Author Topic: ARFF  (Read 64253 times)

Offline FF GAZZ

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: ARFF
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 01:17:46 PM »
I don't know about MFS but the online testing had a couple of short stories you had to read like Mike works for a clothing store and has sold 20 red shirts, 15 blue shirts, 10 yellow shirts and 5 greens shirts and the question would be something like out of the information above which would show greatest potential for future growth. This isn't a real question but was the best example I could think of off the top of my head, I thought they were a bit silly as they had nothing really fire related.

The personality profiling questions were good especially if you had previous CFS or SES experience as they asked questions like if you had a new crew member in your team and you were responding to a first aid emergency and they were feeling under confident in their skills yet they operated well under the situation how would you boost their confidence:
A) raise it in the truck on the way back to the station and congratulate them on how well they did?
B) Quietly say something when back at station to the individual on how well they did, Or
C) Mention it to your senior ranking officer they were feeling under confident on their skill however they operated to standard.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »
No real tips for testing, but when you get to the physical make sure you can touch your toes -sit and reach....I got through everything but that, and by not being able to touch toes or go past it was bye bye...try again next year...so get stretching  :-P

So I did the testing today and it was actually hard at some points. I'm not sure if I was a top scorer or not, does anyone know if it's a pass/fail score or if it's say the top 100 move on to the next stage?

As for the sit and reach I have been stretching heaps and can now comfortably touch my toes when in a seated position and I'm pretty sure that's all that's needed.

Monger

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »
No real tips for testing, but when you get to the physical make sure you can touch your toes -sit and reach....I got through everything but that, and by not being able to touch toes or go past it was bye bye...try again next year...so get stretching  :-P

So I did the testing today and it was actually hard at some points. I'm not sure if I was a top scorer or not, does anyone know if it's a pass/fail score or if it's say the top 100 move on to the next stage?

As for the sit and reach I have been stretching heaps and can now comfortably touch my toes when in a seated position and I'm pretty sure that's all that's needed.

I would guess its pass/fail. They couldnt reward high scores when the system is open to blatant cheating

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »

It's hard to tell from these sort of tests mate as they are designed to stress you and push your brain limits. You will have to pass a certain mark but they will also take the top what ever number they need through to the next test.
All the best

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »
One thing is don't get your hopes down, last year I did the testing and a week after you had to do it I was emailed sorry you were unsuccessful then two weeks later they called me up to book a phone interview, when I asked why I was back in the recruitment process they said the previous applicants were not what they were after.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 06:39:12 PM »
One thing is don't get your hopes down, last year I did the testing and a week after you had to do it I was emailed sorry you were unsuccessful then two weeks later they called me up to book a phone interview, when I asked why I was back in the recruitment process they said the previous applicants were not what they were after.

Ah ok, that seems a bit strange to do that, but good to know there is a possibility for a second chance if I don't make it. Thanks for that.

Monger

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »

Ah ok, that seems a bit strange to do that, but good to know there is a possibility for a second chance if I don't make it. Thanks for that.

Well did you make the cut??

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »

Well did you make the cut??

I did not. However it's my first time applying for anything and I am only 20 so I have many more years to keep at it.

Monger

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 06:25:06 AM »
I doubt there was many positions for Adelaide. Probably on a couple

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »
How has everyone gone so far with those that applied?

Offline RJ

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 11:40:37 AM »
I had the phone interview this week; agree with an earlier comment that some of the questions relate back to the online testing.

One aspect of the PAT I have no way of training for is the hose drag and hold.  Could anyone offer some tips on the best way to approach this, I have heard it can be a bit tricky.

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 06:15:43 PM »
If you haven't already look on YouTube ( ARFF physical aptitude test ) as it shows the process.  Work on your legs and core and if you are looking for an exercise try dragging a tyre with a rope and put extra weight on if you like.

Offline RJ

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 09:22:32 AM »
Thanks, will give that a go  :-)

Offline ESO

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
I completed this test last year at Darwin...didn't pass the sit and reach, but got through all the other activities with out a problem, don't get worked up over the hose drag and hold...it's only a 50mm hose, don't over complicate the matter or stress about it...on the day you'll get so pumped on adrenaline it will be over before you know it...Good luck

flyonthewall

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »
I completed this test last year at Darwin...didn't pass the sit and reach, but got through all the other activities with out a problem, don't get worked up over the hose drag and hold...it's only a 50mm hose, don't over complicate the matter or stress about it...on the day you'll get so pumped on adrenaline it will be over before you know it...Good luck

How does the sit and reach test work?.... I've never heard of it!

Offline ESO

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »
Sit on the floor, they place a box at your feet, and you need to move the slide rule as far as you can past your feet, so if people think they can touch their toes...you need to go further....apparently good flexibility will prevent back injuries in the job of ARFF :-o

flyonthewall

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
Sit on the floor, they place a box at your feet, and you need to move the slide rule as far as you can past your feet, so if people think they can touch their toes...you need to go further....apparently good flexibility will prevent back injuries in the job of ARFF :-o

Thanks for the explanation  :-)

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »
Besides the swim test has anyone been able to find out if AirServices have any further swimming testing or training?

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2014, 12:08:50 PM »
For all those that applied how did you go? Did anyone get in?

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »
So  who applied for the latest round of ARFF?

Offline peter007

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2014, 12:54:48 AM »
are there any ARFF fire-fighters that could tell me what interview questions get asked during the interview?