Author Topic: Ordering of PBI Gold  (Read 88595 times)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Re: Ordering of PBI Gold
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2007, 03:25:15 PM »
They say the paid staff are there to help the vollies.

SO WHY ARENT THEY HELPING THEM???

Surely they would know about the situation by now.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2007, 03:34:50 PM »
they must be too confused as to who to help....

the Vollie GOs dotn wantit, the vollie FFs want it but cant get past the GOs....

and noone will go outside the group for fear of stirring up too much shiite and making a name for themself.....

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2007, 05:52:35 PM »
I can't believe this situation has been allowed to occur. Seems culpable to me.

Would the coroner or Work Safe SA prosecute a GO if someone was injured or worse, from a lack of protection when it should have been supplied????

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2007, 08:01:50 PM »
and noone will go outside the group for fear of stirring up too much shiite and making a name for themself.....

I dont want to stir scheiße here but seriously grow up...its your safety!  Take it to the minister if you have to.

How would you feel if one of your fellow firies was killed or burned because of the lack of PPE.  I realise we used to use nomex but there was a change for a reason.

Sorry to step on some toes but you cant sit on your donkey any longer!  If someone has taken it higher then good on em and why the hell arent those higher people doing something to fix it!
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »
 :wink:

Timbo

« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2007, 07:00:04 PM »
If your GO wont action it, you have evry right to go over their heads to Region.  They are obliged to action it.  Easiest way - fill in a hazard identification form - they will then have to deal with it.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2007, 06:16:49 AM »
Come on Medevac, you like to talk the talk
Bring it up with your brigade reps, get the ball rolling.
Everyone has a voice at meetings. I can't work out why you have not got the gear yet.
Or do your officers ignore you

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2007, 10:13:33 AM »
Come on Medevac, you like to talk the talk
Bring it up with your brigade reps, get the ball rolling.
Everyone has a voice at meetings. I can't work out why you have not got the gear yet.
Or do your officers ignore you

there may be a reason they ignore him (going by his posts to this forum!).  A group is not run by the GO but by the group management committee, made up of all group officers and captains (even in Sturt group).  I'm sure they have their reasons (I don't know what they are but then again I'm not in that group).

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2007, 12:26:51 PM »
Yeah well it was the state government that allocated the money for this stuff to be purchased so it is not up to a snotty nosed group officer to hold back on it. He didnt filtered buy it. The vollies deserve the clothing.

Offline Hicksflat14

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2007, 12:36:02 PM »
Medevac from reading your posts for some time I think you know more about the reasons behind this and just choosing to ignore them.

The Sturt Group has carried out a risk assessment on the Nomex uniform for using it as intended. However no risk assessment has been carried out on the PBI gold gear by anyone for use at anything. This may be one of the reasons Sturt Group hasn't issued it. A risk assessment is meant to be done on just about everything these days but hasn't been done on the PBI uniform. Perhaps if you turn you attention more to the fact the state/region hasn't issued the Sturt group with the requested safety and operational documentation you may get somewhere.

The Sturt Group isn't afraid to lead. I think you will find when the Sturt Group (then Mitcham Hills) went for two piece uniforms it wasn't towing the CFSHQ line who were all for cotton overalls. Sturt Group didn't tow the line on appliance design producing some appliances that are arguably better then their CFS issued replacements 20 years later. It didn't tow the line on rescue gear bypassing CFSHQ to give Blackwood the gear they needed.

OK you don't look as hip and cool as a Mt Lofty fire fighter passed out from heat stress while wearing PBI at a strike team, but there is logic and principle behind this.

While I suspect you know all this already if you don't you should talk to your Captain or Lieutenant that attend the monthly group meetings as I suspect this gets brought up every single time.

