Author Topic: Combining training  (Read 4358 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Combining training
« on: February 01, 2006, 11:57:46 AM »
I could be creating a storm here, but I am curious on a volunteers opinion.

Should the training organisations of MFS, CFS & SES be combined under SAFECOM to avoid duplication in standards and delivery of courses to volunteers ? I would envisage this would include training facilities being combined.

Would you has a CFS volunteer be happy to receive training from a qualified SES or MFS trainer ?

Can we avoid the duplication by a different system ?

Can you see any advantages in a combined training system ?

Please note I do not have any problems with training individuals or training departments. The questions above are not aimed to attack or discredit anyone.

My background on the question is:

** this pager message indicates another organisation attending a SES course: “09:03:18 01-02-06 Accommodation for SES chain saw course confirmed at Hahndorf OLD MILL. Training officer From Sthn Fleurieu GCC 01/02/06 09:02:53”

** I have attended a Leadership course at CFS Brukunga which was delivered by SES & CFS trainers. It was brilliant.

** We all have some similar skills & taskings: chainsaws, first aid, RCR, GRN, Operations control, Leadership, Map & Navigation (incl GPS), etc.

** Training courses need to be delivered by qualified instructors, so I would envisage (for example) that rural fire fighting courses will always be delivered by CFS instructors.

** Other forums on this website detail courses being cancelled, re-accreditation issues in RCR, boat rescue skills, driver training skills, etc.

** SES have recently released a new Road Crash Rescue Training Resource kit. I wonder how similar this is to CFS or MFS training standards.

** The SA Road Crash Rescue Competition is an example of how the different organisations sometimes do the same tasking and receive similar training.

But my major question is: “Would you has a CFS volunteer be happy to receive training from a qualified SES or MFS trainer ?”
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Combining training
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 12:08:38 PM »
On the compartment firefighting course the MFS guys did some training with us. It was great

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 12:13:04 PM »
With all the courses going towards national standards there shouldnt be any question between the quality of the courses, or information obtained as a result of attending.

I wouldnt have a problem with where any instructor came from.... as long as they knew what they were talking about!

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 12:14:02 PM »
if there a qualified trainer i cant see why not...

i have no problem with the other services, My problem is the long drawn out war stories that everyone knows is actually false anyway... :roll:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 12:27:42 PM by medevac »

PF_

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 12:19:03 PM »
No problems whatsoever.  it really doesnt matter who does the training as long as they are good at it and teach us well how to do the specific training thing.  

WOuldnt mind going to a mets station to do training for something though.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 12:27:56 PM »
Should the training organisations of MFS, CFS & SES be combined under SAFECOM to avoid duplication in standards and delivery of courses to volunteers ? I would envisage this would include training facilities being combined.

Not only are SAFECOM looking at such things as duplication of training etc, they are also looking at duplication of services, ie; CFS and SES in the same town.

PS: I have no problem with being trained by a different entity, if it's Nationally recognised training it shouldn't matter who delivers the training.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 12:31:13 PM »
PF:

have had BA training through the mets cage complex in wakefield st. good stuff... plus that way you can play in there fake house, and the tower, its awesome...

have also had a play with one of there pumpers, and when i was a cadet we went to St Marys station, played with 401, 409 and also 205 was brought there to give us a ride/lift...

was absoloutely awesome going right up in the bucket.

all ya need is connections in the right places... in our case it was a station officer being in the brigade

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 09:32:35 AM »
We (the fire service) do have the same training!
Compartment Fire Fighting - written by CFS, adapted by MFS, Hazmat, RCR, CABA, flammable liquids/gases, CBRR - all co exist, both services have shared info, deliver the same training, to the same standard - CFS may be a little tougher in the long run as it requires re-accreditation!

Both CFS and MFS are registered to deliver at a National level to national competencies.

SES however I'm not sure about - I know they don't share the RCR course and don't know about their training, although I believe they are (with other states) going to deliver the Cert II and CertIII and Cert IV in Public Safety - maybe someone from SES could fill us in on their standard of training and adaption of the national standards

If your interested in what each service is registered to deliver go to:
CFS: http://www.ntis.gov.au/cgi-bin/waxhtml/~ntis2/org.wxh?page=65&inputRef=8470
MFS: http://www.ntis.gov.au/cgi-bin/waxhtml/~ntis2/org.wxh?page=65&inputRef=1625

And having seen many MFS instructors training with CFS instructors at Brukunga - I would have no problem - likewise having seen SES instructors in vertical rescue - no problem!

At the end of the day we are all here to provide a service, lets do it as easily as possible - forget the BS about uniform colours coz it's time to be "Getting on with the job"
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.