Author Topic: 2014 Recruitment  (Read 127969 times)

Offline aclarky1988

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
2014 Recruitment
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
Hey guys and girls. This is my first post on this forum. I am looking at trying out for the SAMFS next year. I am 25 years of age and have a big fitness back ground. I have previously worked as a full time tradesman and now currently in Sales. I would love the opportunity to have a job that will be very. Challenging and different to a everyday job.

Was wondering if anyone have advice on what I should pre pair  myself for. I hear it is very difficult to get into the SAMFS. I am training extra hard with my fitness as I want to give the one shot and my best shot.

Any replies would be very appreciated.

Cheers all
Andrew
One Life, One Chance

Monger

Re: 2014 Recruitment
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
Hey guys and girls. This is my first post on this forum. I am looking at trying out for the SAMFS next year. I am 25 years of age and have a big fitness back ground. I have previously worked as a full time tradesman and now currently in Sales. I would love the opportunity to have a job that will be very. Challenging and different to a everyday job.

Was wondering if anyone have advice on what I should pre pair  myself for. I hear it is very difficult to get into the SAMFS. I am training extra hard with my fitness as I want to give the one shot and my best shot.

Any replies would be very appreciated.

Cheers all
Andrew

The fitness testing is not difficult, 9.6 beep test. The harder part is the aptitude testing and psych test. Having said that, the actual hard part of getting in to the MFS is the sheer number of applicants(sometimes 5-600) for maybe 18 or 36 spots generally

Offline aclarky1988

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »
Yeah id be fine for the beep test. I normally run that at level 13.

What kind of things should I expect in the aptitude testing and psych test? Yeah iv heard a lot of people apply and very few get in. Its something I really want to get into so I want to fully ore pair for my self.

That you for the reply
One Life, One Chance

flyonthewall

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »
Also, as has been said numerous times.............make sure you have all the pre-requesites because you won't even get past the application. It is all on the SAMFS website  :-)

Monger

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 06:16:59 AM »
Yeah id be fine for the beep test. I normally run that at level 13.

What kind of things should I expect in the aptitude testing and psych test? Yeah iv heard a lot of people apply and very few get in. Its something I really want to get into so I want to fully ore pair for my self.

That you for the reply

Best advice would be to look at the example questions on the SAMFS website.

Offline aclarky1988

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »
Yeah I have all Minimum Requirements. Just going to keep training and training and training. Also been looking at all different Test IE the one on the site, Army site ones.

Thanks For your replies. Are you guys in the MFS?
One Life, One Chance

Offline Krank

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »
There used to be a book called "preparing for career selection tests" by Veera Freeman that was excellent for studying, research the samfs organization for if you get to the interview (different departments etc) and make sure you're ready, it's coming soon

Monger

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 04:49:39 PM »
There used to be a book called "preparing for career selection tests" by Veera Freeman that was excellent for studying, research the samfs organization for if you get to the interview (different departments etc) and make sure you're ready, it's coming soon

I would concentrate on the aptitude, if you start worrying about interview you may get ahead of yourself and be disappointed

Offline gasman

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 07:26:11 PM »

I would concentrate on the aptitude, if you start worrying about interview you may get ahead of yourself and be disappointed
[/quote]
Wiser words were never spoken!!
I just want to help

Offline aclarky1988

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »
Thanks Guys, I will try and get hold of this book.

What is the order of selections? How does it all work.
Is it possible to get in the first time? Its something iv always wanted to do and I have been training very hard to get to a high level fitness.

Bring on the Future :D
One Life, One Chance

Monger

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »

Is it possible to get in the first time? Its something iv always wanted to do and I have been training very hard to get to a high level fitness.

