Author Topic: NEW 34  (Read 166258 times)

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: NEW 34
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005, 01:56:49 PM »
David you said one went to the pump, the other went straight to the tank? I must be missing a link in the brain my next question then will be why? :? :? I thought it would be better to be able to hook up to the boosters. Could you try to explain it to me.

strikeathird

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005, 03:44:09 PM »
HA!  Exactly Backburn......  WHY !!!!

I think alot of people have asked that question about a number of issues over the years !

Wagon 1

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 08:22:26 AM »
I don't know Backburn, I guess the were designed as a rural truck, not for boosting, even though the seem to be going to a large number of brigades that have multiple boosters in there area's. But its ok MFS will help out when we can't do it.

rescue5271

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 07:30:39 AM »
Lets face people a 34p is still and always will be a rural appliances,and its about time someone up the ladder had a serious look into what brigades need in the way of appliances instead of coming up with these so called part time pumpers that are just rural appliances. A pumper is a pumper and the 34 is still a 34 rural appliances,better still forme a committee made up of members from the region's and give new blood ago at being on these working party's.......

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 08:58:54 AM »
Where i come from may be in a small town but we still have 5 boosters around our town. We will have to wait for another truck to come in from another town, luckily both towns are only 5 to 10 Min's away.

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2005, 09:35:58 PM »
I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the external lighting is like on the new 34's.  Judging from the pictures I have seen, there doesn't seem to be a great deal.

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2005, 06:51:50 AM »
As in work lighting? only 2 spotlights either side and one pump worklight and some rear deck lighting.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2005, 04:45:31 PM »
So yeah, back to the 34, it is a nice rig, its about time C.F.S started building some practical (non plastic) appliances. Would be nice to test one of the new turbo isuzu's compared to the first non turbo isuzu's.

I assure you from the 2000 model 24p (Non Turbo) to this years 34 (Turbo) there is a lot of difference. It leaves our 24 for dead. It is limited in normal driving to 108kph but when the "Oscars" are on the limiter is off. we've had ours up to 125kph but that was on a very flat road. Speaking to a moores eng. rep the other day he believes on the freeway they should top 135kph, but thats pretty excessive for a top heavy truck like that.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2005, 05:04:24 PM »
David you said one went to the pump, the other went straight to the tank? I must be missing a link in the brain my next question then will be why? :? :? I thought it would be better to be able to hook up to the boosters. Could you try to explain it to me.

SA water is kicking up a stink about back flow in to the mains so the inlet has a one way valve and goes straight to the tank.  Yes the new 34 does travel a bit because anymore weight to the front and the front axle would be overloaded and you would end up with springs like the AFC 24p's. apparently that model isuzu without a back on it with seven people in the cab was near the front axle max weight.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Wagon 1

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2005, 06:17:07 PM »
But how come they are only doing it on the one truck, what about the rest of the 34P's and Type 2 pumpers, do they have the one way valve?

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2005, 08:54:38 PM »
I believe that the the 34P has a 'tank fill' inlet on the passengers side near the rear wheels.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2005, 08:17:22 AM »
A tank fill inlet is very common on applainces being built these days. It usually is designed so the water drops into the tank so tank water is isolated from mains water.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2005, 12:23:14 PM »
What's that, do I understand the post? The limiter is disabled when the lights and sirens are on?
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2005, 12:57:27 PM »
:-D pretty neat hey!!

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2005, 05:22:48 PM »
Well, yes, but not fair....

The 24P we have had for just over a year now is a real goer but the limiter cutting in at 105ish is really quite painful.

Given that we often travel in excess of 20km to priority one jobs on open (110kmh) roads it would be a very, very nice trick.

Not normally a jealous fire truck envy type person, but.....

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2005, 05:30:41 PM »
Well, yes, but not fair....

The 24P we have had for just over a year now is a real goer but the limiter cutting in at 105ish is really quite painful.

Given that we often travel in excess of 20km to priority one jobs on open (110kmh) roads it would be a very, very nice trick.

Interesting someone i spoke to at Happy Valley CFS said that Clarendon's 24p had that function?? Possibly 34's only??

Maybe if you spoke to your regional maint. person or sandy patterson you could get it put on your truck, considering on a  pretty flat road they reckon 130kph isn't out of the question!

Not normally a jealous fire truck envy type person, but.....
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2005, 09:09:29 PM »
Kat i think everyone who got you're type of 24p sent them back to isuzu to get them fitted. Clarendon has one of the same 24p's and sent theirs back.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2005, 01:56:56 PM »
Will be looking into that one ASAP.

Wagon 1

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2005, 07:16:18 PM »
I would Kat, Woodside have one on there's and it actually pulls away up German Town hill for those that know the area. They used Balhannah's 2000 model 24P (which is non-turbo) up the same hill and they could have walked faster !!

rescue5271

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2005, 08:37:40 PM »
Our 34 gets to about 105 and cuts out then cuts in and its a real pain,but its also a safety issue with drives as the 34 we have is very high and if you dont drive it alot you dont know how to handly it on the road...

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2005, 09:10:33 AM »
hmmm im not so sure speed limiters should be removed COMPLETELY... even in emergency vehicles.... perhaps adjusted to give them an extra 15 or 20 Ks?

becasue im sure its not evryone, but i knwow there are some stupid (or just adrenalin charged) people out there who would see how much they can wind it up...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2005, 04:11:24 PM »
Have to agree with you on that one OMGWTF, had to return ours to Moore's yesterday for a long list of warranty work  :-( and the strath end of the strath to goolwa road makes for some white knuckle driving :-o below the speed limit let alone on a P1 drive!! An adjustment on the limiter for an extra 15-20 kph would be better than a free for all on open roads that may not be familiar to the driver!!
Lt. Goolwa CFS

strikeathird

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2005, 06:10:11 PM »
I think the limiter is just over ridden when in P1 conditions... It is still active when the Beacons/Flashers are off....

It's up to the driver to drive to the conditions under P1, and if he/she is driving unsafely, then the officer/crew should say something...

I don't think the limiters are actually "removed"......  (Will stand corrected if that is not the case).

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2005, 08:55:40 AM »
Yes, when the beacons switch is turned on the limiter is overridden.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Wagon 1

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2005, 04:46:20 PM »
Well I guess it comes back to the officer having control over their drivers, I think its a great idea, nothing worse than going down the highway and only being able to go 105 km/h, and having everyone passing you like your standing still.

Drive to the conditions, and don't put up with idiot drivers in your brigade.

anything