Author Topic: NEW 34  (Read 168146 times)

Offline gloscfs

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: NEW 34
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2005, 03:04:50 PM »
Hi Andrew

I am a new member in this forum, I was reading about the new 34's and was wondering how is Glossop's  going and can we have the dimensions of the units please. Sorry to look pushy but we are happily waiting.

Wagon 1

« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2005, 03:10:42 PM »
I think we should give it a rest about the Happy Valley issue, we don't know whats going on. I think you will find they don't have a problem with the truck, but the way the process of getting it happened.

We can whinge on the forum all we like, but it doesn't help their case for change.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2005, 03:57:05 PM »
i think they seem to have a problem with what they are getting... not the proces by which they are getting it...

AN URBAN STATION IS LOSING AN URBAN PUMPER AND GETTING A RURAL 34

i think its obvious what theyre problem is.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2005, 04:11:58 PM »
From my point of view being a fire fighter for 6 years i reckon that the new 34 appliances should be issued to the brigades who are very busy with RCR and industrial fires and those brigades who are less activegiven refurbished appliances

However the only setbacks with these new 34 appliances is the OHS&W risk involved becasue when it comes to attacking a grass fire the crew have to get out of the crew cab and attack it, should a burn over occur the crew are more likely to sustain ankle and leg injuries while scrambling into the crew cab

In my opinion the tradional 34 appliances e.g. open back and side door appliances are much better despite not having sprinkler systems as bthe crews can hop on the truck quickly and put out a running grass fire safely without getting off the back
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2005, 04:42:33 PM »
Understand your point robert, but i think the brigades doing lots of RCR and structure related work should be getting pumpers rather than 34s...

by the way i think dual-cabs probably pose larger benefits to crews than open back style applainces.. most of the new 34s have a crew deck attached as well as the cab, which has fire curtains in it.. plus there are the benefits of comfort, air con and being able to hear/see whats going on, with the rest of the crew in cab.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2005, 08:10:59 PM »
Thats very true MEDEVAC but if my brigade got issued with a brand spanking new 34 dual cab there would be a drag race to the fire shed to see who gets first tips of responding in the new unit  :lol:

But yeah you are right on the money with the advantages of the new dual cab having air conditioning and fire blankets and the crew being able to know what is happening rather than having to wait until arrival at incident
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2005, 08:54:34 AM »
I have to admit that the Burnover awnings on the new appliance are pretty good. They are stronger, thicker and give better coverage on the back. And the A/C in the crew cab there's only one thing to say about this, SWEEEEEET...... :-D
Lt. Goolwa CFS

strikeathird

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »
From my point of view being a fire fighter for 6 years i reckon that the new 34 appliances should be issued to the brigades who are very busy with RCR and industrial fires and those brigades who are less activegiven refurbished appliances

However the only setbacks with these new 34 appliances is the OHS&W risk involved becasue when it comes to attacking a grass fire the crew have to get out of the crew cab and attack it, should a burn over occur the crew are more likely to sustain ankle and leg injuries while scrambling into the crew cab

In my opinion the tradional 34 appliances e.g. open back and side door appliances are much better despite not having sprinkler systems as bthe crews can hop on the truck quickly and put out a running grass fire safely without getting off the back
From my point of view being a fire fighter for 6 years i reckon that the new 34 appliances should be issued to the brigades who are very busy with RCR and industrial fires

Im sorry mate, but when you have spent those 6 years in a brigade doing 300 + calls a year, with anything up to 30 Structure Fires, any where up to 40 odd MVA's (not all requiring rescue).. 40 private alarms etc, I think you would understand why these brigades would need Urban Pumpers over a Rural 34..  I don't know if you are familiar with boosting either, but this also comes into play with responses for such brigades...& if you mentioned the comment I quoted above to members of those brigades, they would probably laugh...

The idea of running a 34 with rescue for a very rural brigade may work well when u have all of 10 calls a year, but when the work load is at the opposite end of the scale, and operationally you are attending a whole different range of jobs, its throws things into a different perspective, and quite simply a rural 34 won't cut it for some of these brigades. 

