Author Topic: Barker Rescue stepdown???  (Read 45052 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Barker Rescue stepdown???
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »
As the Adelaide metropolitan area expands, things change.
Salisbury and Seaford are CFS stations that have changed.
Personally, I think Dalkeith & Mt Barker will change in a few years as well.
On the other side, MFS retained at Peterborough, Wallaroo, etc could change as well.
my personal opinion only
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline fire8029

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »
As the Adelaide metropolitan area expands, things change.
Salisbury and Seaford are CFS stations that have changed.
Personally, I think Dalkeith & Mt Barker will change in a few years as well.
On the other side, MFS retained at Peterborough, Wallaroo, etc could change as well.
my personal opinion only

What changes do you think?

pumprescue

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »
Its ok we will all be one big happy family soon

Offline fire8029

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 02:28:38 PM »
You think it will happen? I think it may work and may be a good idea but what is the realistic approach of changing it all, its a big step.

pumprescue

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 03:47:21 PM »
Save money and make changing things easier, for example, Kapunda, all 3 services in one town, is it really warranted no, but can't be changed easier as 3 different services are involved. Mount Barker for example, needs to change to MFS but is hard to do as CFS have to agree to hang it over. One service means you just do it.

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »
It won't happen over night but yes places like Mount Barker and Nurioopta where a fully time crew would be beneficial backed up by volunteers for the large incidents that require numbers on the ground e.g. Bushfires, floods, earthquakes, large structure or hazmat incidents. People who say volunteers and career crews together under one roof doesn't work may need an ego check, it does work if everyone works as a team and if the extras like training, equipment, admin are looked after by the career crews but yet career crews are their training and trying to interact with the volunteers the one service system works. 

Offline CFS_fire32

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 09:06:25 PM »
Its ok we will all be one big happy family soon

Consolidation of CFS and SES to a single Volunteer Fire & Rescue Service makes a lot of sense (IMO). More difficult when you try to merge un-paid and paid services into one, but not impossible.

Viability of some country retained MFS stations and some metro SES Units could be questioned.

Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it... similar rumours have been floating around for many years and nothings ever come of them.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:10:01 PM by CFS_fire32 »

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 04:12:51 PM »
Isn't the CFSVA on a current roadshow around the state presenting what possible ideas are being put forward to combine the emergency services??

Offline BundyBear

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 12:44:14 AM »
The whole fire and rescue model in South Australia is broken. You have the UFU, CFSVA and individual CFS groups and brigades all pushing their own agenda's mixed in with the overriding governance from management of the CFS, MFS and SAFECOM.

Wouldn't it be a perfect world where the red and white appliance boundary was dissolved and resources were utilised more efficiently without red trucks passing white sitting in stations and vice versa.

Response statistics provided in Annual Reports show paid stations have been built servicing areas that go to less incidents than some of their neighbouring volunteer brigades as well as retained brigades going to less incidents than volunteer brigades. Why not have a model that can be changed to provide the best level of service to the community that is based on sound strategic, tactical and budgetary foundations for the community of South Australia. In a perfect world every station would be paid, but would that be economically viable, we all know the answer!

For example the station is volunteer the level of response gets to a point were it is higher then you make it retained to provide those fire fighters with remuneration for their services and when it gets to a point where it becomes too onerous then it becomes paid. That way you could have this mix across the whole state even in the ever increasing urban sprawl. Maybe even one service then we could look at utilising services better in management, training, engineering, fire safety (educational programs) and other services provided to the public instead of duplicating services. Also look at the way fire stations are constructed and costed so we are not rebuilding stations or relocating so often in the suburbs with high price tags!

Probably never happen in my life time and just my thoughts!

pumprescue

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 12:41:22 PM »
Watch this space, sooner than you think

Offline Add a length

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »
This article was published in this weeks Hills Courier newspaper, thought you might find it interesting.

anything