Author Topic: Recruitment 2016  (Read 189962 times)

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment 2016
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2016, 07:24:45 PM »
Yeah it seems 80224,s mate got an email confirming he was unsuccessful and there was another alternate email that went out telling someone they were in the "suitability pool". Appears the majority of us are being kept in the dark though. Very frustrating

"The MFS have now invited applicants forward to contest the first Physical Aptitude Test (PAT1  Shuttle Run) over the course of next week."

It does seem weird that it states the 'first' physical attitude test.

I would say Pat 2 is the second.

Monger

« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2016, 07:25:18 PM »
By first test they prob mean pat1 and second physical test would be pat2.
At a guess I think if too many fail pat1 they will then call from the eligibility pool. They don't like to have interview too many applicants

Offline gusto1

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2016, 07:43:47 PM »
I too received the email further information will be forthcoming.
Whole process seems crazy they should be much clearer!!

Offline Pugnificent

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2016, 06:51:59 AM »
Can someone please confirm my understanding of the situation so far:

A) 2 different emails were sent yesterday - 1) A rejection letter and 2)  'you are not attending next week's PAT1 but information is forthcoming' . Was there another type of email - suitability pool letter ?   and

B) Only 180ish have been invited  to PAT 1 over Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. Is anyone participating in the PAT1 on the Thursday and Friday of next week?

Thanks

Offline Gpats

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2016, 07:34:07 AM »
I can't confirm how many have been invited to take part in the PAT1 but it appears there were at least 2 different emails sent out yesterday, probably 3. There was a rejection one, the "more information coming" one and there was mention from someone about one saying they had been placed in a suitability pool.

Offline Left foot snap

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2016, 07:56:41 AM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if people haven't been invited to do the PAT 1 as yet it would appear unlikely it will happen for you this intake. 200-300 have been notified of their PAT 1 times and an interview pool will be drawn from this. There's only 18 each drill squad which runs for 14 weeks and historically they've only ever taken 4 squads from an intake. Even if you've not been given a direct no, I'd say your chances are slim given the volume of highly suitable applicants who have already progressed.

phoenix

« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2016, 09:23:17 AM »
Left foot snap has given a sound perspective on it. If you didn't get a straight no - keep an eye on your emails, but don't get your hopes up too much.

Offline 80224

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2016, 08:23:01 AM »
200-300 have been notified of their PAT 1 times
Where are you getting this number from?

Offline Left foot snap

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2016, 09:12:38 AM »
My mail is 150 to do the PAT1 who will then be interviewed and the remainder who do the PAT 1 will sit in a pool for consideration if a large number of people bomb out on the interview or fail the PAT 2. I can't guarantee this is correct or exact but I imagine it would be around the mark. The reason the profiling was first was to cut down on beep testing a massive number of people. And a lot of weight is given to the profiling.

Monger

« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2016, 09:16:01 AM »
200-300 have been notified of their PAT 1 times
Where are you getting this number from?

Previous years they have given keep fit letters after personality profiling. This generally means you have been deemed suitable but not highly suitable. I know last time several hundred got keep fit letters and were never called upon. But they could do it differently.
The only way to find out is to call them

Offline Jack23

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »
So the people who got the email saying more info will be forthcoming asap, where do they fit into the picture? Are they behind the ones doing pat1 but in front of the keep fit suitability pool? Or are they ranked after the ones in the keep fit pool? Just seems if they were ranked after the keep fit group then they would have just got a straight no?

Offline Alpha

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »
Is there a very obvious elephant in the room here?  SAMFS got huge numbers apply this year.....did they just take the first 150 - 200 who they found suitable in the profiling to PAT1 testing?....this would explain why so many are in limbo!  The bad news is that very few will fail PAT1 so if you're not through I really doubt you're about to get a positive e-mail.  Sorry but that's what I'm reading into the e-mail.

