Author Topic: First Fire  (Read 31707 times)

Offline calspec

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: First Fire
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006, 02:52:53 AM »
First fire, as a cadet with Williamstown CFS, 23 years ago. Domestic fire in the middle of the night at our house (a seperate rumpus room, fully envolved and completely destroyed).  I was only 13, scared the funk out of me and will never ever forget it.  Same summer as Ash Wed.

Second fire, as a young FF at 16, mop up after a scrub fire near Williamstown.

20 years later, returned to CFS duties as an adult, recently completed BFF1.  First incident - a non event fixed alarm.  Still waiting for my first real job.  Getting plenty of radio room experience tho!

PF_

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2006, 05:48:40 PM »
So I guess my first call out is a stop call.  Didnt even get on the truck before the stop call came....

Originally called out to help Williamstown with a grass fire, but stopped about 2 minutes after recieving the page.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2006, 08:08:50 AM »
AWWWW, I reckon you have to at least get on the truck for it to count!  :wink:

Offline steved01

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2006, 09:27:52 AM »
First Fire: Fully involved hay truck
First Grassie: 25 hectares, extreme day
First Forest: Interesting lightning strike burned in to a peat area
First Ambo (yep 12 years vollie Ambo Officer as well): Elderly gent, stroke, head first in his dinner plate

Ah, it's a good life

Dave
3rd law of radiant heat: When your warning lights melt, it's a sign that you parked too close.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2006, 01:43:34 PM »
So I guess my first call out is a stop call.  Didnt even get on the truck before the stop call came....

Originally called out to help Williamstown with a grass fire, but stopped about 2 minutes after recieving the page.

PF you should transfer to Dalkeith or Salisbury you'd probably rack up your first hundred fires before you get your first one with your brigade :wink: :-D
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2006, 02:55:23 PM »
lol from what i have heard he is more likely to rack up a hundred stop calls with one of the forementioned brigades...

PF_

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 03:43:34 PM »
Actually, technically my first 'call out" was the mcLoeds Daughters thing. 

Surely there has to be one some time, if not then I just have to borrow someone's lighter.  Then there will be a fire! :-D

:roll: :-P

joke!

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 04:46:24 PM »
hmmm... well mcleods daughters would be an 'other activity' not an incident...

but yeah, a stop call is a callout, just a cr@p one.

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 09:24:44 PM »
lol from what i have heard he is more likely to rack up a hundred stop calls with one of the forementioned brigades...
maybe dalkeith
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2006, 07:24:03 AM »
Can't remember my first fire...have had some bigger ones though..Tulka, Black Tuesday...the ones in between seem to be insignificant...

thankfully, only 1 MVA fatality..unfortunately, it was someone all the services knew...that included the undertaker...and they were a very big person..needed 8 to get him out of car...

PF you will have many to remember...don't be too keen to get there..it could be a nasty experience first up!

the most important advice someone ever gave me (from Euan) was to take 5...it could save your life..

probie_boy

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 08:45:02 AM »
First job: rubbish fire that turned out to be someone burning off. Didn't even put it out.

First fire: big filtered at Murray Bridge just before xmas last year. I was there on strike team. Good fire that one, she was crowning at about 15 -20 foot high flames.

PF_

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 06:34:06 PM »
Dont need to go to Dalkieth to rack up stop calls, just got number 2 :|

MVA, we were priority two, got on the truck this time, but then they radioed in a stop call....

Surely there has to be something soon :-P

probie_boy

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2006, 12:37:15 PM »
don't worry dude, you'll get a call sooner or later. There was a guy in my brigade i heard didn't get his first call for 8 months after doing his level 1. We just had this drought where everyone used their brains or something and nothing happened for that long. be sure to let me know when you get your first call alright? then we can celebrate!

PF_

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2006, 08:10:02 PM »
Decided against going to an MVA today (filtered school tomorrow :x)  Feel like I made a wrong decision, now I find out MFS are going to it as well, woulda been nice to see them at work...

Edit:  Now I feel better, wouldnt have gone anyway, mum rang and said she's at station just helping the others with whatever they do at station, still woulda been good to hear radio talk etc.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 08:20:08 PM by P F »

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2006, 05:48:18 AM »
That will happen more than once in your CFS lifetime PF.... one of those hard descisions. But as we said in another topic.... there are some things that just have to come before CFS.

PF_

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2006, 05:53:52 AM »
haha, and school is one of them :-P

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2006, 06:56:15 AM »
was a fatal anyway... nobody likes going to them much.

PF_

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2006, 10:41:44 AM »
Yeah was talkin to mate of mine who's at Roseworthy said he heard on commercial radio that she died.  Not good.

PF_

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 05:08:04 PM »
Dont need to go to Dalkieth to rack up stop calls, just got number 2 :|

Make that 3!
Had a vehicle fire call but we couldnt get a driver so another brigade got the call.  turns out it wasnt on fire so we didnt need to respond (as a driver was going to be sent over)

Are there any witch doctors here that can remove curses :-P

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 09:33:19 PM »
My brigades activity level has been real low over the last few months due to lack of callouts

In the 10 years i've been with the Country Fire Service 7 years this december of active service i have been to 2 haystack fires one of them occuring last year just outside of Nangwarry but it was a hay truck fire where the hay caught alight and not the truck
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Stefan KIRKMOE

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2006, 07:55:48 PM »
can't remember first fire, first job was an mva though. Been in the job only a couple of weeks at the time though. A guy was working on his car when the jack had given way and his wife found him a few hours later when she went to tell him dinner was ready, he was under the car and not going anywhere.. interesting first up job!
RCR's - Had a bunch of doozies, many of semi prangs on the freeway especially rollovers....
HAZMAT's - most memorable was probably going by Rescue 51 to KI last year.
Structure Fire - Mitcham shopping centre (4th Alarm), Stonyfell Shopping Centre (2nd alarm)
Scrub - Jan 11, various other strike teams.

PF_

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2006, 08:39:52 PM »
Which brigade are you from to be HAZMAT and RCR, dindt know they had them with both.

Offline Sam

• View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2006, 10:36:14 PM »
There are quite a few brigades around the state that are both RCR HEAVY and Hazmat.

PF_

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2006, 11:11:55 PM »
cool, theyre the lucky ones, get the opportunity to do it all. :-P

Offline Sam

• View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2006, 12:11:45 AM »
Yeah and also a lot more courses and regular training to fit in.... In your area there is;

Dalkeith, Nuriootpa with Pt Wakefiled, Waikerie, outer north northeast, and then the likes of Burnside, Stirling...

Sam

anything