Author Topic: Foam for the CFS  (Read 10918 times)

Offline BundyBear

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Foam for the CFS
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:59:14 AM »
I heard a rumour and it may only be that but I was told CFS will only now provide Class A BFFF foam now and that is to be used on Class A and Class B fires. If bridages wish to store and stow Class B AFFF foam it is at the cost to the Group or Bridage. Can someone with their finger on the pulse please clarify the situation?

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
Re: Foam for the CFS
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
I would say just the rumour mill at work again. In Nuriootpa there is over a million litres of ethonal stored so CFS can't just stop supplying it. Some B class foam was recalled recently as it was found to have an increased cancer risk from it but I'm not aware of it not being supplied anymore.

Offline BundyBear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 09:44:10 AM »
I would say just the rumour mill at work again. In Nuriootpa there is over a million litres of ethonal stored so CFS can't just stop supplying it. Some B class foam was recalled recently as it was found to have an increased cancer risk from it but I'm not aware of it not being supplied anymore.

Cheers but I'm sure that much ethanol stored would be a specific risk and since Ethanol is an alcohol-polar solvent it would break down AFFF and you would have to be using an AR-AFFF. Those foams are usually proportioned at 3% for hydrocarbons and 6% for polar solvents.

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »
Spoken with a friend who is a ROPO and I can confirm nothing is changing with B class foam. Only certain stuff should be handed in as per my comment above.

anything