Offline Left foot snap

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2016, 01:23:18 PM »
I don't think they've necessarily taken the "first" 150 but the most "highly suitable" applicants to the PAT 1 testing. Of the group that's gone through to the PAT1 there is likely an additional ranking system again from the profiling. Therefore not all those who do the PAT 1 will necessarily get interviewed. It's entirely a number/ranking game after the profiling takes place. Like most employment processes everyone's results are considered equally but not everyone's results are highly suitable. Unfortunately, wanting the career desperately doesn't always make you the best person for the position

By the sounds of it the MFS have been fairly transparent in the communication. You recieve an email if you progress, an email if you are set loose and an email to keep fit if a high percentage of people fail subsequent testing. It seems more like people are not willing to accept the outcome than being kept in limbo.

Offline 80224

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »
I've confirmed the following with HR on the phone.  There are basically four groups - in the order of preference they are:

The group of people who have been invited to do PAT1 - they believe that the number of people invited so far will be sufficient to fill the number of firefighter positions available.

Furthermore, there is a very small group of people who have been advised that they are suitable, and to keep fit - as they may be called in case a high number of people from the first group fail PAT1.

The third group is where people like myself are - this is the email advising that we are not required to contest PAT1 and that further information is forthcoming.  Basically, it is very unlikely, but still possible to be called up (e.g. new positions open up).

Then there is also the fourth group - these are all the people who were advised that they "have not reached a satisfactory result" in the psych & abilities assessment.

The person I spoke to repeated several times that the process is extremely complex and that MFS are still crunching through the relevant data on applicants in the first 3 groups.

beater

« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2016, 04:12:25 PM »
Long time listener, first time caller.
I too am in group 3 and sorry to burst your bubble but we have absolutely no hope what so ever. Its basic maths. If they are taking over 200 to the pat1 plus have more in "group 2" we would need about 150 to fail the beep test. Aint gonna happen.
Start preparing for next time. There is lots of online psych testin g help available

Offline Sammy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2016, 07:33:59 AM »
My guess is, abilities assessment is pass/fail. Then onto personality profile, top 150-200 suited get invited to the beep test, next 50-100 receive the keep fit email. The rest that pass the abilities test but are not in the top 300 profiles receive the further information email. I'm in the "further information" range.

Offline Archery

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2016, 09:55:06 AM »
Also in the 'further information' group. There should be a retained intake soon though so fingers crossed for that

beater

« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2016, 10:15:45 AM »
For retained positions or for Full time positions for retained firefighters?

Offline Archery

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2016, 10:17:23 AM »
For retained fire fighters to apply for full time. Rumour is there might be an intake early next year.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »
For those that have now done the beep test, how did everyone in your group go?

I had 2 groups of 5 people running, and of the 10 total, 1 person failed.

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2016, 01:45:13 PM »
I passed mine and they were discussing if one in my group passed or failed but I left before they came to a conclusion. The firies on the court said she was close to failing but had made it but while in the room the HR bloke said he thought she failed but would discuss it with the others. I think they'll let her through.

Another friend passed today also.

Interviews are supposedly starting Monday so I wonder if those that have one have heard already or they aren't planning on giving much notice. Or they interviews will be delayed.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2016, 01:53:58 PM »
How did she almost fail?

Also how many people ran at the same time as you?

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »
She was running out of steam towards the end and was probably a good metre behind me for the last few shuttles. I not sure if she made it to the red line before the beep. Kinda sad as she still ran the distance.

There were four groups of six when I did it but one didn't show. The first group all made it and I was in the second so I'm not sure how the rest went.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2016, 02:13:51 PM »
I see. Yea, very unfortunate to miss out when you're that close to the end.

It does sound like most people are passing. And as for the interview times, I'd like to think we'd find out by the end of this week, but I guess we'll just keep checking our emails very very regularly.

Offline abcdefgh

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2016, 02:17:10 PM »
8am Tuesday had 30 out of 32 attend. 2 groups of 7, 2 groups of 8. 1st group I think 1 pulled out injured. 2nd group all passed. Unsure about remaining groups. I haven't received any notifications since.