in line with your Avatar profile......... something about idiots?

Anyway..........
I feel that your post safireservice is likely directed at my post about the coober Peedy fire? Please correct me if I am wrong.

As for looking like the MFS is its own worst enemy, I think you should check out your own back yard first.

If you didn't understand my point about what appeared to me, is an organisation sending unprepared, unequipped firefighters to a structure fire then maybe you should read it again.

It was intended to be on your side of the fence..... you guys should have the adequate protection if you are going to structure fires.

As for the CFS vs MFS debate, I intended in no way for it to follow that path, I cannot comment for muscleandpluck.

.........The guys at the Nailsworth fire had been in and were changing cylinders (Channel 7 footage that I saw). All the firefighters committed had BA on and we can all agree that there will always be smoke where there is fire.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:45:01 AM by flyonthewall »

muscleandpluck

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »

Spoken with true ignorance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pumprescue

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »
The risk isn't the same, and how can the risk be calculated to be directly involved with CFS, who's to say its not from your normal job. Its a hard line to work out, SAMFS are firefighters as their main job, so a lot easier to work out.

As for equipment and training, spot on, CFS aren't trained well enough or provided with enough gear, no fault of the volunteers, heck I have been one for 17 years and never seen the service in such a state. The service should be pushing the funding issues, start there, then move up, we pick some strange battles as an organisation.

misterteddy

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:12 PM »
we pick some strange battles as an organisation.

just remembering of course that this particular fight has been picked up and run with by the CFSVA.....not the CFS

your point is still pertinent however

anything