*edit to remove reference to BWD*
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 12:59:55 PM by Hicksflat14 »

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »
Good post
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 02:40:38 PM by fire03rescue »

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2007, 01:40:18 PM »
Well you dont wear PBI at strike teams do you?? You shouldnt be. The CFS has made the decision to buy the PBI and they take the responsibility for it. As for the appliances, what did Belair get as a new truck?? A 34P. times do change.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 29, 2007, 04:16:44 PM »
very in formative post hicksflat14
But any one who wears PBI for any longer than needed is stupid and wearing it to a bushfire is stupid.

If Sturt group leads the way what is leading buy using Nomex at structure fires? Ok they might have come out with two piece and some good appliances.

Why has MFS gone to PBI and most FF I have spoken to much prefer PBI for structure work.

Lastly if this group is holding back PBI couldn't it be given to groups who have allowed it's use?

Might i suggest shifting this to members only

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2007, 07:22:42 PM »
fire03rescue -
i have been trying to get the ball rolling for the past 12 months at least. you would not believe the number of times this has been brought up with brigade reps for the group meetings, but alas they do not really care, neither does the brigade OH/S rep.

hicks flat 14 -
firstly, nice to see a sturt group officer/brigade officer having there input (also i didnt think duplicate accounts were allowed?)...
so tell us, what is the real reason sturt group dont want to issue PBI? forget the stories about risk assesments and SOPs, you know for a fact that it offers a higher level of protection for the firies at structure jobs (which is its sole purpose in CFS). All the group is doing is putting firies at more risk than necessary.

also i am interested... why would a mt lofty firie be wearing his PBI to a strike team? perhaps you need to actually work out what CFS is using this PPE for.

not to worry though hicksflat - im actually in the process of a formal letter to region re the PBI , so it will all probly go a bit faster from here on. we can only hope  :wink: or perhaps the use of the local messenger would be good? sturt group seem to have used that to effectively stir up scheiße in the past?

another point, the last appliance that sturt group custom built seems to have been a fizzer in my eyes and plagued with issues however minor they may have been, the last time i saw the CAFS appliance at a grassfire it took the crew an extraordinary amount of time to begin attacking the fire and there progress was very slow, because they couldnt get there proportions right. but yes it is a great mop up appliance, perhaps it can be kept for that purpose. i do however believe the old Belair pumper and Eden pumper (shame to hear that thing is rusting away) and Coro 24P are probly amongst the finest builds in the CFS fleet....

anyway i dont want to turn this into a sturt group 'bagging' excercise.

ath - that comment was great mate.. made me laugh.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 08:05:47 PM by medevac »

Offline filtered

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2007, 07:26:32 PM »
Hmm, as an outsider, would the reluctance to allow PBI Gold into Sturt Group have anything to do with the business interests of one of their deputies?

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2007, 09:13:28 AM »
 10:12:48 30-01-07 FROM STURT DEPUTY 2 PBI GOLD HAS BEEN DELIVERED TO YOUR STATION THIS MORNING FOR DISTRIBUTION - LAUNDRY BAGS AND LABELS HAVE BEEN SUPPLIED - SOME NAME TAGS ARE MISSING

This message didn't go to a Brigade - who's playing funny buggers? :evil:

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2007, 09:44:33 AM »
was at the station and there are lots of white bags from Lion with names on them...

something must be actually happening. might hang onto that letter for a little while.....

PROGRESS!!!!!

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2007, 09:57:51 AM »
Wow, my pager capcode list said it went to Group officers response (single address). Will have to check that one. looks like it is all starting to happen! :wink:

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2007, 10:04:10 AM »
My pdw came up with a hit to Sturt Group Officers response code also. Gee maybe all our comments on SAFF had some clout?

Offline Hicksflat14

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2007, 10:24:16 AM »
Well this issue is now dead. The structural gloves the group was waiting on came in and now the structural uniform (with gloves and hood) is going out. (Even I believe without state supplying a risk assessment on the gear). But before you all soil your PBI pants here is a reply to some questions/comments. (damn browser wouldn't let me post last night)

Hmm, as an outsider, would the reluctance to allow PBI Gold into Sturt Group have anything to do with the business interests of one of their deputies?

