Author Topic: Ideal CFS pumpers  (Read 10290 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ideal CFS pumpers
« on: May 23, 2007, 10:32:23 PM »
Well Since everyone is so absorbed in CFS having a lack of good pumpers and just getting type 2 mediums so here is the question: without any budget constraints what would be the ideal CFS pumper?

So far from other threads i have picked up:
4000L
2 HP lines
mid mount pump
Lots of power so they can operate in hilly areas.

I'll try and edit this post to add new sugestions.

Offline Crankster 34

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal CFS pumpers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 10:38:32 PM »
At least a 1250GPM mid mount pump, with a seperate high pressure stage for hose lines.

Remote controlled roof mounted monitor.

B.A. seats in the cabin.

Automatic gearbox.

A very crank Federal Q siren with a kickass air horn.
Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 10:54:42 PM »
Scania 94G 300

Darley Midmount 3 Stage Pump 3800 lpm

90 Metre Hose Reels

BA Seats

Oxy Viva as standard stowage on all appliances

Remote deck mounted monitor similar to MFB

Plenty of LED lighting Front Back and sides

I know we are dreaming to think that will ever happen :-P

Images are copyright

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 12:34:24 AM »
Heavy Rescue gear mounted on slide out tray at rear,
4WD would be nice, Needs big engine, BA seats, Air Cond, BIG 3 stage midmount pump, Auto gearbox. air conditioning, and cup holders

alternativly, http://www.fire.org.nz/photo/vehicles/Type4.htm minus the ariel capacity! 4700LPM midmount darley
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 07:20:43 AM »
why the hell would you want a 4000lt or a 4wd pumper??when are people going to learn that a pumper is a urban appliances,lets face it there are lots of places in the hills that you can not get a pumper or any appliances other than a QA or a 14 near in the hills. I agree two HP lines mid mount pump is good as is a rear mount pump,crew cab,air con,......

May be CFS should do a booklet of what type appliances they are willing to let brigade's have like they do with fire stations...you select what your brigade needs...
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 10:21:28 AM »
That is what CFS were doing, when we got our new truck two years now....our 14 was up for replacement, and were were given three choices for the replacement 14 - we got to look over them, and decide what we wanted - and that's what we got.....  not sure about the 34 / 34P appliances....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Hicksflat14

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 12:10:35 PM »
What does a CFS pumper require a 3 stage 1250GPM pump for? That's a lot of water. I've seen that sort of thing on appliances in the US and you just don't need that sort of pumping capacity here. There aren't that many places you could get that type of volume metric flow rate from. You'd need a very large main, sea, river, boost tank, then you actually need to be able to use it. Not to mention you'd have to go 100mm (4 inch) hose lines to get the full benefit. A 600GPM 2 stage PTO is more than enough on a single appliance. If you need more water than that, then job is big that you would have more appliances.

Remote room mounted monitors are a nice idea but they require maintenance and are ultimately unreliable. That and they are usually fixed to the appliance. Its much better to have something manual you can unbolt and move around. A remote monitor capable of 1250GPM is probably going to be hydraulically driven and require big bucks (even though I understand were using a blank check book here).

Once again the CFS doesn't need BA sets mounted in the appliance. You need a very large cab to be able to swing around and not get tangled up on the way out, particularly with our old 200bar cylinders. There are some OH&S issues involved not to mention wear and tear on the harness by people sitting in them when they don't need to be used. If you cant quickly pull the set out from the locker and don as your walking toward the job you need to do some more training.

Automatic gearboxes for fire appliances in general is a good idea be it pumper or other, although its probably easier to get an automatic gear box to suit a pumper than a 34P.

The type 2s are a nice appliance just need 2x90m HP lines. I'm not a big fan of rear mounted pumps but I understand why some people are, i.e. your further away from the engine so its quieter and you can see down both sides of the appliance.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 05:53:51 PM »
Summary 1
Scania 94G 300
Automatic gearbox.
B.A. seats in the cabin.
Darley Midmount 3 Stage Pump 3800 lpm
2 x 90 Metre Hose Reels
Remote controlled roof mounted monitor.
Oxy Viva as standard stowage on all appliances
Remote deck mounted monitor similar to MFB
Plenty of LED lighting Front Back and sides
Side out heavy rescue
Air conditioning

Still Questionable
Water capacity
4WD or not
Some form of monitor

Now in about a mont we can send it to CFS and say Build this  :lol:

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 11:08:16 PM »
when i say 4wd i dont mean full on off road 4x4, i mean so that it can better handle rough dirt roads, at a minimum it would need a lockable rear differential and some sort of upgraded suspension, mabey even an air suspension cabin like they use on prime movers would do the job.

2000L works well, half the time you are just using HP lines... which are only about 270LMP max (i think)

As for a monitor, i say spend the $$ on better rescue gear, and just get a pad monitor. are you really going to want to put your truck that close to something requiring a monitor, and remember it is gong to be a PTO pump, so no pump and roll capacity!!,
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 01:58:17 PM »
have any of you with these ideas spoken to your regional rep on the state vehicle and equipment committee?  cos that's how ideas are put forward and improvements made.  Also there is a "Vehicle Scoping Workshop - more with less" event coming up at the STC in July (by invitation only).

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 02:05:29 PM »
2000 or 2500L is fine unless you go dual rear axle then you could go up a bit. 750 or 1000Gpm is fine as long as it has a high pressure stage.

I think at least 2 CABA seats to help save locker space and it can be utilised in burnovers.
It would still need curtains, spray bar etc.

2wd is fine but needs good clearence and suitable tyres/ suspension etc...

Who is the region 1 vehicle committe rep? and how do i get an invite to this meeting?

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 02:26:03 PM »
good luck trying to get on any state committee
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 03:05:02 PM »
Who is the region 1 vehicle committe rep? and how do i get an invite to this meeting?

Peter Bonython. Ask your G.O. or ring the regional office.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 03:10:23 PM »
good luck trying to get on any state committee

is it good luck?!  but anyway you don't have to get on the committee yourself, simply put your ideas to your regional rep.  This is the problem with many in the CFS, they are happy to bitch and moan on a web forum or around the bar after training but never put their ideas/suggestions to the people who can raise them in the appropriate forum.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 05:55:01 PM »
well it is good to know there is some where that we can go to give feedback and present ideas.

Offline Stefan KIRKMOE

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 10:46:08 AM »
Just because a pump is PTO driven doesn't mean it can't "Pump & Roll" It just depends on what style PTO system you use. The existing Burnside Pumper is able to be Pump & Roll and also has a stand alone removable pump. The removable pump is hooked up so it can either be used for pump & roll or removed to used from a swimming pool etc. Probably wouldn't be such a bad idea to have a de-mountable aux. pump on the vehicle too...
As for the blank cheque book... By using Holmatro "Core" technology would probably again reduce required locker space.....
Whils on it the blank cheque book carbon fibre BA cylinders would be nice....

-Stefan

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 10:03:20 PM »
Having been in the service since 75 the vehicle specs seem to be going in reverse.What we used to purpose build as a brigade to suit our demographics of our response area in appliances we are now getting budget built fire appliances.
Why would you go from a two HP line appliance to a single on a Type 2 Pumper.

Stirling Pumper is a classic example of a victim of a budget ie the pump!!

If they had fitted the one that was supposed to have gone on that appliance it would'nt be offline as often  :evil:IMO
Images are copyright