Author Topic: 2014 Recruitment  (Read 127974 times)

Monger

Re: 2014 Recruitment
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 11:54:08 AM »
W

I spoke with an Army trainer yesterday who is training three guys to try for MFS and he had heard there will be 3 intakes this year.

Who else is training hard and getting keen to try out?

Yeah cos he would know.....
Cant see there being 54 retirements

Lol,

Only thing you can be semi certain on is that their could be one drill squad within 12 months because SAFECOM had put a budget line down for it. Like all government departments if you don't spend your budget it will get cut but in saying that if their haven't been many retirements and guys still floating around as fill ins from the last drill squad it would be lucky to have one drill squad let alone a second one next year if the state election has any effect on funding or retirements.

Are they doing physical training with Army guy?

Offline Krank

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
Given that it takes over 30 weeks to make a cab rank, they would have to run simultaneous squads to do more than one this year, which would be more than difficult due to lack of resources (appliances, Brukunga time etc.)

BCrocker

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »
Given that it takes over 30 weeks to make a cab rank, they would have to run simultaneous squads to do more than one this year, which would be more than difficult due to lack of resources (appliances, Brukunga time etc.)

Done it before - had 2 squads running, one started 6 weeks after the other.  in 2009 if i remember correctly.
Brukunga - easy, SAMFS just need to book it for the week.  in fact they book Brukunga first, then build the start date from that.
Appliances - no problem, there are 4 training appliances @ APTC, or Engineering, and some (5GP's, and 3 Rescue) in the relief fleet that could be used

Monger

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »

Done it before - had 2 squads running, one started 6 weeks after the other.  in 2009 if i remember correctly.
Brukunga - easy, SAMFS just need to book it for the week.  in fact they book Brukunga first, then build the start date from that.
Appliances - no problem, there are 4 training appliances @ APTC, or Engineering, and some (5GP's, and 3 Rescue) in the relief fleet that could be used

The have run squads with the 6 week over lap plenty of times. I think they will run one and then see how many retire mid year. Just because safecom have budget for drill squad doesn't mean they have funding for extra staff if no one retires.

Monger

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2014, 06:22:04 PM »

From the way I hear they may recruit this year it will be a lot less than 30 weeks to have a cab rank ready 

flyonthewall

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 07:38:35 PM »

Done it before - had 2 squads running, one started 6 weeks after the other.  in 2009 if i remember correctly.
Brukunga - easy, SAMFS just need to book it for the week.  in fact they book Brukunga first, then build the start date from that.

Have you got anymore jokes?

Offline FF GAZZ

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2014, 08:48:13 AM »
With the rumour mill in full flight has anyone actually heard anything if the recruitment process is starting next week, next month or 6 months time?

Offline Krank

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2014, 05:00:21 PM »
The recruitment officers still don't know when things will kick off...

Monger

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 04:28:32 AM »

Check tomorrows paper

Monger

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 08:48:37 AM »

Check tomorrows paper

The MFS recruits on a needs basis and at this time it is not known when we will next recruit.

You are therefore encouraged to regularly monitor this website for any updates.

Doesnt sound like anytime soon, change on SAMFS website

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »
Is it a play on words by HR though as it does say regularly monitor the website and no date set when to monitor like normally.

Offline BT085

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2014, 12:05:50 PM »
All the speculation is hilarious... I fell into the trap of listening to it all 3 years ago when I had a crack first time.. No-one ends up being right, despite the interesting discussion. I highly recommend if anyone is interested to do the old fashioned approach and ring and have a chat with the head of HR.. He was very open to me, had a good chat for 10 mins about all things recruitment. (This was 3 days ago)  I used to speak to Mara Ferret? Is she no longer with MFS?

Monger

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »
All the speculation is hilarious... I fell into the trap of listening to it all 3 years ago when I had a crack first time.. No-one ends up being right, despite the interesting discussion. I highly recommend if anyone is interested to do the old fashioned approach and ring and have a chat with the head of HR.. He was very open to me, had a good chat for 10 mins about all things recruitment. (This was 3 days ago)  I used to speak to Mara Ferret? Is she no longer with MFS?

