Author Topic: SAAS Station Codes  (Read 37729 times)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SAAS Station Codes
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 06:59:58 AM »
hmmm im gonna presume they are now using these cat7's as change of quarters instead of cat 5s like they used too...

probie_boy

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 12:25:23 PM »
meh, not my service!

PF_

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 04:39:38 PM »
It could be carrying a Deceased person or stop for lunch along the way and take the scenic route?

Offline Sam

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 09:04:29 AM »
Gday,

I saw a pager message the other day saying we are not using the old cat 1 anymore. It is now called "STAR" or something... This would most likely explain it i think.

Sam

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »
I am waiting on a SAAS info pack to come in my mail box as im seriously considering joining the ambos so i can add another certificate to my resume as well as keep busy during the winter when there isnt any fire calls happening
Kalangadoo Brigade

probie_boy

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2006, 01:03:48 PM »
yeah, well we've all gotta find a way to pass those lonely days in kalangadoo don't we robert?? :wink: (this, by the way, is a joke)

PF_

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 04:26:29 PM »
Isnt being in SAAS a fulltime job like the MFS or SAPOL, rather than just something to do int he winter?

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2006, 07:32:49 PM »
Actually PF Its a volunteer job like i am doing now so i'd be rostered on when a volunteer SAAS crew is needed for Penola... also if i obtain Cert 4 in Emergency Care i'll be able to get a job as an industrial site first response medical personnel
Kalangadoo Brigade

PF_

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2006, 05:56:07 AM »
Is that the thing that was on the news a few weeks ago, volunteer paramedics? 

Thats cool, I thought about joining full-time SAAS maybe if I dont get into MFS or SAPOL.  Is it hard to get into like the MFS?

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 06:47:57 AM »
Well joining as a volunteer paramedic might later on get you a full time job PF although most of the fulltime IC paramedics are career SAAS personnel meaning that they went to uni and got diploma or bachelor degrees in Emergency Intensive Care
Kalangadoo Brigade

probie_boy

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 10:44:05 AM »
fulltime para's are harder to get into P F, purely because you've pretty well got to be a full on nurse to do it. several years of med school ahoy.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 11:18:13 AM »
not necessarily

probie_boy

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 11:22:58 AM »
oh god, i can't be right with anything today! alright, listen to someone else, i give up :cry:.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 11:54:14 AM »
To be a paramedic you can do the uni course but then theres no garuntee of work.... but if you get into SAAS to become one then they put you through uni and pay you for it, i don't believe there's any physical based assement but the exam to get into it is A LOT harder than MFS.

Your best bet is become a volunteer Ambulance Officer which requires that you be under a certain Body Mass Index and go through an interview withe the station you wish to join.  After that you under take the course which is run by the vollie stations, as well as the theory a certain amount of hours must be done on the truck as a third/observer before you can pass.

Once a vollie you can apply for paid AO positions or ATS work.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 12:15:40 PM »
there may be other ways as well but here are the two main ones;

1) uni - go through the uni course (health sciences for ambulance studies) this is three years fulltime and your NOT garanteed a job.

2)diploma (like an apprenticeship) - apply for the diploma when they offer it (im not sure if they still are or if it is finished), if you are accepted you are then 'trained as you go' to a degree... you are given three months or so in a 'boot camp' then assigned to a station and put on the road, you then alternate between several months on the road and in the school room. you graduate as a paramedic, without the uni quals... worth noting that to become an ICP you will (may) then have to go to uni and do the course...

being a vollie will assist you in getting in, due to the work experience it provides, but it is in no way sure thing... also, getting into ambos is a damn site harder than MFS not necessarily on the fitness side of things, but in the maths/science/english/aptitude tests.

probie_boy

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2006, 12:31:27 PM »
yeah, well i think thats what my uncle was considering doing a while back, not sure now though

PF_

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006, 12:43:53 PM »
My main aim is to get into MFS mainly or SAPOL.  Might join SAPOL then try for MFS, or whatever recruit course comes first when I leave school and get all the requirements.  SAPOL loks good for MFS.

Dont want to do 9-5 office job, if none of these work, go diesel mechanic and get to play with big trucks.  Im living a 5 year olds dream, IM a big boy! :-P

probie_boy

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2006, 12:56:38 PM »
can you wipe your own a**? hahaha :wink:

strikeathird

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2006, 01:41:45 PM »
1925612 13:02:43 06-04-06 F89 Cat6 Adelaide Radiotherapy Ctr 352 South Tce, Adelaide 3 H16

Cat 6?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2006, 05:03:47 PM »
Cat 6 i believe is the lowest priority transfer, looking at that page probably soeone being picked up from there and being taken back to N/Home, Hospital, or Private Residence etc etc...
Lt. Goolwa CFS

strikeathird

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2006, 07:02:51 PM »
Roger ta.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2006, 07:13:40 PM »
cat6 = ransfer no treatment required.

strikeathird

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2006, 07:25:38 PM »
Did you find out what the Cat 7 response was ?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2006, 07:32:45 PM »
nah... havent seen it in agess either...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2006, 09:55:40 PM »
When ever SAAS is called to my parents house for an emergency which is normally my dad falling over the wrong way accidentally resulting in his hip popping out the responding ambulance crew uses cat 3 which is a not serious situation but requires active treatment

I know this cause many times i've had to help the crews with carrying equipment to where ever my dad has fallen down as well as guide them into the driveway

There only has been one situation where he popped his hip out while checking a water pump power circut in a spud paddock of course i didnt know that this happened until it came over the scanner  :-) :-(
Kalangadoo Brigade

anything