Author Topic: CFS/MFS training levels  (Read 11196 times)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
CFS/MFS training levels
« on: March 21, 2006, 01:32:38 PM »
Some people have been sprouting on this group that a CFS person with L3 and BA is more highly trained than MFS retained firies. Well I would have agreed with you about a year ago. I have been a CFS vollie for over 15 years and have now been an MFS retained Firefighter for 3 months so have seen both sides.Well I am not going to say that mets are better but their training and their levels are definitely of a similar standard.All MFS firefighters have to do BA and a Hose/Ladder course before they can even ride the appliances. Virtually everyone does RCR, most do HAZMAT, we do First Aid every year including advanced Resus (for oxy viva). Train weekly and have to learn pumps thouroughly before being appointed as a driver.These standards apply across the state.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CFS/MFS training levels
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 01:45:16 PM »
bring on national standards..... no argument then!  :-D

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 02:08:32 PM »
ath - you make a valid point about changes in training delivered.
Good to see services evolve and change their attitude towards training, informing and equipping crews for the incidents they attend.

CFS is no different, the transition from Level 1 to BFF1 has seen many fire fighters receive an advanced level of training that those who undertook the Level 1 a couple of years ago didn't experience - they are now also given a better understanding of Hazamt, structure fires and RCR than ever before!

The great thing about being in emergency services, they always change, new skills always come in and slowly they all filter down to the crews on the ground - ensuring a better level of service to the community
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

probie_boy

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 12:50:26 PM »
oh man, i gotta work like a dog to be in mets! i think that CFS and MFS have worked well together at the jobs i've been to.

i am under the impression of why fix something thats not broken?

PF_

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 03:20:52 PM »
Yeah same, need to get first aid certificate (hope to get that through CFS) and an MR licence when IM 18 (might be able to get that through CFS too) 

Dunno if I have to do much fitness work (I am pretty fit) as did and kinda still do cycling, do tennis and have started distance running. Maybe a bit of weights work for the strength requiring activities in the Pat2 test. CFS training should be an advantage I would imagine, especially if you are BA trained, CFB trained etc.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 04:33:15 PM »
The only area i see where the MFS Retainers fall short of CFS vollies is those that have done the Compartment Fire Behaviour course.

After doing it myself it was a big eye opener and really im scared to go into a building with a person that doesnt have that training (no offence ath or matt).

It certainly is life saving training.  probaly the most important in my cfs career.

Cameron
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 04:58:58 PM »
The only area i see where the MFS Retainers fall short of CFS vollies is those that have done the Compartment Fire Behaviour course.

MFS full-timers are doing it now and hopefully is Regional guys will get to do it down the track.

Offline F.B.R.T

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 06:58:56 PM »
It's good to see the CFS doing hot compartment training and hopefully our organization will look at it for us.

Several years ago, we had an officer from Adelaide demonstate to us on station, using a model timber house a flashover simulation which was actually quite effective.

It reinforced what I was originally taught in my hot firepad course years ago, and I have since used the techniques taught on both these training sessions on real fires which had the possibility of "flashing over"

The aspect of this training that impressed me the most was the little amount of water used to extinguish the fire, thus reducing water damage.

The old days of going in and blasting everything with a 64mm hose is long since over.........

Regards, Mat
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 08:04:40 PM »
Not really knowing alot about your training Matt.

What does the MFS teach in regards to preventing flashovers etc.

And just structural extinguishment in general?  Do you walk in and blast the **** outa it...or something a little more delicate?

Camo
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline F.B.R.T

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 08:43:17 PM »
In short, they teach on entry into possible "flashover" situation that short blasts on fog with TFT to wards ceiling or roof area will cool fire gases sufficiently to prevent flashover.

In general extinguishment, we are told to use "powercone" position on TFT's to efficiently extinguish fire with minimal water.

Much better than flooding places out! :-)

Regards, Mat

strikeathird

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 09:37:18 PM »
Sounds to be similar tactics as those taught in CFB.

I agree with camo re. the CFB course.  I havn't learnt more on any other course ... Definately an eye opener !

Good to hear Retained Mets getting a go in the CFB cells.

and glad we can have good inter-agency discussion on the forums !!

Offline F.B.R.T

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 09:45:29 PM »
What Camo says is definitely correct regarding that it is "life saving" training!

It is a real eye opener as what can happen and how easily it can be prevented.

I believe that our management are looking at sending some of our crew to use the compartment firefighting simulator at Naracoorte, but I'm not entirely sure of when.

Regards, Mat

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 07:23:27 AM »
I thought the CFB was good, but not the best course.
Theory, dolls house was excellent
Why would you go in a building that was on fire like that!!
Sure the training was good for what happens if you get in trouble and how to read the fire.
I think some people came out of the course thinking that they can do anything now they have done a course.
I have spoken to both MFS and CFS ff about this

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 07:50:32 AM »
I thought the CFB was good, but not the best course.
Theory, dolls house was excellent
Why would you go in a building that was on fire like that!!
Sure the training was good for what happens if you get in trouble and how to read the fire.
I think some people came out of the course thinking that they can do anything now they have done a course.
I have spoken to both MFS and CFS ff about this

Why would you go in? You would conduct a dynamic risk assessment (taught on the course) if considered safe a trained crew can cool the gases lift the neutral plane and enter the sructure for rescue purposes.

Remember that this training is for safety and what to do if you find yourself in trouble. But it is more than that, it should equip fire fighters to think tactically and understand the capabilities of their equipment and skills. This will hopefully result in more property saved and less lives lost.

Offline F.B.R.T

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 09:54:13 AM »
Remember that this training is for safety and what to do if you find yourself in trouble. But it is more than that, it should equip fire fighters to think tactically and understand the capabilities of their equipment and skills. This will hopefully result in more property saved and less lives lost.

Spot on!!

Couldn't be said better!!

Regards, Mat

probie_boy

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 10:00:21 AM »
everyone, a small round of applause for firefrog! hahaha :-D

Offline Del

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 08:43:48 PM »
Firefrog...  You The Man!!!!1
Del

probie_boy