Did he know what was going on?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:29:02 PM by Ferret »

Offline BT085

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2014, 02:20:17 PM »
In a nutshell he said "yes" recruitment will happen "this year", hinted further that there will be an update to website end of January. This discussion happened before the site was updated a day ago. So according to him there should be another update later this month.. He couldn't tell me too much , but I was getting more info from him than just relying on website updates and speculation. Speculation is good fun tho- keep everyone excited I guess!

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »
Website has been updated again,

The MFS recruits on a needs basis.  It is currently unknown as to when the next recruitment campaign will commence.

You are therefore encouraged to regularly monitor this website for any updates.

Applications for full time firefighters are only accepted during an active recruitment campaign.

Care has been taken to ensure that this website provides you with all the information you will require.  We therefore ask that you please ensure that you have read all the information provided.

Telephone inquiries will be referred back to this website where necessary.           

How obvious do they have to make it?

Offline Al

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2014, 02:32:39 PM »
Hey guys, just reading the initial posts talking about the process and had a quick question... is there much point to the initial resume you send in to Locher? If it is all pass/ fail till the interview stage, do they read it and can it influence your ranking? I'm just curious if it's worth spending heaps of time on?

Do they call all referees? By that time you'd be at the medical stage and pretty much in right?

Monger

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2014, 06:37:06 PM »
Hey guys, just reading the initial posts talking about the process and had a quick question... is there much point to the initial resume you send in to Locher? If it is all pass/ fail till the interview stage, do they read it and can it influence your ranking? I'm just curious if it's worth spending heaps of time on?

Do they call all referees? By that time you'd be at the medical stage and pretty much in right?

They ring the referees last so you would have to get an absolute grilling from your reference to miss out.
The mfs are ruthless throughout the whole process, looking to cull numbers any chance they get so make sure you dot your I's and cross your t's
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:29:38 PM by Ferret »

flyonthewall

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »

You are joking aren't you?  :?
I don't know how many times it needs to be spelled out........any chance to cull the numbers will be taken.

When I joined, I was asked to bring two resume'/CV's along to the interview. I printed out two, went to my interview, handed them in and was given one back immediately. Nothing was said, I didn't ask any questions about it and somehow I think it was a test?..............I don't know why and never will.

Most times, I believe, more people are tested than required so there is a 'pool' of candidates after the testing has been done, should more be needed for any reason. This does not guarantee you are 'in' so getting a medical is just another part of the selection process which may/may not tick another box.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:28:13 PM by flyonthewall »

Offline Al

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »
I was just trying to ask if the resume is pass/ fail or a part of what gets you cab ranked. Sorry if I asked the question in a weird way. No need to go all keyboard warrior on me  :-)

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2014, 06:03:53 PM »
I would put as much as you can for each process and not think it is only a beep test or a resume etc because they look at everything you do and how you conduct yourself. You don't want to get to the end and miss out by one or two spots and think I should have put more effort in somewhere. Just my opinion anyway. They might even be watching this forum!!!!
Good luck to all when it finally happens.

flyonthewall

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2014, 07:29:01 PM »
I was just trying to ask if the resume is pass/ fail or a part of what gets you cab ranked. Sorry if I asked the question in a weird way. No need to go all keyboard warrior on me  :-)

Sorry if you took it that way, 'keyboard warrior' was not intended as such  :?

.......... best of luck with it then.

Monger

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2014, 11:57:42 AM »

. Apparently the only ranking is from the interview. Dont read too much into the process, it is a game of luck at the end.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:30:10 PM by Ferret »

Offline Al

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
Thanks guys. I am sure a lot of people read this and appreciate all of your understandings as to how it all works. My resume will be awesome regardless, I was more wondering about the process which is pretty confusing hey?

Anyway cheers... maybe more to come post March election??

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2014, 05:59:23 PM »
Was told today the advertisement was ment to come out last Saturday but due to so many deployments it was post-poned, still talk of their being phone interviews.

Monger

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
Was told today the advertisement was ment to come out last Saturday but due to so many deployments it was post-poned, still talk of their being phone interviews.

They have tried to outsource recruitment in other states with terrible results
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:30:33 PM by Ferret »

anything