Author Topic: portable radios  (Read 15531 times)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: portable radios
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 10:26:58 AM »
I was referring to the New CFS Narrow Band VHF Radios ozfire
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 11:30:37 AM »
I was referring to the New CFS Narrow Band VHF Radios ozfire
Excellent- however still can't see why SAAS or SAPOL would need VHF, when they can communicate on GRN - with their focus being communication with officers, not fire fighters on the line.

As for VHF - CFA have access as do I believe NSWRFS to some of our frequencies enabling cross service communications
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

rescue5271

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 09:12:57 AM »
The new vhf works well as we founf out helping the cfa with the fire's at edenhope last month we where able to talk to their appliances and it worked better tha grn as we where out of range of the grn tower...

Offline steved01

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2006, 08:56:49 AM »
As for VHF - CFA have access as do I believe NSWRFS to some of our frequencies enabling cross service communications

They are not 'our frequencies'. These VHF narrowband frequencies have been allocated nationally by the national licensing authority to emergency services.  Along the SA/VIC border some of the users are, NRE, CFA, CFS, ForestrySA and probably more. That is the reason that RFS can use them locally when they come and is a little bit of sense in the total confusion that is the huge number of differing communication systems across the nation.
3rd law of radiant heat: When your warning lights melt, it's a sign that you parked too close.

probie_boy

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2006, 09:57:14 AM »
some standardisation would be good. but hey, like thats going to happen! does anyone know what comms systems CFA and RFS use?

Offline steved01

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2006, 02:56:47 PM »
Both CFA and RFS use their own Government Radio Network. Of course none of which are compatible with anyone else.  Once again the lines on the map make all the difference.
3rd law of radiant heat: When your warning lights melt, it's a sign that you parked too close.

probie_boy

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2006, 10:18:02 AM »
interesting. maybe we should have two national channels on our GRN systems where we can communicate inter agency without going on VHF at large incidents. Then for example Murray bridge 24 could speak direct with the truck behind him, Ararat 24.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 10:33:57 AM »
interesting. maybe we should have two national channels on our GRN systems where we can communicate inter agency without going on VHF at large incidents. Then for example Murray bridge 24 could speak direct with the truck behind him, Ararat 24.

Spoke to a techo in Sydney who said that the separate state-based GRN systems could be linked by common talkgroups, but the cost would be enormous.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

probie_boy

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2006, 10:43:58 AM »
yeah plus the red tape. God what was i thinking, a logical system?!?! duh!

rescue5271

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2006, 03:08:04 PM »
The contract is up soon so we will see what we get next,i thing i still have some cans and string in the shed :lol:

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2006, 03:10:45 PM »
I reckon the string might get tangled though!!

We should just have cadets on bikes relay messages like in the war days!!    :-P

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2006, 03:11:23 PM »
And Telstra may have a few spare phone booths we could install :roll:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.