Author Topic: SAMFS Recruitment 2018  (Read 175949 times)

Offline FF GAZZ

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: SAMFS Recruitment 2018
« Reply #450 on: May 16, 2019, 07:48:40 PM »
It seems strange they are running interviews with what appears to be so little participants.

It appears the “keep fit” pool has been slashed by half or by two-thirds.

Offline canine

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 16, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »
And of they are reopening applications soon.... And I hear there is excess firefighters everywhere and another squad starting Monday

Offline Optimistic

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 16, 2019, 08:38:43 PM »
This is complete speculation but my theory is the ones going for interviews are what was left from the first round of intakes.

Example. 2x squads 24 = 48. failure rate say 10% = 5. 48+5= 53 round up to 60 applicants tested.

After 48 recruits taken the left over applicants will go to interviews, plus the testing of the keep fit pool and the ones who have already passed interviews but not proceeded yet.

Purely by statistics the 'keep fit' who received a no thank you letter will have missed out because of numbers available for this year and historical failure rate of the process.

So by the time the new recruitment drive has been given results, at the end of the year, 2 more squads will have been selected from the remaining.

SPECULATION ONLY, im just try to be optimistic for my own situation   :-D

Offline CFS_fire32

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 20, 2019, 04:18:11 PM »
It appears the “keep fit” pool has been slashed by half or by two-thirds.

Half or two-thirds of how many though?

They said at the recruitment seminar that unlike previous intakes, if you make it to a particular stage of the process, you won't just be left hanging indefinitely and then told at the end bad luck, try again next time. Rather you will be given an opportunity to progress to the next stage. So in my opinion, being in the "keep fit" pool means you fit the required profile and therefore have made it to Stage 1 of the process. I am working on the assumption that this means you will be called (at some stage) to progress to PAT 1 and then to interview. This would make sense as it requires a significant amount of time, effort and money every time they start a new recruitment process from scratch. Why would you start all over again when you've still got people who fit the profile that haven't been interviewed yet (yes, I know they have done this in previous intakes).

Offline canine

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 21, 2019, 11:05:35 AM »
Many from the keep fit pool have received better luck next time letters so your assumption is incorrect. Unfortunately it would be too costly and time consuming to interview 4-500 or more applicants.

Offline CFS_fire32

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 21, 2019, 11:11:22 PM »
Many from the keep fit pool have received better luck next time letters so your assumption is incorrect. Unfortunately it would be too costly and time consuming to interview 4-500 or more applicants.

I was talking about those left after the recent cull of the "keep fit" pool.

Offline Stilltrying

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 24, 2019, 11:43:29 AM »
Apparently there is a squad in at the moment and it's frustrating for all of us who are in the keep fit pool.
I've heard that they will be running another squad prior to the end of the year and was wondering if anyone has news on whether the candidates have already completed their pat 1 or will they be using people from the keep fit pool and getting them to do their run.

Offline Gecko

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 29, 2019, 07:57:15 PM »
I too got an email saying my application will not be progressed, they specifically state this result remains valid for 2 years and will expire in July 2020 at which time I can reapply again.

So even if they do reopen applications this year those of us receiving this email are ineligible to reapply.

Hi mate. This is my first forum so apologies for any mistakes. My email said as a consequence of my interview result, I won’t be progressing. Results remain on file for two years and am not required to submit an application in this time. I 99% read this the same as you but have heard of people being ramped in the past and have the smallest hope that I could be looked at again, or that “not required” means that I could reapply. Does yours say the same? Or does it actually say your aren’t allowed to?

Offline Optimistic

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 29, 2019, 10:51:53 PM »
The wording is a bit broad. When did you get your email?

Offline Gecko

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 29, 2019, 11:08:20 PM »
January third

Offline Gpats

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 30, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »
I too got an email saying my application will not be progressed, they specifically state this result remains valid for 2 years and will expire in July 2020 at which time I can reapply again.

So even if they do reopen applications this year those of us receiving this email are ineligible to reapply.

Hi mate. This is my first forum so apologies for any mistakes. My email said as a consequence of my interview result, I won’t be progressing. Results remain on file for two years and am not required to submit an application in this time. I 99% read this the same as you but have heard of people being ramped in the past and have the smallest hope that I could be looked at again, or that “not required” means that I could reapply. Does yours say the same? Or does it actually say your aren’t allowed to?

