Author Topic: Recruitment 2016  (Read 188515 times)

Offline Rider

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment 2016
« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2016, 11:15:34 AM »
For those applicants who got the interview pool letter,  when do you think they will likely interview the next group? And roughly how many?  I would assume another 50?

I have herd multiple rumours on the amount of squads they want to put through next year. I would assume the max is 4 but also herd an expected 3 squad intake.

For everyones sake let hope it's 4.

Out of interest have many applicants here on this forum made it to interview stage?

Offline Spark

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2016, 11:32:54 AM »
It makes the most sense to interview the entire pool and then fill the recruit courses, that way the top ranking get positions rather than just the best 18 out of the 50 or so interviewed. I don't think more interviews will be until the new year but I really have no idea.

Does anyone know how the cab ranking system works?

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »
They wont know exactly how many courses they're going to run as they operate on an as per needs basis. The more that leave they more courses will be run.

I think they'll interview the 50 now, some will fill the first squad, some will just miss out and probably go to the next squad and some may completely bomb out.

Christmas is four weeks away then is the January slow times so I wouldn't be expecting anything until at least Feb/Mar next year.

Of course this is only my theory. 

Offline Left foot snap

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2016, 12:14:19 PM »
Unless someone bombs out of the interview process completely you all applicants would be cab ranked. Performance in the personality profiling also contributes to your ranking.

I've heard they are anticipating two  squads this financial year and at least one in the first half on the next financial year.

Most shifts at the moment are on recall and doing overtime as there are not enough relievers available so you'd imagine three squads is a possibility.

Roscoe

« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2016, 04:46:28 PM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:58:53 PM by Roscoe »

Offline 80224

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2016, 07:31:34 AM »
Far from whinging and doing nothing about it, I am trying to do something that enables myself and others to understand what they have to do in order to progress further in the career they want to pursue. Doing nothing means you might as well not bother applying in the future, because the process won't have changed and neither will you. The result will be the same.

So help me understand this... you attended the psych & abilities assessment, stayed in the room when they asked anyone who doesn't agree with the terms & conditions to leave the room now, signed those same terms agreeing that you will not have access to your results and yet here you are... thinking you are entitled to something. 

Why is it so hard to believe and understand that the assessment methodology used by SAFESELECT might contain proprietary information which, if made public, could result in a financial loss to the company, OR an unfair advantage to yourself should you undertake the test again.

Your badgering might have the opposite effect to what you're hoping to achieve.... if anything you will force them to strengthen their legal clauses and processes to ensure that no amount of emails, FOI applications etc. can ever result in anyone gaining access to their results.

Let it go man.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 23, 2016, 06:12:47 AM »
For those doing the interview, are all 50 people ranked from 1 - 50 no matter what? Even if some people interview awfully, will they still remain in the top 50 or will they get rejected?

And for those that have done the interview this week, how'd you go? Any indication of when your PAT 2 will be?

Offline Pac

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 23, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »
Surly they won't remain in the top 50... a bit unfair to the rest of the people in the 'interview pool'/ what's the point in having the interview pool.That's why I asked before if the interview is a pass/fail (you have to get a certain score to proceed to the PAT2).

In 2011 they took 170 people to the interview stage, 2014 they took 70 and who knows this time. I find it interesting that they think they can select the best candidates from only interviewing 50 people. Some one sitting '70' in the interview pool could easily interview well and have more experiences than   1-50... them's the breaks!

Offline Left foot snap

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 23, 2016, 07:32:26 AM »
It would be rare that a high volume of people would crash and burn in the interview process but last intake I'm told a very small number of people were notified they were not progressing from the interview stage. The cab ranking is a combination of the profiling, interview, CV and references. Last time they had 40 do the PAT 2 which allowed for 2 squads plus change if people failed it or the medical.

Monger

« Reply #209 on: November 23, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »
Perhaps every one will get a score from interview and as more are interviewed they may leap over others already in the rank??

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 23, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »
Perhaps every one will get a score from interview and as more are interviewed they may leap over others already in the rank??

That would mean that they wouldn't make any employment offers before interviewing more people from the pool wouldn't it?

I have just assumed that at least 36 of those 50 are going to get jobs. I'm one of those in the interview pool so I've got my fingers crossed that we all get the call up to come in for an interview.

