Author Topic: 2014 Recruitment  (Read 127928 times)

Offline Krank

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Recruitment
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 11:52:12 AM »

Thanks mate, Sorry to hear you didn't get in and not good about your back.

Have many people got in first go that you know of? Im going to give it everything I have!!

I got in first try, and of the 19 in my drill squad, 12 were first timers

You are AWESOME!

Monger

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »

Have many people got in first go that you know of? Im going to give it everything I have!!

You are AWESOME!

Why was there 19 in squad?

muscleandpluck

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »
This happens occasionally, usually when someone from the previous squad fails to finish course due to injury, etc etc.
those who have tried and failed should know that there are a few who have tried 9 times and failed but had success on the 10th attempt.
I would be asking for feedback to improve on areas of weakness!

BCrocker

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »
This happens occasionally, usually when someone from the previous squad fails to finish course due to injury, etc etc.

Spot on, got crook in week 11 of his squad, so came back in week 9 of ours to complete - 23 months later, once he was well

BCrocker

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »

You are AWESOME!

I know  :-P

Offline Sammy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 07:09:52 PM »
I tried over a period of seven years, made the interview every time, got through the PAT 2 test easily once, never got a job offer. I have given up now but know plenty who have gone through the process and finally made it in. If I hadn't bulged multiple discs in my back last year I would probably trying again. Make sure you dot all the I's and cross all the T's. Good luck, stay positive and above all be as presentable as you can be at every stage. You are being watched every step of the way!!!

I think years ago there was an unwritten law that you didnt get in first time but this day and age they cannot discriminate in any way, hence 50yr olds getting recruited.

What are your thoughts on discrimination towards personality types? I'm unsure how it works, but if you were to get in the top 10% of the aptitude testing, but not receive an invitation to an interview, just because your personality profile doesn't fit.
Does this happen?

Monger

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
I tried over a period of seven years, made the interview every time, got through the PAT 2 test easily once, never got a job offer. I have given up now but know plenty who have gone through the process and finally made it in. If I hadn't bulged multiple discs in my back last year I would probably trying again. Make sure you dot all the I's and cross all the T's. Good luck, stay positive and above all be as presentable as you can be at every stage. You are being watched every step of the way!!!

I think years ago there was an unwritten law that you didnt get in first time but this day and age they cannot discriminate in any way, hence 50yr olds getting recruited.

What are your thoughts on discrimination towards personality types? I'm unsure how it works, but if you were to get in the top 10% of the aptitude testing, but not receive an invitation to an interview, just because your personality profile doesn't fit.
Does this happen?

The aptitude is pass/fail from what I know. The only ranking comes from the interview. Of course you need to be a certain personality, you are pretty much living with your crew and have to be able to handle certain situations.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:24:24 PM by Ferret »

Monger

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »
those who have tried and failed should know that there are a few who have tried 9 times and failed but had success on the 10th attempt.
I would be asking for feedback to improve on areas of weakness!

Ha ha. Good luck getting any individual feed back from mfs hr people that isnt a generic answer

BCrocker

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 08:52:45 PM »

The aptitude is pass/fail from what I know. The only ranking comes from the interview. Of course you need to be a certain personality, you are pretty much living with your crew and have to be able to handle certain situations. As it is a few douce bags still slip through

There is one in every squad - don't be that one!   :-o :cry: :?

Monger

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »

The aptitude is pass/fail from what I know. The only ranking comes from the interview. Of course you need to be a certain personality, you are pretty much living with your crew and have to be able to handle certain situations. As it is a few douce bags still slip through

There is one in every squad - don't be that one!   :-o :cry: :?

Squad 41 had about 6 of them  8-)

Offline Krank

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 07:15:29 AM »

Does this happen?

What personality type are you worried about being discriminated against?

Monger

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »

Does this happen?

What personality type are you worried about being discriminated against?

Yeah we should take all the top aptitude results even if the person is all about themselves, doesnt fit in to a team and thinks theyre better than everyone else. That would work on the back of a truck,
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:25:10 PM by Ferret »

Offline FF GAZZ

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 11:32:05 AM »
Last week I was lucky enough to meet a retired MFS firefighter who spent 15 years as an recruitment officer and all the testing is pass/ fail, however due to the large number of people who apply guys are missing out by only .5% in testing by someone who scored better.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:36:55 AM by FFGAZZ »

flyonthewall

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
Thanks Guys, I will try and get hold of this book.

What is the order of selections? How does it all work.
Is it possible to get in the first time? Its something iv always wanted to do and I have been training very hard to get to a high level fitness.

Bring on the Future

Like Ferret says, it's all on the website.......

Yes, you can get in first time.
Fitness comes later on in the process, bar the pat 1 - shuttle run so I would concentrate on one step at a time.

