Author Topic: Mt Gambier MFS going full time  (Read 61853 times)

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Mt Gambier MFS going full time
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2006, 02:02:25 PM »
As you all know, when you apply for MFS you must do a "beep test". You get one go and if you fail thats the end, see you next time.

My question to the new Mt Gambier recruits, how many times did you do the "beep test?"
I love the smell of napalm in the morning,smells like,like........VICTORY

Toast

« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2006, 03:26:39 PM »
Atleast you get a foul line...

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2006, 09:05:47 PM »
The 5 successful candidates all passed the 9.6 level so whats your beef??

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2006, 09:27:20 PM »
Glad I wasn't the only one who felt the "tone" in K99's post...

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2006, 01:42:35 PM »
So are you saying you only did the beep test once and all reached 9.6?

Thats all I wish to know.

PF_

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2006, 01:53:11 PM »
did you fail a beep test once to get into MFS?

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2006, 02:01:08 PM »
I have never failed beep test. Easiest thing to pass when going for MFS.

PF_

« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2006, 02:04:40 PM »
why do you appear os cynical then?

are you in MFS?

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2006, 02:06:40 PM »
Trust me Federer if you want to get a job doing fire fighting try and start at the bottom and apply for a summer crew job with NPWSA or Forestry SA as their fitness requirements are alot different
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2006, 02:09:06 PM »
I have just asked the question.... Did they do it once (like everybody else) or were they given plenty of opportunities to pass the beep test?

PF_

« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2006, 02:18:09 PM »
Trust me Federer if you want to get a job doing fire fighting try and start at the bottom and apply for a summer crew job with NPWSA or Forestry SA as their fitness requirements are alot different

huh, Im not worried about fitness requirements quite the opposite as Im rather fit so not worried.

K99, just seemed like you were being cynical and tohught you might be that way cause you might have failed a beep test once.  Just me analysing, sometimes right sometimes wrong.

P.S, you can still call me PF, only changed it to Federer cause Im now no.1 on the post rankings and decided to change.  :-P :lol:

Offline Big Yellow Gongbeater

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2006, 02:21:57 PM »
No one doubts the accomplishments of the team at Mt Gambier, but a simple question was asked.  Was the selection process adjusted for this particular intake? i.e Applicants being given multiple opportunities to pass the "beep test".  Or did they have to undergo the exact same selection process as every other applicant for the SAMFS and that is, if you fail to meet the requirements for any portion of the test on the first occasion you automatically fail the entire process.  Not a hard question to answer without all the rhetoric and cynicism. Because its got me intrigued now.  :|
"Madness and chaos reign supreme. My work here is done"

PF_

« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2006, 02:27:31 PM »
I should hope they went to the same standard as they are full time paid firefighters now.

Nothign wrong with analysing comments and cynicism.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2006, 03:12:08 PM »
Your swinging that gong way too hard if you try to tell me the original question wasn't cynical or provocative...

A simple observation of a question which could have just as easily been asked in a private message, rather than bring public doubt on the testing methods and procedures undertaken with the Mt. Gambier recruits.

PF_

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2006, 03:20:13 PM »
I agree with RescueHazmat.  It did appear as a way of brinigng in doubt.

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2006, 04:22:23 PM »
Whatever!!! Is anyone going to answer my question or not.

Its not a hard question, a simple yes or no would be sufficient.

Isnt anyone else interested in the answer.

How about we wait for an answer from someone who knows then we can discuss the matter further if need be.

Did they do the beep test once and all reached the required level of 9.6....on their first go?

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2006, 04:33:22 PM »
Your swinging that gong way too hard if you try to tell me the original question wasn't cynical or provocative...

A simple observation of a question which could have just as easily been asked in a private message, rather than bring public doubt on the testing methods and procedures undertaken with the Mt. Gambier recruits.

I would observe that the question is provocative rather than cynical.  But the point you raise about brining public doubt on testing and procedures (irrespective of weather its Mt Gambier SAMFS or Kalangadoo CFS) is actually a public issue.  Transparency and equity are a key element of the testing and selection procedures. If as you suggest it be kept quiet and just among the boys, this actually brings more public scorn upon a service that would then just give jobs to the boys.  Maybe next time a more analytical observation of the question would reveal where that particular post is heading. I would suggest it has something to do with "keeping the b@#$^%&**ds honest"  after all i'm sure if you missed out on a position with the SAMFS because you failed a fitness test by 1/2 second i'm sure you'd be wanting to know that the process was equal for all.

Oh and for the record, I ain't swinging the gong as hard as some around here!

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2006, 04:53:28 PM »
I will accept that, point taken.

If, and I bring huge emphasis on the word IF, the testing standards were different or "adjusted" then by all means it should, like anything out there, be open to public discussion.

But, I believe a more diplomatic approach to asking the question in the first place will get people alot further.  I also have a feeling the answer is already known...(Hence being provocative) And if the answer is already known, please share your knowledge...

And on a side note, congratulations to all those that did succeed in their application for the Mt Gambier fulltime crew.  Job well done ! :)

Toast

« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2006, 07:29:43 PM »
Did they do the beep test once and all reached the required level of 9.6....on their first go?
I would suggest that the lads down at the Mt. knew about the need for permanent staff a while ago. Hence they've had months to build up fitness, even if they were'nt that fit to begin with.

After a month or two of running 9.6 is like a walk in the park.

PF_

« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2006, 10:24:19 PM »
also that doesnt paint a good picture for Mt Gambier, insinuating theyre unfit and slobbish needing more than 1 go to get 9.6.  As has been said after a bit of basic fitness training you can get through easily enough. 

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2006, 08:14:57 AM »
I am not calling anyone unfit etc. Im sure the Gambier boys are up to any task.

Dont put words in my mouth or cast dispersions about what I am saying. Are you trying to turn this into a huge filtered fight.

Its a simple question.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 08:37:54 AM by Mike »

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2006, 08:45:56 AM »
Unfortunately it a question many of us cant answer, and the man to answer is off doing training at the moment (with very limited web access).

I believe the others were just wondering why the question was asked. Is there something that makes you believe that the selection process was altered in some way, shape or form?

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2006, 01:51:48 PM »
Unfortunately it a question many of us cant answer, and the man to answer is off doing training at the moment (with very limited web access).

I believe the others were just wondering why the question was asked. Is there something that makes you believe that the selection process was altered in some way, shape or form?

Great point Mike, it would appear that it is a question that many of us can't answer it (I know I can't), so it is again though no suprise that other's want to put their two bobs worth in before someone who can does.
  Yes one would suspect that K99 may just know something that the rest of the world doesn't and it is a provocative question, but does this in anyway
give the rest of the gongbeaters the right to start manipulating a simple yes or no question, I think not.  If someone does in fact answer the question, if it is a yes, well then i'm sure K99 will probably sleep better at night and everyone else will bag him for a bit and continue to gongbeat along. But if the answer is NO, then i'm sure K99 will have done some people favours, and maybe he isn't just being a filtered for asking such a question. So weather you're a moderator, Capt, Lt or whatever, how about waiting for an answer before gobbing off (as usual)

Mod note: Please let the filter do its thing...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:11:23 PM by Mike »

PF_

« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2006, 02:06:03 PM »
dont circumvent the language filter.

capt lt on this forum means nothiong to do with rank, but it really di appear to be a loaded question and if you couldnt see that then you need to stop gonging yourself.  Yes it would be good to get an official answer.  In time it will happen.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2006, 02:09:36 PM »
Lets all take a deep breath and wait until Mat has an opportunity to get back online.....

anything