Author Topic: flooding  (Read 7656 times)

rescue5271

flooding
« on: November 10, 2005, 03:00:57 PM »
well done to all CFS-SES-MFS who have done a great job over the past two or so days with all the flooding that is going on around the state. I had my bag and camera pack reday to go but we did not get a page. Nice to see and hear that all worked well as part of a team and that some members who have only done some courses in AIIMS/IMT got a good working out and did a good job.....See we can all work as a team and it does not matter if its white/red truck does it..

WELL DONE TO ALL.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: flooding
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 10:01:08 AM »
ridiculous the way that some strike teams went and others didnt!!!!
like 4 hours away versus 1... oh well, i miss out too blinky.

shame the way media seem to be broadcasting that CFS/SES are goign home, but MFS are staying to save the day.... dont seem to care or realise that CFS SES crews have real jobs and need to support there families, for MFS thats what they are getting paid to do

Wagon 1

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 02:36:57 PM »
Its actually very smart to not send all resources from the immediate area, we still were not out of the woods in the hills and down the southern suburbs, so if something else happened it meant we still had resources available. I was speaking to my Group D/O and he said he would be reluctant to send crews if asked due to the amount of groups around us going, but we were never asked which meant someone was thinking!!

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 03:23:30 PM »
hmmm disagree^^

and not becasue i particularly wanted to go.. ( i can think of better things to do than walk around in slush/water/sewerage) just from the perspective that closer resources were available... without completely diminishing group resources...

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »
I agree with your comment David, If they had used all the local resourses then who would cover the area if there was another job. Someone must have been thinking to do that.

Also whats the deal with on the radio on Wednesday arvo saying that SES did all the work of sand bagging and saving all these homes, CFS didnt even get a mention really. I was there most of Wednesday filling sand bags and even know it was a scheiße job to do, i think that we did the most important work cause without us ppl filling the sand bags who would have done it. So a big well done to all those who filled sand bags all day cause i think that we all did a great job.
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 06:55:18 PM »
SES have seemed to have pulled the pin out at Virginia, there wasnt one to be seen today.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 07:42:28 PM »
yeah extremely strange...

dont seem to be assisting/participating in any salvage or recovery ops... even though they are the "combatant authority" (if ya like) for flooding and storm damage...

:?

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 08:04:09 PM »
MMMMMMMM But donnt cfs do ses media???? I did hear ragless talking from the ses?? Also i did hear that a cfs member broke his leg??? Get well soon stoney,.....

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 10:24:09 PM »
Due to the limited SES media resources and the size and duration of the incident the CFS Public Affairs team were assisting with all media inquiries, however because the SES are now the lead agency for Storm and Flood (Since the new Emergency Management ACT 2005 become official) we had to speak as though we were part of the SES.

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 11:28:52 PM »
ridiculous the way that some strike teams went and others didnt!!!!
like 4 hours away versus 1... oh well, i miss out too blinky.

shame the way media seem to be broadcasting that CFS/SES are goign home, but MFS are staying to save the day.... dont seem to care or realise that CFS SES crews have real jobs and need to support there families, for MFS thats what they are getting paid to do

I disagree... I think the method of sending every second or third group inline is usually a pretty safe method... Fair enough, resources might come from an hour further (But with that much damage etc. it wouldn't matter if they were 5 hours further)...  Like some one said, what if their was an RCR in the area, and no one could go as they were all tasked at the flooding and had 90% of their stowage in use.....?

I think it is good to leave some resources available.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 06:47:32 AM »
i stand corrected, heard on the scanner that the ses are sending back an 'officer' and a few crews..

does anyone think we should really still be there anyway? i mean, the emergency is gone, so should vollunteer emergency services still be comitted? should any emergency services still be comitted?

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 07:01:30 AM »
Tough one that, I know part of the problem is many landholders have their own levy banks which are now keeping water contained in the properties! So maybe from the point of public safety the water is being pumped out by CFS/MFS and SES.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 07:42:22 AM »
mmm... on the other hand though firefrog, belair and burnside were sitting in adelaide stn for 10hours(ish) yesterday due to mfs commitment at virginia (and other jobs happening... godd one for belair though, they ended up running a fixed alarm with christies and st marys that was a small electrical fire in air conditioning... lol.

edit: whoop, what i meant by that was that they are obviously down enough people (smaller amount of resources for public safety) that they are having to call in CFS for pumps...

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 07:51:36 AM »
Yes - I thought it strange that Burnside, Belair, Athelstone and TTG where all COQ to MFS stations(I think TTG got stopped in the end.) But then I heard SES had requested high volume pump support from MFS hence why MFS were in virginia. Not suprising seeing as SES are the combatants.

MFS also had people and or trucks going to Baxter so things may have been a bit stretched for a while. :-D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 10:27:31 AM by Firefrog »

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 08:49:45 AM »
Pump trailers like the one Kalangadoo brigade has would've saved emergency service personnel alot of time in early stages of the floods as the water could have been easily pumped out of flooded homes after sandbags were put in place       

It's a pity that SOC didn't ask for CFS personnel from South East Brigades to respond and help out with sand bagging as i would've put my hand up straight away to help out

After all SOC paged SES personnel from the South East on Saturday as i was listening to Wattle Range SES respond to this callout on my scanner because they were at the Millicent show when paged
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 08:58:43 AM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 09:38:31 AM »
mm yeh, but it was SES job robert they had them from everywhere... i think they also had a fair few trailer pumps out as well, not sure though...

baxter was a morning thing though... belair and burnside were there until around 1900ish...

looks like eden hills and happy valley are sitting in 20 today.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2005, 10:48:06 AM »
There is very interesting discussion re the operational aspects of the flooding at the SACFS group on yahoo groups.

Was that a Gilbert Group vehicle in trouble in the Advertiser picture?
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2005, 11:50:52 AM »
Can someone post a link to the yahoo group? i am interested in having a look, but cant find it no matter what i try to search in yahoo groups.... ;)

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2005, 12:32:58 PM »
better still invite them over to discuss it here :wink:

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2005, 02:03:11 PM »
Yes, be good if you invite them here for a chat :-)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SACFS/
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2005, 09:44:01 PM »
On the subject of COQ's, I'd like to point out that it doesn't take a very big job to stretch MFS resources and need to call in the CFS... The EMA agreement is supposed to give the Mets freedom to distribute appliances as they wish, without worrying about leaving areas uncovered...

anything