Remember that there is normally a large amount of applicants so regardless of how good you think you might be, the process is designed to cull the numbers. Good luck  :-)

......what I said previously  :-)

Monger

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 04:29:22 AM »
Last week I was lucky enough to meet a retired MFS firefighter who spent 15 years as an recruitment officer and all the testing is pass/ fail, however due to the large number of people who apply guys are missing out by only .5% in testing by someone who scored better.

How long had he been retired for??

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 08:47:59 AM »
I'm not sure Ferret I didn't get to ask the question but the way he was talking maybe around 5 years.

Offline Krank

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 12:31:45 PM »

If it was a pass/fail how can people miss out by .5%? Wouldn't it have to be graded to have a percentage result?
The only sections that are now graded are the interview and the 'written test' which contains the standard maths, English, etc. questions and the aptitude test which is called psychometric profiling (all part of the one testing evolution).

flyonthewall

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »

When I joined, I believe the benchmark for the aptitude test was 90%+. There was also a different order of testing.............the aptitude test was after application and then the PAT 1.

Your comment is interesting FFGAZZ because there is not a recruitment officer as such. There are officers that may instruct one, two or maybe three recruit squads as part of their service requirements but I don't know of any that spent 15yrs doing it?

If it was a pass/fail how can people miss out by .5%? Wouldn't it have to be graded to have a percentage result?
The only sections that are now graded are the interview and the 'written test' which contains the standard maths, English, etc. questions and the aptitude test which is called psychometric profiling (all part of the one testing evolution).

I'm sure FFGAZZ meant that people were missing out on getting to the interview by .5% after the 'phsycometric profiling'

After the interview, people are then 'ranked' in an order which determines the 'number' in which they are selected to progress.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:58:41 PM by flyonthewall »

Monger

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2013, 08:14:30 AM »

When I joined, I believe the benchmark for the aptitude test was 90%+. There was also a different order of testing.............the aptitude test was after application and then the PAT 1.

Your comment is interesting FFGAZZ because there is not a recruitment officer as such. There are officers that may instruct one, two or maybe three recruit squads as part of their service requirements but I don't know of any that spent 15yrs doing it?

I'm sure FFGAZZ meant that people were missing out on getting to the interview by .5% after the 'phsycometric profiling'

After the interview, people are then 'ranked' in an order which determines the 'number' in which they are selected to progress.

Its not like a firey to exaggerate... 15yrs, maybe he meant months?? There is no point worrying about how the process works, just turn up, do your best and wait for info on the next stage. They give you no useful feedback all way thru.
If you turn up and fail the pat1 then you are an absolute spud, its the only stage you can practice and know you can pass.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:25:51 PM by Ferret »

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »
Sorry guys I didn't get to speak to the guy very long so I can't give exact detail, he did mention when he was a recruitment officer it was before private recruitment companies were involved (I'm guessing Locher) so it may have been 20 years ago and the info may be useless.

If they did interviews over the phone I wonder if they would change the process then as Airservices Australia do their process as follows:

1) Application,
2) Maths, English and Psych tests online,
3) Phone interview,
4) Pat 1, Pat 2 equivalent, medical and interview with recruitment board on one day.

Monger

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2013, 10:10:03 AM »
Sorry guys I didn't get to speak to the guy very long so I can't give exact detail, he did mention when he was a recruitment officer it was before private recruitment companies were involved (I'm guessing Locher) so it may have been 20 years ago and the info may be useless.

If they did interviews over the phone I wonder if they would change the process then as Airservices Australia do their process as follows:

1) Application,
2) Maths, English and Psych tests online,
3) Phone interview,
4) Pat 1, Pat 2 equivalent, medical and interview with recruitment board on one day.

The only advantage of the initial phone interview would be to reduce the numbers and time for all the other tests. I doubt the process will change much. Maybe Interview format may vary like they do every few years

Monger

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
W
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:29:12 PM by Ferret »

Offline aclarky1988

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2014, 09:30:33 AM »
W

I spoke with an Army trainer yesterday who is training three guys to try for MFS and he had heard there will be 3 intakes this year.

Who else is training hard and getting keen to try out?
One Life, One Chance

Monger

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »
W

I spoke with an Army trainer yesterday who is training three guys to try for MFS and he had heard there will be 3 intakes this year.

Yeah cos he would know.....
Cant see there being 54 retirements

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »
W

Yeah cos he would know.....
Cant see there being 54 retirements

Lol,

Only thing you can be semi certain on is that their could be one drill squad within 12 months because SAFECOM had put a budget line down for it. Like all government departments if you don't spend your budget it will get cut but in saying that if their haven't been many retirements and guys still floating around as fill ins from the last drill squad it would be lucky to have one drill squad let alone a second one next year if the state election has any effect on funding or retirements.

anything