Bring on the Future :D

Its all on the websire.
step 1. Apply- Mr truck and senior first aid
step 2. Beep test, 9.6 level once you reach 9.6 you stop, no prizes for 14.3
step 3. aptitude(mechanical,maths,grammar) and personality profiling
step 4. interview, they will generally pick about 100 to interview depending on the number of recruits they predict they may need. From the interview you will be "cab ranked" 1-100. As they do a drill squad they pick from the top down
step 5. Pat 2 test, firefighting simulated tests-tunnel crawl, hose hold, stair climb etc
step 6. Medical
step 7. Best job in the world

Offline aclarky1988

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »
Lets hope I make it to the Step 7 :D

Thanks for the replies, Its making me really keen
One Life, One Chance

flyonthewall

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »

Bring on the Future

Like Ferret says, it's all on the website.......

Yes, you can get in first time.
Fitness comes later on in the process, bar the pat 1 - shuttle run so I would concentrate on one step at a time.

Remember that there is normally a large amount of applicants so regardless of how good you think you might be, the process is designed to cull the numbers. Good luck  :-)

Offline aclarky1988

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 11:35:30 AM »
Thanks all for the comments. Muchly helped. Going to start to focus on studying as fitness is my every day thing and is not a problem.

Hope to become one of you guys some day. And good luck to anyone else who applies
One Life, One Chance

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
Ferret and flyonthewall I hope you are getting paid for every time you are having to tell people to see the website as it is getting a bit ridiculous hahaha (Not to be negative).

Although I hope I speak for everyone the information you guys have provided over the past couple of years has been really helpful, Thanks.

aclarky1988 I am right with you it will be my first time applying too.

Offline aclarky1988

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 12:32:58 PM »
Good Luck FFGAZZ.

And thanks heaps guys. I know the website has a lot of information on it. But for some reason the website doesn't talk back when I ask it a question haha.

Appreciate this a lot. Im ganna give this everthing I have. Get the best job in the world :-)
One Life, One Chance

flyonthewall

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 02:43:48 PM »
Ferret and flyonthewall I hope you are getting paid for every time you are having to tell people to see the website as it is getting a bit ridiculous hahaha (Not to be negative).

Although I hope I speak for everyone the information you guys have provided over the past couple of years has been really helpful, Thanks.

aclarky1988 I am right with you it will be my first time applying too.

The process has changed a bit since I applied so I can't give any exact information about it now, that is why I suggest the website (which was not available when I was trying to get in so you are all lucky to have it to refer to). I went through the ups and downs of the process several times so I can understand the emotions.

Good luck to all applying  :-)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:47:28 PM by flyonthewall »

Offline aclarky1988

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
Thanks Flyonthewall.

Are you now a member of the MFS?
One Life, One Chance

flyonthewall

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »

Yes

Offline aclarky1988

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »

Yes

How long have you been with them? Did it take you many shots to get accepted?
One Life, One Chance

flyonthewall

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »
How long have you been with them? Did it take you many shots to get accepted?

Over 10 yrs

4X 

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 08:26:28 PM »
I tried over a period of seven years, made the interview every time, got through the PAT 2 test easily once, never got a job offer. I have given up now but know plenty who have gone through the process and finally made it in. If I hadn't bulged multiple discs in my back last year I would probably trying again. Make sure you dot all the I's and cross all the T's. Good luck, stay positive and above all be as presentable as you can be at every stage. You are being watched every step of the way!!!
I just want to help

Offline aclarky1988

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 06:24:04 AM »
I tried over a period of seven years, made the interview every time, got through the PAT 2 test easily once, never got a job offer. I have given up now but know plenty who have gone through the process and finally made it in. If I hadn't bulged multiple discs in my back last year I would probably trying again. Make sure you dot all the I's and cross all the T's. Good luck, stay positive and above all be as presentable as you can be at every stage. You are being watched every step of the way!!!

Thanks mate, Sorry to hear you didn't get in and not good about your back.

Have many people got in first go that you know of? Im going to give it everything I have!!
One Life, One Chance

BCrocker

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 09:30:18 AM »

Have many people got in first go that you know of? Im going to give it everything I have!!

I got in first try, and of the 19 in my drill squad, 12 were first timers

Monger

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 11:50:20 AM »

I think years ago there was an unwritten law that you didnt get in first time but this day and age they cannot discriminate in any way,
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:23:35 PM by Ferret »

anything