My email may have been slightly different to yours, I never got up to the interview stage and was still in the keep fit pool after the personality profiling and abilities assessment. The email I got did specifically state "Your application lifecycle expires in July 2020, during which time you are ineligible to reapply".
It's not going to hurt to keep your eyes peeled on both this forum and the SAMFS website but after going through several recruitment processes in the past I really wouldn't get your hopes up. It sounds as though they still have a lot of people at different stages of the recruitment process to call upon and the MFS website indicates they will be taking in new applications later in the year which will expand the competition even further.
The good news is that from everything I've heard they will be taking on squads fairly regularly over the next couple of years, so as long as you don't mind a bit of waiting there will be other opportunities.

Offline James8441

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 06, 2019, 04:36:15 PM »
Hi all
Anyone have any idea as to how many still left in the interview stage? I had my interview this week. I heard that there may be a squad starting in September from this current interview batch, anyone know any different?
Cheers

Offline Ball222

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 14, 2019, 10:24:23 PM »
Hi all
Anyone have any idea as to how many still left in the interview stage? I had my interview this week. I heard that there may be a squad starting in September from this current interview batch, anyone know any different?
Cheers

Hi all, first post on this forum. Yes I've also heard there is a squad starting Sept, possible PAT2 by end of June?? Did you hear back about your interview James8441?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:03:50 PM by Ball222 »

Offline TE

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 15, 2019, 08:20:43 AM »
Hi guys,

I had an interview a couple weeks ago, I have the Pat2 this coming Friday with potential medicals the following week. I heard they interviewed 60, plus there’s a few leftover from the squad in currently. Be interesting to know how many got through to the Pat2. Potentially enough for 2 more squads?

Best of luck to everyone still in the mix!

Offline James8441

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 15, 2019, 01:52:34 PM »
Hey guys
Yep, made it through to PAT2 (which is in a couple of weeks), then have medicals booked in for the week after. Starting to get nervous now! Good luck to all still in the pool.

Offline Ball222

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 15, 2019, 07:22:53 PM »
Congratulations guys, well done on moving on to PAT2. Hope all goes well, you're close now - very exciting.

When did you find out you'd passed the interview?

Offline James8441

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 15, 2019, 09:58:37 PM »
Congratulations guys, well done on moving on to PAT2. Hope all goes well, you're close now - very exciting.

When did you find out you'd passed the interview?

Found out last Thursday afternoon, fair bit earlier than I’d expected so was a big surprise.

Offline FF GAZZ

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 17, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »
For those left on the “keep fit” list, has anyone contacted HR to try and get any information from them as to what’s going on with the applications, especially since it looks they are recruiting again soon?

Offline CFS_fire32

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 17, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »
For those left on the “keep fit” list, has anyone contacted HR to try and get any information from them as to what’s going on with the applications, especially since it looks they are recruiting again soon?

No - just playing the waiting game. Be good to know how many others are still in the "keep fit" pool.

Offline Ball222

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 19, 2019, 05:37:35 PM »

No - just playing the waiting game. Be good to know how many others are still in the "keep fit" pool.

When you say yours still in the keep fit pool, where abouts are you up to/waiting? Surely they wouldnt just keep people waiting indefinitely somewhere in the process, you'd get a call up at some stage? Or am I wrong in assuming this?

Offline CFS_fire32

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 19, 2019, 09:38:43 PM »
Completed the Profile/Personality testing, waiting in the "keep fit" pool to be called for PAT 1.

Offline Optimistic

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 22, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »
Im in the 'keep fit' too.

Im at the stage where I just want an email saying 'pat1' or no. Its hard on the whole family when it feels like your life is on hold for the last year.

Offline James8441

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 23, 2019, 08:46:18 AM »
Im in the 'keep fit' too.

Im at the stage where I just want an email saying 'pat1' or no. Its hard on the whole family when it feels like your life is on hold for the last year.

Yeah it’s tough being kept in the dark for so long. At least you know your Psych test responses are desirable, so should you do them again you can be consistent.

I’m through to the PAT2 next week. Would most people agree that if you pass PAT2 then you’re pretty much in? They would probably have a few extras that may be held over for a future squad I guess.

Offline ct18

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 25, 2019, 01:57:02 PM »
It's certainly a tough process.

I had an interview nearly 3 weeks ago now. I haven't had any correspondence since. I haven't been asked forward for Pat2, but I haven't been told that i'm still in the pool. I just haven't heard anything.

So still waiting!

Offline Ball222

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 25, 2019, 04:19:48 PM »
I am also in the same boat.

Had the interview 3 weeks ago but am yet to hear back. There were PAT2s last week and this week. Do you think we are being held off as reserves in case or maybe being held off for the next round of PAT2s? You think we would've heard by now if we were no longer required?

It's certainly a tough process.

I had an interview nearly 3 weeks ago now. I haven't had any correspondence since. I haven't been asked forward for Pat2, but I haven't been told that i'm still in the pool. I just haven't heard anything.

So still waiting!

anything