Author Topic: Disgusting Act  (Read 4866 times)

PF_

Disgusting Act
« on: January 25, 2006, 12:37:01 PM »
Heard on the news report that firefighters battling the Victorian bushfires (terow, sounded like that) were robbed while they slept.  That is low. :x

strikeathird

Re: Disgusting Act
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 01:01:05 PM »
If that is the case, then yes, it certainly is..   Hope they catch the  bast@rds !!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 01:40:38 PM »
We were at a fire on Hindmarsh Island one day and one of our members was at the station which was locked up, he heard noises out the back and when he investigated found some local low lives trying to take stuff from our cars. luckily nothing was taken because a few of the irate members were looking for retrobution. :x
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 01:47:25 PM »
thats why i always thought it was stupid our doors used to go up automatically.. until they broke, but thats another story..

one day i rocked up to the station ofr a call, first one there, the doors were up, and although they werent actually in the shed (they didnt look very interested in the shed) theyre were several teenage kids in the car park... now i mean honestly this was the perfect op. for them to go for a joy ride in a fire truck... (unlocked, keys in ignition...)

:roll:

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 01:54:55 PM »
We've never had the problem with the station being open but these kids knew that we were out because it was a big fire but they've since had a few "verbal warnings" :evil: to stay away and they won't come near the station now.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

PF_

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 02:01:45 PM »
We've never had the problem with the station being open but these kids knew that we were out because it was a big fire but they've since had a few "verbal warnings" :evil: to stay away and they won't come near the station now.

If ya see em hanging around get out the 64mm, they might enjoy a shower :evil:

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 02:09:48 PM »
Use the halligan !  They wont do much at ALL after wards...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 10:25:09 AM »
one day i rocked up to the station ofr a call, first one there, the doors were up, and although they werent actually in the shed (they didnt look very interested in the shed) theyre were several teenage kids in the car park... now i mean honestly this was the perfect op. for them to go for a joy ride in a fire truck... (unlocked, keys in ignition...)

Just a different thought process on the teenagers standing out the front of a CFS station watching....maybe they were interested in seeing a CFS crew respond to an emergency call  :?

If I see a car in the car park and a roller door open of the local CFS station, I have parked the car on a side road for my children (and me) to watch the CFS brigade respond. I explain what is happening and hopefully my kids will learn a little bit more.

Were the teenagers approached ? Might be potential recruits  :-)
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 03:07:14 PM »
Thank you, Andrew, for not thinking the worst of teenagers!

We often have that age group hanging around interested in the lights and siren thing :-)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 07:43:09 AM »
mmm they didnt seem to have any plans to steal/play with anything.. just saying it gives anyone that oppurtunity...

Offline calspec

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 09:35:19 PM »
We must remember that the CFS is a community based organisation.  We are all members of our local community, as are the local teenagers.  Cadets are teenagers, who become firefighters.  The last thing we need to be doing is scaring off our potential recruits with over zealous approaches to security.  If you are standby crew at a station and you notice kids hanging around, why not go and have a chat to them or, if permitted, invite them in and show them around the station (discreetly of course without getting in the way). You may even spark enough interest in them to join the cadets.  Of course, if they are up to no good, then get out the haligan or 64mm!  :evil:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 06:51:01 AM »
i think people may have misinterpreted my post...

i was actually pointing out that the automatic doors on many stations open us up to all kind of risks.... not saying teenagers are ratbags... i mean im still young and i dont think im a ratbag...?

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 04:50:35 PM »
Point taken but when the doors go up I guess it means they'd have to be pretty quick with crews rocking up within minutes.

They'd have just as much opportunity to take off in the appliances (of so possessed) when we got back and they're on the apron unattended. Or at a static incident where they're unattended.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

rescue5271

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 06:43:01 AM »
Not all teenages are like this,may be in a small town it was a way for them to see what the CFS do and that may be they where waiting to see if anyone would come and talk to them about joining... On another note few years ago I went to Victoria for  a fire tour  a Number of us had money taken while we where in the shower after our day on the fire ground and I can tell you that they where fast at pointing the finger at a guy with in our group.... Not sure what the outcome was of that one.