However I understand your experience may be limited to a more rural environment and not the sutuations I have explained.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2005, 12:51:54 PM »
You have hit the nail right in the head stirkeathird it's true my 6 years of fire fighting has only been confined to rural area response but when it comes to averaging 10 or so callouts a year all depends on the type of weather but most times half of our callouts end up being stop calls

Also what you said is true having a new rural 34 appliance in our station not being used very often is not viable as it wont get used all the time
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 12:54:16 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2005, 01:19:47 PM »
Also what you said is true having a new rural 34 appliance in our station not being used very often is not viable as it wont get used all the time

I cant find where I said that, but I agree.

rescue5271

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2005, 01:59:26 PM »
I understand that all rear entry 34 and 24 are to be replaced before any other brigade gets a new appliances not sure if that means you will get a new 34 or a refurb job but most of the rear entry appliances are to be removed from service......

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2005, 02:13:22 PM »
I understand that all rear entry 34 and 24 are to be replaced before any other brigade gets a new appliances not sure if that means you will get a new 34 or a refurb job but most of the rear entry appliances are to be removed from service......

The first few 34's this year went to brigades with old vehicles but the other ten or so 34's are all going to brigades with appliances under 10yrs of age so i guess the CFS are looking at sending out a heap of refurb, 34's. Never know Robert34 you lot might  get one down there early-mid next year if your brigade pushes for one!!
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2005, 03:42:31 PM »
I sure hope so mundcfs as our truck is 19 years old but also our truck has the only working water level meter in the whole Wattle Range Division that was made by a CFS volunteer
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2005, 04:54:53 PM »
I hate to tell you guys but when youre fighting a factory/domestic/retirement home/hospital/school fire a good crew protection system and a nice air conditioner wont help!!

Also most RCR brigades would barely fit their RCR gear on a 34 let alone any fire equipment!!

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2005, 05:36:12 PM »
TillerMan  is correct I have had a look at the new 34 and not enough room for rescue equipment :mrgreen:

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2005, 06:20:08 PM »
Not much room for much equipment at all, especially hoses
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2005, 07:13:39 PM »
Even on our 2000 model 24P there is no space it's completely chocka block full of RCR and urban gear i don't understand how some brigades can carry HAZMAT aswell as RCR epuipment on the urban trucks, and as for our new 34 if you took out the BA brackets you could fit an RCR pump there :-D, and that about covers all of your spare space.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2005, 01:44:09 PM »
well may be its about time some brigades looked at getting a stand alone rescue/hazmat unit and let the 34/24/pumper just do fire cover jobs. I went to KI some years ago and there was a nice 24 from the mainland with its RCR gear still on the appliances the home brigade forgot to remove it before it went over???? stand alone units are the best and you would be surprised at how much gear does fit into a empty fire appliances....

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2005, 02:19:22 PM »
If food stamps could get us a stand alone rescue truck then we'd have one but there aren't that many $$$$ being thrown around out there! But i see your point going out of area you wouldn't have to worry about there being no rescue gear in your area!!
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2005, 05:00:37 PM »
Thats very true as there are always brigades that are RCR trained not far away even if a RCR brigade say for example Penola goes to a Road Crash Rescue over the border and the same sort of emergency happens outside of Kalangadoo the Millicent RCR CFS crew has got our backs covered
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2005, 05:06:07 PM »
Yeah good luck getting a stand alone appliance if you dont already have one.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2005, 03:25:53 PM »
Andrew I was wondering if you have a spear second how are the new 34 going? Have you got them all done yet or still being held up?

rescue5271

« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2005, 06:19:47 AM »
has anyone had any problems with the primer on the new 34"s?? Ours did burn out last year and since then we have had nothing but problems with it,unable to prime and it has been sent away to get fixed but still not working.

Offline Andrew

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Quik Corp - the reel experts
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2005, 08:18:12 AM »
We have all the 34 appliances completed. We have been waiting on the green light for the water halo system for the can - and that seems to be given the nod.

We are in the process of getting the required materials together and finishing the halos off.

We were hoping to get the out before Christmas, but that is not looking good

Early new year we are now hoping for.  The 14 unit are Nealy finished, some have been delivered.
It is not what you did wrong, but who you can blame!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2005, 01:30:46 PM »
Andrew just wondering if the first few 34's that came out this year will be fitted with the halo or is it just these last ten or so??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

anything