Author Topic: new 24p and 34 crew cabs  (Read 2875 times)

rescue5271

new 24p and 34 crew cabs
« on: January 25, 2005, 02:37:05 PM »
How many brigades and groups have had problems with their new appliances :?: Our new 34 has had a few since we got it some 3 months ago and moores only came to fix it on Sunday after it caught fire at a crop fire. There was a problem with the primer wiring that caused the wire to over heat and start the fire on the truck while the crew where draughting from a water tank.

Other problems have been: - unable to use foam due to air locks
                                        - electric problems with water alarm and level
                                        - heat curtain screws falling out.

These are just a few and I would like to hear if any other brigade has had the same problems....

Good times

new 24p and 34 crew cabs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 07:47:57 PM »
What about the 34 bouncing due the water tank being to far behind the rear axle?

I know of one appliance that has complained about this.

Have notheard anything bad about the 24P's, apart from the fact that they should have had the roller shutter lockers right the way round.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
new 24p and 34 crew cabs
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 08:11:38 PM »
At least one of the early 24P's caught on fire that I know of...... Not sure what the inital trigger of the fire was, but the result of the wiring looms through the work deck not being fused was a truck out of action for a couple of months.

Apparently all the wires were the same colour tooo..... try tracing that out when you want to replace something!!!!

Airlocks with the foam induction system are common, but when they work, ive been pretty impressed. The system was never designed to take AFFF, but the spike is a little concerning. The need to educate people about leaving an empty drum on and not over filling the reservoir!

I agree that the electric water level sensors are a pain.... they still seen to attract growths in the tank.... you have to pull the sensors out every few months to clean the crud off them....

Despite the teething problems they have proven to be a reasonable appliance (although I pity the brigades that ended up with 60m underslung sidelines - so much for the little clearance they had!) a fairly sturdy workhorse all round.....

Good times

new 24p and 34 crew cabs
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 08:41:15 PM »
Yeah, the new 24P is a vast improvement, they finally learnt where the hose reels should go!! THe electrics on the first dual cab 24P leave a lot to be desired, I wonder if it had something to do with that batch being the last fire appliances AFC ever built, usually their quality was better than that, I remember going in there once and thinking , hmmmm. I remember one of the guys telling me they were not happy putting those lockers on the truck. Speaking of which, I heard that the new 34P's will be having roller shutter lockers right the way round, Fantastic, its only taken 20 years to come back to what we used to do. Hopefully once this round is finished they will settle on that design, bring it on. Next step is the pumpers and we will be laughing!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
new 24p and 34 crew cabs
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 08:36:33 AM »
That probably had a lot to do with it..... they (AFC) were cutting a few corners by then..... but, that was the past. Much rather look forward to the future!