Author Topic: ARFF  (Read 64295 times)

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
ARFF
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:06:16 PM »
Hey guys,

I've had a sift through this site and couldn't really find anything about the airport fireys at all.

Anyway I have stacks of questions about going for the ARFF so absolutely any advice/information is appreciated as it is my first time going for anything.

Just a bit about myself, I'm 20 (turn 21 in July) and currently manage a gym. I have my senior first aid and also my Automatic HR truck license.

I found the SAMFS website to be much more detailed with information and the stages as opposed to the airservices website. If anyone on here is either an airport firey or would have answers for some basic and some more in depth questions please help me out. It would be awesome if we could get a discussion going.

I guess my first question though is what sort of questions would they ask in the phone interview as there is a panel interview later on in the process?

Thanks.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: ARFF
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:22:52 PM »
My question is, do they seriously do "automatic" only truck licenses??
and if so why on earth wouldn't you learn in a manual so if circumstances arose u could actually you know, drive both??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »
and if so why on earth wouldn't you learn in a manual so if circumstances arose u could actually you know, drive both??

Yea well that's what I said to the dude, but he was so convinced that I wouldn't need a manual (as it cost more) that he said if I got into the fire service and they said I needed it that he would teach me for free. (This was the dude I got my license from)

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:43:34 PM »
I have found Airservices Australia web site to have a fair bit of info. It has a selection process there, the physical on YouTube , some info on what they actually do or don't do!!!!  There are a few recruit courses on YouTube which is good to watch just type in ARFF recruits.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
I have found Airservices Australia web site to have a fair bit of info. It has a selection process there, the physical on YouTube , some info on what they actually do or don't do!!!!  There are a few recruit courses on YouTube which is good to watch just type in ARFF recruits.

That's awesome! I've only watched one video so far but I will continue to watch more, very insightful, cheers man.

Does anyone know what questions they ask in the phone interview? I just want to be as prepared as possible?

Offline FF GAZZ

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »
Justme the phone interview is really casual, I applied for Perth late last year but had to withdraw from selection, they ask roughly a dozen questions like have you worked in a team and what examples can you provide, have you had to follow orders and have you had to question those orders.

Their is a face to face interview later in the process when you do a medical.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 07:06:12 AM »
Great! I've got plenty examples of that from previous jobs so that should be fine.

Another question, assuming I make it all the way through, is there any accommodation provided or do we have to fend for ourselves?

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 07:36:48 AM »
Yeah mate all is sorted out. Look under the frequently asked questions bit and it has it there.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »
I've had a read through it a few times and haven't found anything that explicitly says where you stay, all I found was this.

"Do recruits work on weekends?

Yes, you may be required to work nights and weekends as required while attending the 11 week recruit course and whilst completing 24 hours, 7 day shift work at the fire station."

Is that implying that you are staying on station the whole time?

Or am I looking in the wrong spot? If I am can you please send me a link.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 08:32:49 AM »
I understand that everyone wants to go for the SAMFS so for 18 positions there's roughly between 1100 - 2500 applicants? Something ridiculous anyway.

Just curious if anyone knows how many people go for the ARFF?

Monger

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 10:33:36 AM »

Yea well that's what I said to the dude, but he was so convinced that I wouldn't need a manual (as it cost more) that he said if I got into the fire service and they said I needed it that he would teach me for free. (This was the dude I got my license from)

SAMFS needs unrestricted HR license once you have been in for 12 months, at own cost. I hope your instructor is true to his word

Monger

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »
I understand that everyone wants to go for the SAMFS so for 18 positions there's roughly between 1100 - 2500 applicants? Something ridiculous anyway.

Just curious if anyone knows how many people go for the ARFF?

About half that for SAMFS 5-600. Not sure on ARFF. Dont you ever want to go to a fire?? We have quite a few ex airport firies, first aid in the terminal was their main business

Monger

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 10:44:47 AM »
I've had a read through it a few times and haven't found anything that explicitly says where you stay, all I found was this.

"Do recruits work on weekends?

Yes, you may be required to work nights and weekends as required while attending the 11 week recruit course and whilst completing 24 hours, 7 day shift work at the fire station."

Is that implying that you are staying on station the whole time?

Or am I looking in the wrong spot? If I am can you please send me a link.

I guess they would have accomodation for you either at the station or nearby. If it was to be at your own cost im sure they would highlight it on the website

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »
@Ferret

My dad knows the instructor, he's a good dude and runs a solid business, he will definitely help me out.

It does say on the website that they give you some sort of travel and I think accommodation allowance but I hear mixed reviews so I was after a definite answer.

As for the whole going to a fire thing, I know that most of their calls are first aid, however what I'm doing at the moment isn't what I want to do, and ARFF could be a good learning experience for me and help me maybe one day get into the SAMFS. A step in the right direction I guess.

Monger

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »
@Ferret

My dad knows the instructor, he's a good dude and runs a solid business, he will definitely help me out.

It does say on the website that they give you some sort of travel and I think accommodation allowance but I hear mixed reviews so I was after a definite answer.

As for the whole going to a fire thing, I know that most of their calls are first aid, however what I'm doing at the moment isn't what I want to do, and ARFF could be a good learning experience for me and help me maybe one day get into the SAMFS. A step in the right direction I guess.

Travel, accommodation and a meal allowance during the 11 week recruit course will also be paid. I read that as accomodation and travel are paid for, also a meal allowance is paid

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 11:15:50 AM »
@Ferret

Travel, accommodation and a meal allowance during the 11 week recruit course will also be paid. I read that as accomodation and travel are paid for, also a meal allowance is paid

Yea that's true, I didn't think to read it like that, cheers.

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »
You stay in a hotel just out of the city in Moonee Ponds and they supply the transport to get to school. I know it's hard not to but don't worry about things that far down the line.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 07:17:01 AM »
Yea true, just focus on what's next I guess.

Offline FF GAZZ

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 02:42:41 PM »
As ARFF Adelaide has sea rescue capability what training do they do besides the swimming requirement to join?

Monger

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 09:25:31 AM »
Did you apply for the current applications?? Online testing is on now. What is to stop you cheating in the online tests?? Eg. Have a mate slightly smarter than you sit next to you at your computer and help you out?

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 09:44:52 AM »
There is nothing to stop you but they do test you again at the station later in the process. I also would assume that they would compare your interview results to your answers to the online testing.

Monger

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »
There is nothing to stop you but they do test you again at the station later in the process. I also would assume that they would compare your interview results to your answers to the online testing.

How will your interview reults reflect any of the testing in Stage 1? Also even though they test you later in the process, if people can cheat it means the "honest" applicants maybe eliminated early and wont get to the 2nd tests. I just find it odd they would test like that. Maybe they should have you on webcam

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 10:34:20 AM »
I'm going to do the testing sometime this week, anyone got any tips or websites that are good practice?

Offline ESO

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »
No real tips for testing, but when you get to the physical make sure you can touch your toes -sit and reach....I got through everything but that, and by not being able to touch toes or go past it was bye bye...try again next year...so get stretching  :-P

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »

How will your interview reults reflect any of the testing in Stage 1? Also even though they test you later in the process, if people can cheat it means the "honest" applicants maybe eliminated early and wont get to the 2nd tests. I just find it odd they would test like that. Maybe they should have you on webcam

I'm only assuming that as one of the online tests are all about how you will fit into the role and personality profile questions then some of the question at the interview stage are brought up again.