That is such a stupid question. Not rolling out PBI has not lead to the purchase of any extra nomex and never will. Even if PBI was issued, Nomex will still be required for all members for everything other then internal structural so the issue and replacement is exactly the same.

Also I think you will find that business interest is a supplier of PBI gold as well. I could be wrong here (perhaps fire03rescue can clear this up) but I don't think nomex production is a going concern of the business interest as it has been spun off.

But any speculation that the Sturt group management is making a decision base on such a consideration is offencive. (not to mention stupid as there is no logic behind it)

Medevac:

firstly, nice to see a sturt group officer/brigade officer having there input (also i didn't think duplicate accounts were allowed?)...
wrong I just listen to the feedback that comes from group and read the minutes. You may like to try getting some info from sources other then SAFF some time. In reference to your question about duplicate accounts, people in the past have asked if I was you. So if I'm not you then this isn't a duplicate.

you know for a fact that it offers a higher level of protection for the firies at structure jobs (which is its sole purpose in CFS)
do I?
Higher level of protection against what?
A wall falling on you - no
Getting disorientated and running out of air - no
Getting heat stroke and flailing - no,indeed worse falling through a floor - no
falling off a ladder or roof - no

the only thing it may provide you better protection against is externally generated heat and last I looked on the appliance we had hose lines for that kind of thing.

Also you could run the line that why is CFSHQ issuing proban grass fire uniforms when you would know for a fact nomex offers a "higher level of protection" to use your words. (I actually think CFSHQ may have back flipped on this and may go for nomex for grass fire uniforms as it wears better and therefor has lower life costs)

All the group is doing is putting firies at more risk than necessary.
No the line is the same as it has ever been if you don't feel you have the equipment or training to do a task safely then don't do it. You can be injured and die in nomex you can be injured and die in PBI. There is a wide spectrum of risks many of them larger then externally generated heat.

There is a massive technical argument here over vent and enter vs compartment tactics. Ill leave that for now other then say that personally I believe that vent then enter is the safest option for firefighters. I know you compartment blokes will do your nar nar but just think what do you do in the compartment if someone his/her DSU. The big red button gets hit and the place is vented.

also i am interested... why would a mt lofty firie be wearing his PBI to a strike team?
Who said it was a male? In this case both genders were involved.

Anyway you ask them. (and this was a strike team they sent to Mt Gambier) but you see them at other grass fires wearing it as was photographed by the Advertiser a few months back. Not that Lofty fire fighters are the only ones.

not to worry though hicksflat - I'm actually in the process of a formal letter to region re the PBI
I hope you were going to asking them to provide the Sturt group with the simple documentation the group has been asking for, for the last 6 months or so.

the last appliance that sturt group custom built seems to have been a fizzer
Well I don't think the Sturt group had the same control on this project as it had on past builds. But my opinion parallels yours on this topic.

i do however believe the old Belair pumper and Eden pumper (shame to hear that thing is rusting away) and Coro 24P are probly amongst the finest builds in the CFS fleet....
Indeed they are but so are Blackwood rescue, Belair tanker and eden24 on which coro24P is based. They are all very fit appliances so even if you factor in one appliance that may or may not have lived up to expectations its still a good hit miss ratio. Good appliances are very complex platforms and it is very hard to get them right.

bittenyakka:
If Sturt group leads the way what is leading buy using Nomex at structure fires?
Well that was just a general comment that the Sturt group changes where the need is identified. Secondly you seem to make out that the uniform is the be all and end all of structural fire fighting. It simply is not; well not for people who actually fight structure fires and not just sit in the bottom of hot shipping containers.

At the end of the day things are as they ever have been. If you don't feel its safe to do something with the equipment and training you have then don't do it. Even with PBI gold you cant go into everything and cant save everyone. It doesn't make you invincible.

cloaks of invincibility are for D&D playing nerds with 8 sided dice.

