Author Topic: Man Overboard  (Read 9379 times)

PF_

Man Overboard
« on: January 19, 2006, 08:16:45 AM »

I hope its just the angle of that pic, cause that truck looks as if it is about to tip over, that bloke on the back might want to think about jumping, I mean climbing down backwards :wink:

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Man Overboard
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 08:48:50 AM »
nice photo......  8-)

PF_

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 08:57:15 AM »
Its from the CFS promo site

www.fire-brigade.asn.au

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 09:00:51 AM »
lots of appliances were parked like that, hmm training needed

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 09:13:50 AM »
i believe the trial for the off-road driver training course will be happening in the very near future.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 09:18:19 AM »
There were lots of truck sliding sideways down hills at the Cambrai fire.  Crews were looking very green after wards :-o and taking it very easy from there on.

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 09:20:20 AM »
Hi there

The Wilmington Hills are very steep in places.

One appliance from a strike team - seen it as I drove by they were a little hesitant in driving it out due to the angle - believed they used a dozzer?

PS it was not this appliance pictured - I will try and find some pictures.

Thanks

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

PF_

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 09:21:53 AM »
i believe the trial for the off-road driver training course will be happening in the very near future.

Do they have a common sense training course

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 12:38:45 PM »
That Doesn't Look To Bad, However The Truck Needs To Be On A Bit More Of An Angle.

PF_

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 04:52:24 PM »
A firefighter has died because a truck rolled over.  The CFS need to put in that off road training very soon.  That bloke on the back of the pic could have been another fatality.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 10:23:48 AM »
P_F - CFS needs to instigate drive training FULL STOP. How is it we allow common every day people to drive TRUCKS with lights, sirens and adrenalin through towns and suburbs with NO formal response driver training?????

Lets not get short sighted and only look at off road driving!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

PF_

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 10:31:18 AM »
YOu do have to take a driving test etc to get the MR licence.  Im not experienced enough to make comments about driving the trucks through the town on adrenaline so dont have much to say on that.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 01:16:52 PM »
YOu do have to take a driving test etc to get the MR licence.

But the test is done on nothing but bitumen and certainly doesn't accomodate for priority driving of emergency vehicles.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 07:11:59 PM »
mmm considering the amount of driver training SAPOL and SAAS have for there employees it does seem strange that nothing happens for CFS personell... mind you i have seen some 4wd training for CFS.. not very formal though.

surely MFS has a driver training course of some kind... personally i think all drivers should actually be trained, it scares me the way some of them go about it...

Offline Sam

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 09:23:24 PM »
All drivers in our brigade have undergone a driver training course (offensive manner). An instructor sat with them and went through most things.... This is driver training, the rest is common sense and to know your appliance limits and to stick well below them.Most CFS trucks have a high centre of gravity as the water tank and equipment and crew and.... is all placed high.
Hope this helped!

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 09:27:03 PM »
how have you managed the driver training courses for your drivers... have they done it personally.. or have brigade supplied it? who with?

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 07:24:19 PM »
I can't see anything wrong with the appliance in this picture - think it may look worse to you than it actually is :-)

"Driver Training" was provided to us on receipt of a new vehicle. We went off road. It was crap and the instructor didn't understand the conditions in our sand at all. He got stuck (the only one all day) and panicked, calling for heavy machinery to get him out. One of our members drove it out while he was flapping around. Weeks afterwards we found he'd failed to issue a certificate to a member who has been banned from driving CFS appliances ever since - now 16 months :-(
Great plug for training, not!
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 10:06:46 AM »
However The Pic Makes It Look Like Its On A Bit Of A Lean, However It May Just Be The Pic Its Hard To Tell.  Considering What Happened In Vic, Perhaps More Driver Training Might Be Required.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 03:10:04 PM »
can't see anything wrong with the appliance in this picture   - - WTF

it might be the picture but I would not like to be on the back of the appliance.
Accident waiting to happen.
If you think that is safe you need some training or leave before you hurt someone

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 08:02:42 AM »
Ive been with drivers that scare me, and drivers I would be comfortable trusting my life with anytime....
It all comes down to personal perception really.

Have to say Im with Kat on this on, the photo probably makes it look a lot worse than what it is. Besides if it is that bad.... then you cant only blame the driver for its position. Surely the OIC should have been onto it as well.....

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 07:40:18 AM »
judging by the angles when you compare the truck to the person who is presumably standing up straight, i think it is a shitfull parking attempt.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 09:12:31 AM »
Poor driver ..... I'm sure they requested a nice flat paddock, with no fire in to park on, out of the smoke, away from the heat, where the crew didn't have to get off and do any work, with a bit of shade and a nice cool breeze with waiting staff that bought them ice cool drinks and the latest paper to read!

Reality everyones country is different and everyone has different experiences, expectations and levels of skill. I note the appliance photographed is a local one and the terrain looks mild compared with a lot in their area. I'm also sure that they are like the rest of us and our brigades  - where we are familiar with our area and where we can and can't take and appliance .... aren't we?
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 09:32:23 AM »
judging by the angles when you compare the truck to the person who is presumably standing up straight

I Don't Think He Is Standing Up, To Me It Looks As If He Is Sitting On The Side Of The Tank, With His Feet Or Foot Against The Side Holding Him There Instead Of Sliding Off.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 10:08:02 AM »
where are the maths boffins????

get a protractor....... if your assumption is correct in saying the FF on the groung is standing straight up then measure the angle between him and the back corner of the truck. and see what you come up with.....

the Hino's have a safe working angle of 35deg. and the centre of gravity is getting better the more the water goes down.....

lets just see what sort of angle we come up with (id do it myself, but I dont have a protractor here)......

I dont see the FF on the back of the truck hanging on for grim death, and I dont see the FF standing directly beneath it panicing that hes about to get squished!

Now I know i didnt mention anything about fluid movement when the truck moves again, but dont think its a huge issue.

Oz_fire has it right.... they know the vehicle, they know the terrain.... dont knock what you werent there to see!

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 06:08:06 PM »
Once again, I do not see anything out of the ordinary at all about this picture.

I can only surmise we've run out of interesting things to talk about.  LOL  :-D
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

anything