Offline Left foot snap

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 23, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
That's definitly a possibility. I guess it depends on how much value is placed on the personality profiling. You would think it is likely that if the first group interviewed are of a high quality after the interview they will make up the first squad and the second (if there is one) and any left over may be top of the pile for a third squad (if there is one) unless the second group interviewed are stronger candidates.

Offline Chipsngravy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2016, 06:59:33 PM »
Oh he was a firefighter, hire him on the spot....
There is applicants from equally transferable professions who miss out each time from police officers, military personnel, the list goes on.  I have passed one of the toughest selection courses in the ADF and didn't get thru the SAMFS on two occasions. Suitable but not suitable enough. I just get on with life.
All your whinging and whining and trying to justify to yourself how hard done by you are is probably the exact reason you can't get thru.
Anyway. Good luck next application process. I might see you there.

I don't expect to be hired on the spot. Not at all. But as an ex solider, imagine if you moved to another country and applied for the exact same role. You'd expect to be considered over a civilian with no military experience wouldn't you? Would you be baffled if you weren't? Would you be interested in finding out why?

Far from whinging and doing nothing about it, I am trying to do something that enables myself and others to understand what they have to do in order to progress further in the career they want to pursue. Doing nothing means you might as well not bother applying in the future, because the process won't have changed and neither will you. The result will be the same.
roscoe you're a peanut

Offline abcdefgh

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »
Has anyone heard how long interviews are going on for and whether anyone has had a PAT 2 call up?

Offline Left foot snap

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 28, 2016, 11:40:23 AM »
Interviews were scheduled for Monday-Friday of last week. Collating  the results and forming the cab rank from there before notifying successful applicants??

Offline RBMK2000

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
Received an email invitation to contest PAT 2 next week. Scattered around this in space and time are a few provided testing appointments - hearing, respiratory and what I assume is a general medical.  Excited but also nervous and definitely feeling like I have been very lucky.

The timeframe is really short on this, which makes negotiating four appointments around work kind of tricky!

Offline bull

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
Mate, well done. You are so close. Pat 2 invites are about as close to a job offer as you can get. Watch the vid and see if you can replicate some off the exercises. Looks like you don't have a lot of prep time though. Don't drop anything and I hope you like stairs and being wrapped in plastic

beater

« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2016, 05:09:48 PM »
When did emails come out?

Offline Left foot snap

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2016, 06:08:40 PM »
Went out early  this afternoon to those who have been successful at progressing to PAT2.

Offline pieces

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 29, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »
Went out early  this afternoon to those who have been successful at progressing to PAT2.

Do you know how many of the 50 that were interviewed were successful and invited to PAT 2?

beater

« Reply #220 on: November 29, 2016, 06:27:49 PM »
Enough for 1 squad and a couple of spares to allow for fails?

Offline abcdefgh

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 29, 2016, 06:45:39 PM »
Well done mate on progression to PAT2. One question: Do you know if your references were contacted or will that be later?

Received an email invitation to contest PAT 2 next week. Scattered around this in space and time are a few provided testing appointments - hearing, respiratory and what I assume is a general medical.  Excited but also nervous and definitely feeling like I have been very lucky.

The timeframe is really short on this, which makes negotiating four appointments around work kind of tricky!

beater

« Reply #222 on: November 30, 2016, 02:48:58 AM »
I am starting to agree with Roscoe about this whole recruitment process. Mate i play cricket with is in Mfs and told me about the make up of the interview panels. How can there be any consistency with so many different panels and some made up entirely of uniformed firefighters and some a HR person and a firefighter??

Offline Left foot snap

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 30, 2016, 08:14:32 AM »
I don't have a huge issue if that's how the panels have been made up. One member of the panel (HR REP) act  as a scribe and notes the applicants responses while the other asks the questions and asks for further clarification if needed.

This is not an uncommon practice where there are multiple interview panels. The chair of each panel then meet, review responses and rank applicants accordingly. It  is the responsibility of the applicant to be prepared and provide responses that clearly outline their suitability for the role so when all panes meet they can can accurately rank people.

Plenty of people sit on interview panels for positions they have not held themselves.

beater

« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2016, 12:33:37 PM »
So have those who have been interviewed but not made it to the pat2 been notified of where they stand in the overall picture?