Why has MFS gone to PBI and most FF I have spoken to much prefer PBI for structure work.
That is a fanboy comment. You say most which suggest not all, which shows the diversity in the topic. I think you will find that the Sturt group offices talk to far far more MFS firefighters then yourself. So they know the issues involved with this gear both for and against. Secondly pointing at another service and saying "they have it" isn't a full justification.
There are services that would prefer to wear something other then PBI for structural. And indeed there are better uniforms for specific purposes.
The issue is getting a uniform that matches the risks, tactics and budget of the service.

That aside I believe the Sturt group has said as soon as state/region answers some questions about its use and maintenance it would distribute the gear to fire fighters. If it is such a great uniform then there should be no problem for region/state providing the documentation that the Sturt group requested both the risk assessment (that needs to be filled out with every bit of new equipment or modification) or the operational procedure/ guide lines right? Well if its so easy and so necessary (as CFSHQ makes it out to be) their sure taking their time.

Ath:
Well you dont wear PBI at strike teams do you?? You shouldnt be. The CFS has made the decision to buy the PBI and they take the responsibility for it. As for the appliances, what did Belair get as a new truck?? A 34P. times do change.

Well I don't wear PBI gold on strike teams. But some others aren't as selective wearing it to everything and anything including grass fires and strike teams (you don't need to look to hard to see it happening). No one is questioning why group officers don't enforce CFSHQ policy on not wearing it to grass fires.

The fact is this whole PBI topic is a fan boy issue. "I want it as the people who get paid and I urn to be wear it"

I think some would question that it was a CFS decision to buy PBI gold. I think it was as much a CFS decision to buy PBI gold as it was to buy the GRN. These decisions get made by people who don't fight fires. Which is what some people in particular medevac overlook. the decision to not hand it out is made by people who fight fires. No one could dispute that those on the Sturt group management committee are highly respected and proficient firefighters and have only got there after decades of dedication. They were elected to there positions by the members of the group. Where as the person that made the decision to buy PBI gold has who knows what experience if any and was elected by no one.

Times do change but not necessarily or the better.

Gee maybe all our comments on SAFF had some clout?

Take your hand off your nozzle.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 11:23:11 AM by Hicksflat14 »

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2007, 12:27:48 PM »
wow you have a lot to say for somone that has been on this forum for about 5 minutes. Anyone else you want to have a crack at?

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2007, 12:37:37 PM »
Hicksflat great comments and you have cleared a lot of crap up, I am not sure who  can and can't sell PBI gold.
But I think you will find that the business you are talking about might ( not 100%) would  had an intrest in the gloves and hoods, like other business.

So I am not sure why the conflict of intrest keeps coming up.
I think you will find the the GROUP votes on issues not one person.

I have worked with these people before and I have confidence it what they do and do for their group.

At the end of the day if issues are some much of a concern talk to your captain or speak to the group officers for some answers and you might get the same kind of respons the one on this forum.
It might have stopped all this??

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 30, 2007, 03:46:50 PM »
Well thank you you answered all my questions.

would it be possible to share some of the sturt groups reservations?

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2007, 04:13:46 PM »
Mr 14 you need to take some of the comments on this group with a grain of salt.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2007, 06:32:16 PM »
10:12:48 30-01-07 FROM STURT DEPUTY 2 PBI GOLD HAS BEEN DELIVERED TO YOUR STATION THIS MORNING FOR DISTRIBUTION - LAUNDRY BAGS AND LABELS HAVE BEEN SUPPLIED - SOME NAME TAGS ARE MISSING

This message didn't go to a Brigade - who's playing funny buggers? :evil:

1909056 10:42:03 30-01-07 PBI GOLD AT STATION. WILL BE ISSUED FRI PLS DO NOT TAKE BEFOREHAND FROM EDEN EQUIPMENT

Well the word has got out

AT LAST
Images are copyright