Author Topic: Sturt Group tanker fundraising  (Read 16627 times)

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Sturt Group tanker fundraising
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »
20:16:51   15-03-14   THANKS TO ALL THOSE THAT HELPED TODAY WITH THE COLLECTION WE RAISED $42,000. A FANTASTIC EFFORT. GRP OFFICER - CFS Cherry Gardens Info

$42,000!!!! Typo?

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »
probably not, sturt group have always made quite a bit of money from collections in there area on election day. few wealthy suburbs up that way.

pumprescue

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 03:42:02 PM »
They have been pushing the scare tactics with the "need" for a second tanker or the world will end.

Offline CFS_fire32

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:12:18 PM »
They have been pushing the scare tactics with the "need" for a second tanker or the world will end.

What is their justification for a second BWC?

misterteddy

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:55:49 PM »

What is their justification for a second BWC?

seriously? Have you ever driven through the Adelaide Hills?

How about 2-3,000 homes with poor or no water supply (lose the power....lose the reticulated water supply)..... all the while remembering that the Standards of Fire Cover is a budget constrained document, not a "we need this to combat fires in our area" document.

Really?....we're happy to bag a Group who gets off their arse and looks for better answers rather than just bending over and taking what morsels the CFS offers?...

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 07:22:36 AM »
Not sure why people bag brigades and groups that are proactive. This is a win win for everyone, CFS gets BWC for doing nothing,group gets a second tanker, public get better protection. Have a good look at yourself!

Offline CFS_fire32

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:32:16 PM »
Wow... ask a simple question out of genuine interest and for the intent of creating genuine discussion and people jump down your throat and assume you must be having a dig at fellow Volunteers! Hmmm...

Quite the opposite thank you. I take my hat off to the Volunteers for going above and beyond in order to provide a better service to their Community.

I do not live in the Adelaide Hills, so I am not familiar with the quality or reliability of mains water and/or power supply in that area. All I had heard was that Sturt Group wanted a second BWC to provide coverage for the times when their existing BWC was committed to strike teams, hence my question. I assume they have already tried through the official channels of SFEC review?

At the risk of further ridicule...
1) What are they aiming for in terms of build? Tank capacity? PTO or independent pump?
2) How much is it expected to cost?
3) Where are they planning to house it?
4) Is there an agreement with CFS whereby they have endorsed the purchase of a self funded appliance i.e. have CFS agreed to pay for ongoing operational expenses such as maintenance, tyres, rego, fuel?
5) Will Sturt Group SFEC be updated to reflect the second BWC? If not, then what (apart from public/Volunteer backlash) stops CFS from not replacing Belair BWC when the time comes?

Again, just asking questions out of genuine interest, no criticism intended.

pumprescue

Re: Sturt Group tanker fundraising
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »
First of all, Sturt group have a reputation for doing whatever they like (see the Ex RFS truck that Cherry had)

Secondly, whilst thats lovely that you get a second BWC, why should CFS fund anything, if they deem it above SFEC then they are not obliged to fund it.

This is the thing that some groups don't think about, they go and fundraise to buy something above SFEC then crack the sads when no one will fund the running of it. It impacts the CFS budget etc etc. Someone misses out along the line. For example, in that district there is Sturt Group BWC, Lofty group BWC, Burnside BWC, Mawson BWC. Whilst I understand they want the luxury of having 2 tankers, I don't think it should be forced upon CFS to fund the upkeep etc once they have purchased it.

Can anyone involved advise what the story is, is this CFS sanctioned and will they pay the upkeep (which sets a precedence) and does it have to comply with the CFS tender ?

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
I think it good that some groups and brigades lead the way eg Burnside,Stirling, Bridgewater and Sturt Group.
Lets have a quick history lesson (things that they have done outside of the standard CFS equipment)
PTO pumps, with 90m High pressure lines (I wish everyone could have a Burnside pumper)
PPV fans
Red and blue lights (no said the region 1 commander, now we all have them)
What pagers!!
2 piece uniforms
Hooligan Tools
FRAG members
OP shop (great idea)
Extra group vehicles
Boots, helmets.
But if you want to stay with the basic stuff that is ok, just don't ask for all the good toys.When they become standard.

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

Paid group officer (was also the bushfire prevention officer)

TheAndyF28

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
FFS, I think its a good Idea. Adelaide Hills need better protection in case something like the Eden Valley Fire or something even worse similar to the Bangor Fire happens. Stop jumping down peoples throats aswel everyone cause the CFS in the Hills and everywhere in SA do a f***ing job.