Author Topic: 34/34P cab steps  (Read 11431 times)

Offline gilfire99

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
34/34P cab steps
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »
Had a "discussion" with our HQ engineering bods at Homebush today. Once again complained about the accessibility into our Category 1 (equivalent to 34) appliances and asked if a better step could be provided for rear seat passengers remembering that all the early Isuzu FTS800s in our fleet have already upgraded the steps once, still inadequate.
Mentioned that I liked the look of the steps fitted to SACFS units. Well got abused again for being ex-SA and informed that SACFS having "huge" issues with cabs cracking due to the weight of these steps. First I have heard of this, is there any truth to this? or is it yet another case of HQ Engineering B/S?
NSWRFS District Officer, Learning & Development Officer, Castlereagh Zone, Gilgandra NSW
Ex Kangarilla Brigade SACFS

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: 34/34P cab steps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
Have the first build of FTS800 34 (Moores Build) in our brigade, 5 years on and no problems with the steps at all.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline gilfire99

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »
Thanks Big Al. So if 150 odd people have viewed this and no one seems to have an issue with cabs cracking plus most of my other inquiries were answered pretty much along the lines of "uhh?" then I guess I can put this one to bed. Ah well, too late now, I will do battle with them in the New Year  :evil:

Honestly, a genuine engineering reason, even a financial reason ( why not they've used it before) or just a plain fob off (we'll look into that) would have been better than denigrating my former Service, my experience and then coming up with what appears to be an outright lie.

Thanks all for your time and have a safe, call-out free Christmas!
NSWRFS District Officer, Learning & Development Officer, Castlereagh Zone, Gilgandra NSW

Offline FF GAZZ

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 09:25:57 PM »
I am not sure how you will go with NSWRFS but my CFS brigade have had luck with getting things looked into/ fixed by keep putting hazard forms in and it gets looked into after awhile because it keeps becoming a recurring issue.

Offline ZINGER

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 02:15:57 AM »
Gilfire99
Like you I have been in both services and have seen the massive differences and pros and cons to both.

The poorly designed NSWRFS engineering designed appliances would have to be one of it's bigger failures. (That and dial-a-jets as attack branches lol)

Do you know what the price difference is between a 34 or 34p to a cat 1?

Also no I have never heard of the the steps or cabs cracking on the 34's

Offline gilfire99

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »
Out of step with current 34/34P costs but a NSWRFS grasslands style d/cab Cat 1 with 3 lockers, 253 pump about 280K. Village type like we operate, 5 lockers plus under tray cabinets for auxiliary pump and generator, mk300 pump a shade over 300K. Oh, and no rear bucket seats, flat bench with about 2 inches of padding!

Offline ZINGER

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:17:53 PM »
Do the new ones come with any in cab breathing, intercom, electronic water level or overrun protection in the crew deck yet?